1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Ten Years On: Mass Effect

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 23 Nov 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Like Dragon Age, the original is the only one I would ever contemplate playing. Bioware are the absolute masters at taking something that isn't broken, and breaking it.

3. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Very much enjoyed Mass Effect 1 and 2, each in a different way. I still know Mordin's Gilbert and Sullivan song by heart. :happy: Hated ME3 from the very beginning though for some reason, but ploughed through it. The only good thing about that game IMO was the Marauder Shields memes and fan lore. :lol:

EDIT: The Indoctrination Theory was also great fun, though it obviously hinged on a lot of conspiracy theory-tier logic.

Last edited: 23 Nov 2017
  4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Mass Effect 2 is an example of being one of the greatest sequels ever.

I tried playing through Mass Effect again last year, but it's not dated too well in my opinion. Mass Effect 2 still looks passable and Mass Effect 3 with high resolution mods still impresses.

wolf5ster likes this.
  5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

This. That game was borderline perfection.

wolf5ster likes this.
  6. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Funny, I couldn't stand the shooting and had to stop after 4 hours or so. I found it beyond tedious!

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I would play ME1 again, only if the Krogan in ME1 wouldn't be so insanely hard to beat :D.

8. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I could not agree more. Mass Effect 1 was superb, and I thoroughly enjoyed it (favourite games from the past Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights and the like). When I played Mass Effect 2 - a game which I couldn't bring myself to finish - I was so disappointed. The "streamlining", to me, meant stripping out all the bits of the game I most enjoyed (and still enjoy, playing games like Divinity: Original Sin 1/2).

Instead, we got to compare weapons with no meaningful basis on which to make a decision, lost the vehicular combat and had to "scan" endless planets to mine materials in a pointless mini-game.

I understand that I'm in the minority on this one (as well as most things in general on here!) but honestly I was so appalled at ME2 that I abandoned it AND ME3 and have never touched them since.

9. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I was a complete ME junkie, ploughed hours into all three games, the lore was just so abundant and rich. Like most though I definitely enjoyed 2 the most, I replayed 1 as I completed it by accident and was horrified that suddenly everything was over, I think compared with 2 it feels like something's missing. 3 for me could have been so good, I actually enjoyed every minute... up until it ended. Yup the historic ending really was that bad, it had me going through shock after completion. I still get triggered by the after-credits music, it was just such a disappointing and wasteful end to a great buildup. Also no Tali face was the let down of the game (aside from the ending).

10. veato

veato I should be working

I've started playing Andromeda recently and it reminds me of playing ME1 for the first time.

11. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

From article:
    "The other great and enduring idea that Mass Effect establishes is Shepard herself."

Your subtle as a brick point might have had more weight if you didn't use the default Shepard in the screenshots.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

ME1 was ok but it wasn't quite the game Bioware originally promised.
    ME2 is one of my favourite games.
    ME3 was good... right up until the return to Earth [so the the ending and mission preceding it]. Don't have the heart to replay for the 'extended cut' ending.
    Haven't played MEA so don't have an opinion on it but was disappointed to hear it was a bit pants.

13. Ravenfeeder

Ravenfeeder What's a Dremel?

ME1 remains my favourite for both gameplay and story. I wasn't impressed when ME2 made it more shooter-y. The only thing that lets down ME1 nowadays is the graphics.

Rick really needs to play Citadel, it's possibly the best DLC/expansion in gaming history. Only The Enemy Within for XCOM comes close. My strategy for ME3 is to play through until just before leaving to confront TIM, have the Citadel party and then quit on the high note.

14. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

The thing about 2 that got me is at the start, everyone acts like 1 never even happened. Like whats a Reaper? Naw it was just your imagination. The transition is jarring, goes from a full on assault of the Citadel to everyone having their memory erased apparently.

I tried to play 1 again a few months ago but I just couldn't get into it. The interface is so bad and the game is overall quite clunky.

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The. ****ing. Mako.

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

'It was a training exercise'...

17. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

On the other hand, without that weird discrepancy we would've never had this golden moment of a Turian doing air quotes with his 3-fingered hands:

Still makes me chuckle :hehe:

18. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Mass Effect 2 is probably the best game i've played since getting back into having a home computer.

19. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Mass Effect 1 was fantastic, but ME2 was dull enough that I never completed it or reached ME3. What a way to take an interesting game (both in terms of world, presentation, and gameplay) and dike out all the fun bits. No planetary exploration, bog-standard FPS gameplay ("hey guys, remember when our guns didn't need totally-not-magazines-they-re-heatsinks-honest?") and far too much of it, and most of the characters seemingly forgetting anything that happened in the last game.

20. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Loved 1
    Loved 2
    Enjoyed 3 - ending was meh, but i've never really been sure what people expected? or what could've been better?

Tags: Add Tags