1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Blimey, Verge is popping: 200% in 24 hours! Shame I don't have any, really...

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

They have got it wrong so often they aren't worth much in regards to crypto:
    https://99bitcoins.com/bitcoinobituaries

Last edited: 23 Dec 2017
  3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I've learned to not even pay attention to them, as have lot of folk. Negative press always used to spark a further fall as people panicked, but that has stopped for the most part.

4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Felt brave and took a gamble - managed to sell my 3 Litecoin at the latest peak ($320), recouped some lost profits from being a chicken and trying to bail at what was very almost the lowest point of this week's crash. I'm almost exactly where I was after selling that first coin for +260%, which I'm content with.

Bought back in at what seems like a nice stable launchpad ($300), now I'm just gonna set an alert for $500, just in case it goes mad again, and HODL!

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ripple's done well again today, and has lifted me to my trigger level for taking profit: I've cashed out pro rata amounts of Ripple and Bitcoin to bring me a roughly fourfold return on my original investment - which is only actually 25% of my crypto porfolio.

In other words, I've recouped my original investment, taken four times its value in profit, *and* I still have 75% of my crypto portfolio intact. Now that's a happy day!

(To clarify: despite what I said upthread, no: I haven't cashed out enough to buy a house. Not even to several orders of magnitude. Just enough that I feel comfortable in treating the rest of the portfolio as play money and wouldn't be too sad if it all crashed to the ground tomorrow.)

EDIT: Oh, and I've discovered a little something: if you upgrade your Revolut account to Premium you can hit the Unlock button on the Cryptocurrencies feature, which is to be expected. If you then realise that your attempt to save a few quid in foreign exchange fees has been wiped out by the fact that it's a twelve-month contract even if paying monthly and then decide to cancel within 14 days (well, more like 14 minutes in my case) and ask support to do so - Cryptocurrencies remains unlocked even after you've been downgraded to a Standard account.

Not that I'll be using the feature, for the reasons explained elsethread, but if anyone wants it without a Premium fee that's an option that doesn't include spamming all your friends to sign up for a Revolut account to unlock it the 'proper' way.

Last edited: 27 Dec 2017
    Goatee and TheMadDutchDude like this.
  7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Mankz loves XRP.

<3

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

So many times this. I feel like I owe you something for prompting me to hop on board - that said I wouldn't expect a handout if it had tanked, so let's call it even :lol:

9. TheMadDutchDude

Me three. I only have 1150 to my name... but hell yes. :D

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just bought £100 worth of XRP, now go pump it guys, daddy needs a Switch.:grin:

11. TheMadDutchDude

Wanna buy mine? We never use it... :D

I kid. My wife would slaughter me.

What are our predictions for the XRP token?? I reckon we will see $1.75 by the end of the week.

12. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Just repeated the trick. Worked well.

Whats the reason for not using them for receipting other currencies?

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

$1.75 would be nice, although I reckon there is potential for even more in the medium term:
    Recently it has defied group movements of alt coins.
    It seems to have some pretty good geographical distribution, being less America / Europe centric than some of the other alts may help create above average resilience against regulatory pressures.
    Both could be a sign that the sky is the limit for XRP.
    Lets say $2.50 by spring and $5+ before end of 2018?
    That is of course just speculation and not investment advice.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Tell you what, if you fancy trying to time the market (don't try to time the market) Verge is where it's at. I've watched it go up to 20p, down to 12p, up to 16p, down to 9p, and up to 15p - and have successfully predicted each rise and fall.

You just know that the minute I put any money into it it'll fall and keep falling, though, so I ain't risking it!
    As I mentioned elsethread and as @Evolutionsic went into more detail on here: Revolut says you're buying Bitcoin, but there's no evidence that's actually the case. You don't have the private key, you can't transfer it out of Revolut or receive it in to Revolut, there's no Bitcoin address for you to watch and verify the funds. It's entirely possible that what Revolut is actually selling you is a token which tracks the price of Bitcoin - which could be a problem if everyone decided to sell during a dump and Revolut didn't have enough cash on hand to actually allow that (which is known in the fiat world as fractional reserve banking, i.e. having only enough actual money to service a small fraction of your customers' accounts and being completely screwed if everyone withdraws at once - known as a run on the bank - yet which is somehow completely legal).

Personally, if I wanted to splash the cash on Bitcoin or other cryptos as easily as possibly, I'd swerve Revolut and buy Actual Bitcoin through Coinbase or Wirex. You'll pay a premium compared to an actual exchange, but you can buy instantly on your credit or debit card without having to wait for a bank transfer to be processed.

Last edited: 29 Dec 2017
    Goatee likes this.
  15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

BBC is reporting that Pavel Lerner has been kidnapped in Kiev. EXMO are saying all user funds are safe...

Sounds like they mainly work in Ukraine but are registered here so just FYI.

16. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

I've got a Ledger Nano S for xmas, a very nice bit of kit. Got everything bar my Bitcoin (transactions fees are stupidly high at the moment) on it.
    I was wondering if there was an app/website that could aggregate the public keys of my different currencies, show fiat value, transactions etc - essentially acting as a watching wallet?

17. Gareth Halfacree

I use Blockfolio, but it's entirely manual: you record buys and sells plus the price. If you're doing regular trading, it's a total faff - but if you're a holder it's good enough.

In other news, copied-and-pasted from the ruin thread:

My £65-a-year-ago Antminer S3+ sold for £516 on FleaBay!

...then the winning bidder actually bothered to do his research, realised it wasn't going to earn him the £30 a day he'd mistakenly calculated (he'd just multiplied his GPU mining earnings by the hash rate, but GPU algos and ASIC algos are totally different things) and pulled out.

Who spends £516 on something before doing their research, for Pete's sake?!

Last edited: 29 Dec 2017
    MLyons likes this.
  18. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I have to ask. I've got an RX480, should I use it to mine anything or are we past the point where 1 card running in my daily driver machine is worth it?

19. Gareth Halfacree

According to this, and assuming you pay about the same for your electricity as I do, you could earn around $2 a day mining Ethereum or up to $5 with the Altcoin du Jour (ZClassic, apparently.)

20. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Looks like a yes, then :thumb: