1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by impar, 30 Sep 2014.

1. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Ok sorted thanks to both of your replies:thumb:

2. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

3. wst

wst Minimodder

Here's a bit more of a catch-all question... can I transfer a license between machines?

I have a cracking little Thinkpad X230 and frankly for my needs, I use Mint. So I have a tiny, licensed, Win7 install lurking there doing sweet FA. When it comes to be computer upgrade season, could I transfer the Win7 license to the new PC (and grow my Linux partitions to use that dead SSD space) and then upgrade to Win10? I'm assuming it's still possible for accessibility purposes. Or would I have to upgrade to Win10 first on the laptop, then transfer the license somehow to the other PC? Or are none of these scenarios possible and I shall just have to cough up £100+ for gaming purposes only?

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You can install 7 without a license for 30 days iirc, then upgrade to Win 10 on top of it. The license for 7 won't matter for 10 at that point - again iirc only Win 8 was upgradable direct to 10 - I use my 8 key for 10.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

You can actually use Win 7 for 90 days - after 30 days it will ask you to activate but you can delay two times this for a further 30 days apiece. But yeah, you can just stick your WIn 7 license key in to activate 10 iirc.

6. stellakelly

stellakelly What's a Dremel?

I am purchasing advance system then I go with windows 10.

7. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

This OS seems to be updating all the while and long ones at that, using all my bandwidth.

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Since the last update I have had a lot of issues, including windows being very very slow in all tasks and lots of unresponsiveness, to the point I need to hard reset. I never had these issues before the last update! Has anyone else had this?

9. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Hard reset mine because of issues but I put that down to switching from Intel to AMD, Ubuntu 16.04 is back on my Dell lattitude 6320 and runs better. On my desktop Windows 10 doesn't always seem to shut down probably and seems to create problems next time I boot up. Especially if I forget to exit Origin in the tray or WD application it gets annoying.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Can I clean install Windows 10 without it creating the Windows.old folder, I know I could just run clean after installation but I wondered if I could actually do a clean install?

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You can clean install creators by downloading the latest win10 ISO or bootable CD.

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Sorry but is not Creators not an update, I am talking about a fresh install of Windows?

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yes it is if you have an old version of windows but if you go to the windows download page and create new install iso/cd and install from that it includes all of latest updates including creators so you don't need to do the update and don't get the .old dir for a new version of windows, well until the next major new update.

The windows.old can be removed using disk clean up utility if that is all you want to get rid of, there is an option to delete old versions of windows.

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If you download the ISO it will be the version with the latest update, which right this second is the 'Fall Creators Update'

Also the only way to avoid windows.old iirc is to format the drive first. If it detects an existing installl, hello windows.old

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have just created the install USB and that contains the Creators update, is this correct as at the moment I have both the windows 10 install on one USB and the Creators on another?

16. RedFlames

Assuming you used the current download tool from MS, the one you created should be v1709 - aka the 'Fall Creators Update'

If you feel so inclined you can check which version your iso is in an admin command prompt -

Code:
    dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:E:\sources\install.esd /index:1
    Replace 'e:' with whereever the ISO is downloaded/mounted

And you'll get something like this -

The version line tells you which version...

It should say 10.0.16299 iirc.

Last edited: 24 Dec 2017
  17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

That is useful as I am still not certain what I have, will try that once I have finished my gaming session, cheers.

18. RedFlames

For reference -

16299 - v1709 aka Fall Creators Update [current version]
    15063 - v1703, 'Creators Update'
    14393 - v1609, 'Anniversary Update'
    10586 - v1511
    10240 - v1507, RTM

Last edited: 24 Dec 2017
  19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Sorry you are going to have to explain "Replace 'e:' with wherever the ISO is downloaded/mounted"

I have gone to the USB where it is mounted and also the backup and I get on both occasions I get "the system cannot find the file specified". So I assume I have not been specific enough?

20. RedFlames

for me the USB mounts to F: so it'd be -

if you mount the ISO directly it may be a different letter.