1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Been waiting for a Freelancer sequel (or at the very least, a spiritual successor) for about 10 years now - my mate used to steal 2 of his dad's work laptops (quite beefy kit at the time) to install Freelancer on and have sleepovers where we'd all start out fresh and see how far we could get in 10-12 hours of straight game time, fun times.

EDIT:

Also, said it from the beginning - Roberts is a modern day Molyneux, all promise and no delivery... But at least ole' Pete didn't ask you to pay in advance for your disappointment.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Well, actually, with Godus he did. And that went very very badly indeed. I met a guy from 22 Cans in Dalstons infamour 'Dolphin' nightclub a few years ago, and he looked very apologetic when I mentioned that game!

But anyway, back to SC; I actually think the land claim idea is totally cool, and building bases is, for me, the one thing that could make Elite a thousand times more interesting than it currently is.

However, introducing years before you will ever be able to use those licences, for real world cash, when they can't even get a stable alpha out the door, is an outrageous, insane, greedy and unnecessary cash grab. Unfortunately legions of people don't seem to agree and keep giving them more money. In that sense, how can I blame CIG, they are a business after all?

Also, this is a very difficult conversation to have outside of certain places: the Star Citizen subreddit is fairly middle of the road, but the SC UK Facebook group is literally cult like in its obsession and defense of this game. These are the guys getting milked I guess - and I doubt they will be willing to shoulder any of the responsibility if it all crashes down, or if their $850 ship doesn't turn out to be the META.

3. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Just updated to latest patch and its abysmal. Cant even play.

4 - 6 fps.

I thought the low fps in 2.6 was bad, but it was playable at 25 - 30 fps.

Wasn't 3.0 supposed to release GPU to client side to increase frame rates? Or was I smoking something and miss-interpreted?

Wake me up if we get back to 2.6 play-ability frame rates, until then ARK :)

4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Duke Nukem Forever in space.

Otis1337 likes this.
  5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's ridiculously unfair.

...at least Duke Nukem Forever actually launched.

(I kid, I kid!)

SuperHans123 likes this.
  6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It's still very netcode dependent. If you get on a clean newly booted server you can get 60fps or more with the right rig. Frame rates drop as more and more people join. Saying that, I've never gotten as low as 4-6fps, I usually sit in the 30s.

7. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Not hit 30fps since 2.6 :miffed:

Is it your CPU that's gaining ground over me?

The other night CPU was at 40% and GPU's at 12%. :wallbash:

Will try again. Is there any specific time to try to get good fps or is it just luck of the draw?

8. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Well current update I'm getting between 25fps and 45fps, ave 29fps.

Not liking the new quantum travel idea. Took a mission and no idea how to get to start point to pick up the item for delivery :|

9. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

My game sometimes drops to around 7 or 8fps for a couple of seconds, usually when I'm just outside a space port picking up my ship.
    I haven't tried to do any missions or travel beyond the initial starting station yet, I need to properly configure my controls before venturing further.

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It's luck of the draw really in terms of getting a clean sever. Avoiding peak times in the USA can help a bit.

I'm not sure re: CPU to be honest, as I didn't have access to 3.0 when I was running my 3770K.

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Luck of the draw, you want an almost empty server instance for reasonable fps.

12. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

These 3.0 builds are still not feature complete either, they add some core piece of gameplay and it equates to more lag and bugs.

Still, good to see people are getting to play something new in star citizen.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

BREAKING NEWS!

(My emphasis)

Patch notes here

Be aware of significant changes to keybinds, and use the special PTU launcher for delta patching goodness.

DO NOT USE YOUR EXISTING LAUNCHER! 3.0 will NOT install using the 2.6.3 launcher, instead use the one linked above.

Useful links here

Last edited: 22 Dec 2017
  14. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

In a sense good news that all backers can now test this version, but from what you read on reddit it is still borderline broken.

There was a list of players who had not managed to complete a single quest even after hours of playing, for varying multiple reasons.

The holiday special containing SQ42 content got delayed by 24 hours. Should be out later.

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

OK, so who wants a TONK!?

BTW - CIG sneaked out another patch (AR) during the stream.

EDIT: They've announced that 3.0 will go LIVE on Saturday!

Last edited: 23 Dec 2017
  16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Je voudrais une tonk s'il te plait.

EDIT: Actually, melted down some superfluous things and bought one for the hell of it.

17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Pleased to see TrackIr works straight out the box with 3.0 (well, I have fake trackIR but y'know)

However, I have a Z axis on my throttle, and it simply will not work in game, even when I bind it. Any ideas anyone?

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Lando just did this on his twitch channel as he left his new shaver in the office:-

[​IMG]

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Live build is LIVE!

Get new launcher from here

As promised, Lando has shaved off his beard.

However, he decided to keep his mustache until after Xmas morning.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Dec 2017
  20. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Patched the first 11GB now waiting on another 24GB, 60Mbps just not fast enough interwebs! Got it loading onto my OCZ Revo for extra smooth storage creamyness.