1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

It means she has sought legal council before you and has been advised to take your pants down.
    Get thee to a solicitor quick sharpish.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

There is nothing to take my pants down for fella. She knows I am broke, she knows what I have and don't have. There is pretty much nothing to take. However, I did email her because I have been advised to try and talk to her directly, then mediate etc etc.

Now she says, verbatim... "It gives me the choice to claim against you should you try and cause me extra legal expenses through the divorce"

I replied -

"And are you?" and she replied "The right to claim will be exercised if you accrue expenses by arguing, contesting, stalling as an example of the afforemenetioned 'extra legal expenses'. Of course I am not going to pay for intentional sabotage. I have no intention of claiming otherwise"

To which I replied. "If you send that to me in writing and sign it I will sign the divorce. If not I will need to contact a solicitor, which will be expensive for both of us. I am also willing to pay £150 toward the divorce if we can agree on that"

We shall see...

Now there are two things she could be doing here.

1. She is trying to take something I don't have, which she knows I don't have and etc.
    2. She is trying to protect her own finances, of which I do not know. I do know she had at least six grand left over from her last divorce, and I do know she has a savings account I used to pay a set amount of money into for three years. I added it up earlier, and came up with a sum of £30,000 that I had bank transferred to her over the past three years. £120 a fortnight (all of my ESA) and the rent. It adds up to £10k a year, £30,000+ overall and I have a paper trail and evidence of all of it to counter claim with because she is claiming I was terrible with money etc etc.

So yeah, not sure on her intentions yet, will try to find out.

3. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Anddd this is the reason i'll never get married! aka "baby i don't a piece of paper to show my love to you"

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Getting up at 530 to watch the Ashes while whatsapping my Aussie mate in NSW.

Self imposed ruination.

The_Crapman likes this.
  5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Deposited PPI cheque for £5508 in the bank , will be allowed complete access on the 28th of this month. Surely there is a better way, oh right there is Barclays could have done a straight forward bank transfer instead of sending a cheque, something I have not used for many a long year.

OLED TV I think is on the cards.

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Hyper-V's dynamic MAC address system.

Why, oh why, does it default to dynamic mac setups?

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

UKIP wasted 10 seconds of my time as I removed their leaflet from the front door, glanced at it, tore it up and put it in the recycling.

Whinging about career politicians, not sure if they were talking about Farage and his 20+ years as one...

If it's not junk then it's plastic bags from yet another 'charity' who i've never heard of. Contemplating just putting the shredder in the letterbox.

I've yet to find a reliable way to stop it. Almost as tedious as the random phonecalls that are either dead lines, barely ring or ask for imaginary people like "Mr John".

Last edited: 19 Dec 2017
  8. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Tried to install my brother's projector and screen in the family living room yesterday. It didn't work. And somehow it's my fault now.

I gave my old projector screen to my brother earlier this year because he always envied my setup. Now this is not some cheap trash mind you, I could have gotten around 250-300€ for the screen on ebay. Of course he still needed a projector, so I pointed him toward several good online resources - escpecially the calculator on projectorcentral. I also mentioned one or two models I'd consider - but insisted he'd have to double check if they'd actually work depending on his room. I also insisted - several times - that he'd have to check if everything works as soon as the tech arrives. This was three months ago.

So of course he ordered whatever model I mentioned. Without doing even basic research. Turns out the projector has basically no zoom, so the picture is way too big for the screen. In my old room the projector would have worked fine, but their living room is bigger. A projector is no TV you just unpack, you have to check some things.

My brother is hysterical because of the money spent and my mother is livid because "the living room is ruined". And I am supposed to fix their mess because "he is disabled, also he has spent so much money on this!" Yeah sure, he's earning more money than me because he's brain dead...

Seriously, how is this my fault?!

Now I'll have to call Amazon today to reverse a three month old order somehow. Any ideas what to tell them?

9. saspro

saspro IT monkey

A financial order (or a clean break order) is a bit of paper signed by a judge explaining the split of finances after the divorce. It's purpose in this case seems to be to stop you from claiming money off her.
    This means there's a fairly good chance that she's got money somewhere that she doesn't want to split, even if you've got £0 in the bank, you both have fill in all your details and the judge would decide if it's a fair split.

