1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Intel Core i5-8600K Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 22 Dec 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

It will be interesting to see if AMD can push clock speeds up to the 4.3-4.5Ghz range with their Ryzen 12nm refresh in a couple of months.

At 3.8-4ghz the single core performance of Ryzen isn't really good enough for my needs (emulation) but add another 500mhz+ to the equation, they might be.

If Intel are going to reduce the price on this 8600K, that's when they'll have to do it.

3. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Meh, even reducing the price won't do it (and Intel are far to arrogant to do that anyway) and no one uses a PC solely for gaming these days not even enthusiasts.

The killer to new builds/upgrades just now be it AMD or Intel is memory prices - 16Gb is now the requisite and 16Gb kits with a decent latency (Samsung B die) and speed (3000MHz+) are astronomically priced in the here and now.

4. zimano

zimano What's a Dremel?

I can't see any of the graphs on any of the pages. Using Firefox ESR 52.4.0.

alfizzle likes this.
  5. alfizzle

alfizzle Ooh aah just a little bit..

Same using the latest version of chrome on iPhone.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, the pages are broken for me too. Pages 3 to 6 only seem to load about halfway down - it's not that the graphs are missing, it's that half the page is missing, including the bit with the forum comments, related articles, banner advert and site links.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Looks like it's choking on PNGs which have been base64 encoded and placed inline in the HTML - 'cos, y'know, the MASSIVE PNGs the site already uses for all images apparently weren't MASSIVE enough.

Glad I'm not paying the bandwidth fees, that's all I'm sayin'.

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Bigger is better, no? :D

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Exactly the same here on Opera Developer 51.0.2809.0

10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Issue should be fixed now

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Pretty broad call there to say 'no one'. Beyond internets, occasional office work and TV watching, the only thing I regularly use my PC now for is gaming. If I need to encode something it's very rare. I wonder if there was a time spend doing x/week survey what we'd see.

12. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Agreed - my gaming rig is exactly that, with a sprinkle of web browsing on top. Encoding of any kind is not something I do, so a Ryzen CPU isn't a great option for me (though I'm still not convinced that my nearly 5 year old Haswell build needs updating anytime soon since I simply don't need the CPU power, neither is it worth it considering DDR4 prices). For a scratch build, the 8600K would certainly be one to consider.

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, I agree with the last couple of posts. My PC is for gaming and a very occasional bit of actual office work. I don't do encoding or anything like that, so you can put me in the "solely for gaming" category.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Same here in truth, it won’t be turned on unless it’s to play games.

The lol moment was when I was checking drive activity time since I installed it to find it was less than 2 months turned on since March 2016.

My phone covers most of my browser needs and not needed a office based task for a while.

15. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

On the flip side, my better half uses mine when working from home (multi-tasking with God knows how many apps running etc), it does it's fair share of CAD, photo editing and video encoding - gaming probably accounts for around 25% of it's actual usage in the scheme of things (subject to social commitments and work shifts).

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

My wife does the same mega-multitasking on a 4790 w/8G of mem in a mini-ITX box (InWin Chopin). Admittedly no CAD/PS, but in a normal day she has about 50 documents open, 50 Edge tabs, three messaging apps and a 25+GB PST file in Outlook last time I checked, but the old quad core holds up great. She never closes anything, just continually opens more and more and more. The only issue is Office365 occasionally ****ing up and causing a memory leak because Microsoft things. If anything she needs more storage and memory performance rather than more CPU.

I expect this is the way for most people now. Even phones are becoming more capable for basic photoshoppery - crops, colours etc and video encoding is becoming less PC driven as streaming services take over disc sales and people don't take videos off their phones. (H)PCs are becoming more polar in usage: gaming driven or professional.

Last edited by a moderator: 3 Jan 2018
Tags: Add Tags