1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I've used one of those makeshift tools to press headset cups on a bike before, but I suspect that the car bits will need considerably more force to press than a threaded rod and a couple of plastic washers can provide. That press linked to by IanW is rated for 6 tons, for example.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Unfortunately I've already tried a hand tool - It's basically a bigger, uglier, version of those. I may have another crack at it tomorrow if I can be bothered, and the weather's not cruddy, but tbh at this point I'm thinking getting someone else to do it might be the easier option.

3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

You can view the auction after it’s posted and set offers to be automatically rejected below a given level.

I don’t remember exactly where it was but think it was somewhere on the review offers bit.

Wish they still put it on the posting form. I’m never gonna let something go for less than around 85-90% my original asking unless I’m wildly off base in the first place.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You have to switch to the "Advanced Listing" tool in order to disable Offers, and I cannot for the life of me remember how I changed that setting. Their suggested "reject offers below this price" was £200. For an item I'm listing at £400. No. It's a custom built hexacopter drone that I am not willing to ship; it's not a smartphone app-controlled drone that you'd buy for your kids, and it's not something you'd probably be interested in unless you're already into the hobby. That's why it's not selling, not because it's "too expensive".

It just annoys the crap out of me. I know the price I want to sell something for, and if I want to sell it for less then I will list it for less.

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I've not had anything on a car or motorbike that couldn't be removed with a length of threaded studding, a couple of nuts, a couple of washers and sockets ( the sockets go in place of those crappy plastic washers (small socket to engage bush / bearing and pass through, large socket on tother side))

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, my concern was more the plastic washers than the threaded rod, to be fair :D

7. Aurora_USA

Aurora_USA What's a Dremel?

One word - laziness

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Messers. Dirty, no good time wasting messers. I am so pissed off right now.

So I list my RC gear on Facebook. Get loads of interest, but mainly from messers who gave themselves away very quickly. One guy said "I only want the Cougar" even though the ad stated I would not split, would not drop on price and the Cougar alone cost me £450 to build. So those were easy. Idiots thinking I will give the car away, and keep the cheap car. No thanks. So they got brushed aside, as usual. Then some guy says he wants the bundle, etc etc. Messages me loads. I call off my weekend visit to my mother, spent about an hour getting them out, cleaning them, getting them running etc and he messaged me around 5 saying he would be here soon and nothing. Then he vanished, must have blocked me or something. So I finally get to cook my f*****g dinner at 7:30 and now I am super, duper pissed off.

Why do people do it? I don't understand. I even said I would throw in a Lambo Countach about 80% complete for free. Car kit alone cost me £120, then the radio gear was another £50.

FFS.

9. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

They're all out there... On all platforms sadly. I listed my SFF barebones kit cheap on Gumtree, a couple of cheeky offers, then a couple of 'Is this still available?'
    I (as ever) politely replied yes, still available, then nothing....
    Hope you're on the mend, V-T too many germs at the moment.

Had a Gumtree run in the other way round yesterday. Drove 40 mis across town to buy a cheap i3 '2nd/3rd gen Core' PC. I didn't open the case until I got home and found it was H55 1st gen Core. Messaged the guy to express my disappointment (caveat emptor as ever...) snd got the brush off, 'It's i3 3.2 it's old and i forgot what the spec was'. I asked specifically for confirmation what gen it was before i agreed to go over.
    Too trusting :duh:
    Not all bad tho'
    Anyway, it is OK, interestingly has 2 PCIe slots - lower one is full length PCIE 4x and the i3 has OC'd up to 4.2 on BCKL and lowered multi so far.
    Easy fun and no problem if it goes pop.
    Xeon X3430 quad at a tenner looks a good upgrade, hopefully it may clock nicely too. Will be interesting to see how that may compare to the i5 750 in my daughter's s1156 PC.

10. Vault-Tec

Oddly enough my health has returned. I dunno man, I really do think that sometimes depression causes illness, or "faux" illness. I remember before I ever took mood stabilisers. The back pain was horrific. It got so bad that they actually had me do physio therapy. I start taking pills and bang, not had any back pain since. Then I read that Bipolar causes back pain. All those bloody years. At times I could only sleep for about three hours, then I was up pacing around until the agony stopped. It sucked.

And my reward? now I am coming out of the depression and have more energy than I've had in months and am up later than I have been in about two months. But yeah, yesterday I had a really bad throat, runny nose, sneezing like mad and cold sweating and now nothing.

Oh well. At least I get to laugh like a 12 year old for a while.

11. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Got sent £400 this morning whoa, so i can see it in my wallet, however because the wallet is coded like crap, it's not recognising my password...

fml

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

This a cryptowallet, I assume? If you've got your seed words, just stick 'em in a better wallet and job's a good 'un. You might even want to think about a hardware wallet - I use the old Ledger HW.1, which you sadly can't get any more.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Posted on Edies (My partner) Facebook page about her recent COPD exacerbation and this evening her son phoned complaining that he had to find out via Facebook, this from a wealthy banker son who stays a half hour away cannot even be bothered to pick up the phone once a week to his 74 year old mother. A son who when he did arrange a rare meeting would expect her to get the bus because it was to much bother for him to drive his flashy BMW down to pick her up.
    Whilst he was moaning that Edie had not told him she had an exacerbation I happened to hear and shouted that perhaps he should phone his mum more often. The overgrown bairn hung up, banker should be spelled with a w.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2017
  14. Vault-Tec

People mate. Seriously, I despair. My Nana was called Edie. Well, Edith, but every one called her Edie. Lovely name, wish I had a little girl she would have been called that :)

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I thought it was! :p

16. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I already have a Nano S, this was for the real Ethereum Mist wallet because i needed to create a contract, however its a load of crock.

Tried exporting my keys to myetherwallet.com and getting into the account however just keeps repeating 'Wrong Password'

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Won a couple of bird feeders and food, one offers peanuts and the other seed. Got them hung up in the communal back garden and apart from the birds eating the spilled seed not a one has gone to the feeders themselves.
    Going to erect a sign with an arrow pointing to feeders saying free food here. :naughty::naughty:

MLyons likes this.
  18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

the semi-annual tradition of everyone, inadvertently or not, basically rubbing my face in how skint I am...

Merry ****ing Christmas...

P.S. Knock that **** off, it's only November...

19. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Night shift, 8x 9 hours nights this week, finish Saturday morning, half-way through and already totally ****ed
    Luckily off all next week, so a bit of positively.
    Also working nights over Christmas, but that is an awesome thing :)

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My new book launched in the UK on Monday, after launching last month in the US... and immediately went from "pre-order, launching 13th November" to "typically dispatches in 1-2 months" on Amazon. I flagged it with Wiley, and my editor said "oh, that happens when Amazon hasn't booked in stock yet, it'll change in a couple of days." Sure enough, two days later it changed...

...to "pre-order, launching on 12th December."

Hey, no stress, right? I mean, we're only eating into the Xmas sales period, here. No biggie(!)

<sigh>