On a divorce form there is however a field that a solicitor recommends people tick to cover if they needed to claim expenses etc but that's not a financial order (although it's been a while since I filled one of them in)

10. Vault-Tec

I kind of had a feeling it would be something like that tbh. She was stashing money from the moment I met her. As soon as her last marriage ended and the divorce came through she got about £25k. She spent it down to the limit of around £16k on our wedding etc and then from that moment on I did not ask her a single question about her money. Also, because of the way I am I used to transfer the rent and a set amount of money into our "Bills and savings" straight to her (£480 min rent a month, sometimes more and £240 of mine). We did not have a joint account and I had some separate money to buy things with etc.. Any way, yeah, I never knew the exact specifics of her bank accounts. I just made sure that she could not touch mine... Naive? very much so, but then I am terrible with money etc. Any way, when she left it was the 23rd of the month and the bills and rent all go out on the 26th. I asked her to send me the rent and bills etc and she started the runaround so I managed to get my hands on £2000 she had stashed elsewhere with some one to keep her under the legal limit. Otherwise I would have been out on the street. This didn't go down well with her (in fact she went ballistic) but that's tough titty. I told her that was all I wanted and tbh? most of it was gone any way. I paid the rent and bills, but because she cancelled the direct debit on a couple of our yearly bills (water and waste is £370 a year in this flat) they wanted paying RIGHT NOW so yeah there wasn't much left.

So I kinda had this feeling she wouldn't want me poking around to find out exactly how much she does have. Absolutely no doubt she would have hidden it all now any way. I told her when we met I didn't want her money, proved it by having nothing to do with it and nothing has changed. I am not a greedy person and I don't kiss people's asses who have money. Thing is she also has a car that I kept maintained for her for five years and a £6k grandfather clock etc etc. So yeah, that would make a lot of sense.

Edit. Forgot to say, I signed it. When it said "Would you be prepared to help with any costs" I put "No".

11. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Was made a manager last week. This week new service structure has come out and the team I managed has basically been disbanded and I'm back as an analyst. Still waiting for an explanation on it but needless to say, I'm not happy.

12. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

HA doesn't work properly with static MAC.

You need to manually set the dynamic MAC pool on each individual host in the hyper-V cluster as well, or you may find more than one VM getting the same dynamic MAC if you got a lot of hosts.

Boy did that one cause some headscratches for a while.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The important question is do you keep the bump in pay grade? And if not, why not!

MLyons likes this.
  14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Ah, ****. Really?

Redhat guest failed over between two clustered hosts and upon reboot got assigned a different MAC, which totally buggered eth1 - I don't have access to the server, which makes things doubly difficult, I was hoping to set the static MAC in Hyper-V and call it a day. Or am I reading wrong and you're saying for static MAC's to work you need to manually set the pool (In the registry IIRC?) so it doesn't dish out something statically assigned?

15. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

You have to do static with Linux boxes you’re right. But you have to ensure that your physical switches have appropriate settings for MAC address move detection or you end up with the CAM tables still sending traffic to the wrong host.

16. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

On RHEL7/CentOS7, if you remove the mac from the ifcfg file and set net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0 in /etc/default/grub, you won't have the interface problem again. On RHEL6/CentOS6 you have to delete the UDEV file or update udev, I don't remember the commands now though.

17. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

You do know that with most reputable law firms you'll get a free initial half hour consultation where you can lay out the situation and get some advice - i know this because my wife is a matrimonial/family lawyer.

Get advice and sign nothing else until you've done so, if you get a financial disclosure form fill it in properly and in the comments/other info section write what you did for her and provide bank statements to that effect as irrefutable proof.

If you / her contests stuff it'll burn money, wife is charged out at £250 hr + vat.

In case you missed this - get advice, afaik there isn't anything stopping you going through a couple of free half hours to nail down some good advice from several lawyers but make sure you do them on the same day/within a few days of each other to remember the advice (take written notes if needed - they certainly will)

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Couldn't get a desktop in KDE this morning. Given up and re-downloading ISO.

19. Vault-Tec

Yeah I was told all of that at the CAB. Though I was annoyed, because I phoned CAB and they said "We can't help you over the phone but if you go down to the CAB they can help you". Got down there, waited over two hours to be seen then he says "Sorry, can't help you with this we don't do divorce". FFS, thanks for telling me on the phone and saving me the £30 I just spent in sodding cab fare.

TBH mate with the stress load I have on at the moment I cba doing anything. If it costs me then so be it, but I was so bad two days ago I literally had a pile of pills in my hand ready to swallow. I can't engage stress right now, that is what wound me up in A&E this time last year.

So something kinda snapped and I am back to not giving a ****. If that costs me? I'm at the point now where I couldn't really GAF either way. I just want rid of the woman.

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The doomsday prepper mentality of christmas [food] shoppers...

**** sake the shops are only shut for 1 day...