1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Retaning tab for the keyboard ribbon cable had snapped off, so nothing secured the keyboard cable into the socket, which just produces the 2 Beep POST failure - Won't even reach UEFI. ( This error is also "No DRAM Detected", Helpful, Dell, Helpful. )

Tried a couple of different solutions, none of which appeared to work, peeled it apart a bit more to check and see if anything else was loose, and out clatters the missing piece of the connector, popped it in and it booted straight up.

Those 15R2 units have so many ribbon cables in.

Ran it through the diagnostics built into the UEFI and everything that was present; it passed with flying colours, Can't test the HDDs or Charger, though, since it lacks both of those currently.

I'll probably just pop some electrical tape around the socket once I've got it all squared away to make sure the tab doesn't work itself free, but it works currently, so I'm not going to complain!

Edit; Only sticking point; While it is the I7-6820HK unit - It's got an AMD R9 395x in there, not the 980M I originally thought it had, so that's a bit of a disappointment, but it'll still more than do for the things I'd like to run while I'm out and about.

Makes it a bit of a Unicorn though, I don't know of many of the 15R2 or 17R3 (Same PCB) that run that GPU, let alone with the 6820HK.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2017
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Turkey crown is in the fridge. Ham is getting picked up tomorrow. This piggy is gonna stuff his fat face.

MLyons, The_Crapman and Vault-Tec like this.
  3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

We're having turkey, beef, lamb and pork. I'm tempted to get a gammon but got so much to do still not sure I've got enough prep time. Especially after just getting the cooker fitted yesterday and having To have a load of electrical work done for it to run. And make the house safe :worried:

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I'll be having... *looks in kitchen*... Marmite sandwich probably.

adidan and MLyons like this.
  5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

We're keeping it simple this year: £3 pork joint from Asda, 20p sprouts, 20p carrots, 20p parsnips, £1 pre-made mash, and Aunt Bessie's finest frozen Yorkshires. Can't remember how much they were.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Aunt Bessie does good Yorkshires that are frozen batter rather than frozen cooked ones. They're a lot nicer - I always found the frozen cooked ones far too dry. This reminds me that I really need to get my mum to give me her recipe for Yorkshires because there's no comparison between home made and shop bought.

MLyons likes this.
  7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, they are a bit. I think we've got one giant one to share this time - the missus picked that up, I only saw it as we were paying.
    My grandma used to do it proper like, right down to getting lard smokin' hot in the bottom of the puddin' tray. Bloody lovely, they were.

adidan likes this.
  8. The_Crapman

I've been given the beef and lamb so it's not costing too much on the meat front, but we're having the wife's family for Christmas day and I want to give my new cooker a dam good thrashing, she what she can handle. Although the lamb, beef and Turkey will be cooked Christmas eve, with only the pork done om the day to make sure the crackling is as crisp as can be.

Also tip for the crackling, score it nice and deep with a Stanley or other suitable blade, rub in salt, leave for 5-10 mins then pat dry. Repeat the salting 2 more times, then after the third heat up some oil in a pan till it's smoking hot, then poor over the joint and get it in the oven at it's highest heat for 30 mins, before turning down and cooking through. You'll see the skin pull up the instant the oil hits and it comes out so light and cruncht.

adidan likes this.
  9. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Hot glue might work also?

10. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Would rather use something easily reversible, just in case I need to pull it apart in future to clean out fans, heatsinks, thermal paste, etc...

Got the M.2 SSD (No NVMe here, sadly) - Boots to desktop within 10 seconds, it's making my desktop look bad.

11. Gareth Halfacree

I have my own technique: score, suspend over the sink, pour a kettle-load of boiling water over the top, pat dry, oil, salt, then stick it in the oven at 250 for half an hour before turning it down to the cooking temperature for the rest of the time. Seems to work pretty well, and without the risk that the kids'll distract me and I'll ignite the kitchen while trying to heat the oil!

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I somehow have to make my stomach into a vacuum devoid of anything whatsoever before Sunday night.

The ham is a massive thing still on the bone, for the meal on Christmas Eve. What with the lass being Finnish and us being in the UK this year we have to do both fully kitted out big ol' Christmas meals with just one small sleep between them. Essentially it's - stuff face, sleep, roll out of bed and stuff face.

I know - i'm sacrificing my waistline for Christmas. Well, to be fair it's been tired of fighting for some time.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dedicated Zoneminder box sitting behind an SSL-only nginx reverse proxy using letsencrypt certificates.

Motion detect zone is set to only the areas on my property - don't want an event/alarm to be triggered every time someone drives past. Next steps: configure SSH to only accept only key-signed logins; and figure out if I can stop motion detection being triggered when it rains at night... Although it did manage to capture a bat zooming past the camera last night - that was pretty cool.

Gunsmith, IanW, adidan and 1 other person like this.
  14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I'm currently lying on freshly laid carpet it's so soft and fluffy I think I'm ignore putting furniture back into sleep on the floor tonight.

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

16. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I can smell it just reading about it!

17. The_Crapman

[​IMG]
    Meeeeaaaat!

Kronos and Vault-Tec like this.
  18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

More than enough to get the meat sweats !

The_Crapman likes this.
  19. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Santa's coming and I've been really good all year!

Kronos, MLyons and Vault-Tec like this.
  20. The_Crapman

I've got to share it with 7 other people :rollingeyes:, but there's still a pork leg to come. I'm
    not sharing the crackling though!

Kronos, MLyons and Vault-Tec like this.