1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Really I did not know that.:wallbash:

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Try being in Austria on NYE. You have to dodge fireworks just walking about.

Not there this year but it is pretty much gamble with your eyesight if you go out.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well you did ask why fireworks are loud! :grin:

I don't mind professional/organised displays, they're usually over by a certain time and properly supervised. What I don't like is every Tom, Dick, and Harry being able to buy fireworks at the supermarket... Round here NYE isn't as bad as some places I've lived before, but it sounds like a war zone for a week or two either side of bonfire night.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I did not ask why fireworks are loud, I asked why some fireworks are only used to create a loud noise with little or no visual display, we used to call them bangers though these things are a tad louder than those of my youth.

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's once a year. If it's a major issue just put on headphones
    [​IMG]

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

That hardly answers the question as to why they are necessary and actually it is not once a year as we have a similar issue over the Festival and your rather silly suggestion does not help our pets. This has been a source of complaint for some years but the council has yet to address the issue. A company, Setti Fireworks make fireworks which produce a spectacular light show but without the deafening sounds normally associated with a firework display. They design their fireworks to fit the venue and event that they will be used for.

7. adidan

My motherboard came with 4 sata cables. I'm using 3 and need the 4th. It's not in the box and it's not in my drawers.

I put it somewhere safe for when I needed it, that is my system.

I have others of course but they don't match.

System failure.

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ahh, I'm very sorry for the inconsiderate answer. I completely forgot about pets as I haven't had one in years. I've never heard of that company. I wonder how they go about achieving that. They do actually sell sound protection for pets. I believe they are used for dogs that have "jobs" but I agree you shouldn't have to fork out the money and inconvenience your pet.

9. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

30 minutes into the new year and we are at an emergency clincic for our beloved dog... :(

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

2017 was a dumpster fire of a year.

Onwards and upwards.

I know I was being facetious, but I do sympathise when it comes to pets. Fireworks drive one of our cats utterly mad, it'll take him a good few days to calm down. All we can really do is make sure he's got plenty of food, water, warm dark places to hide in, and give him plenty of attention.

11. adidan

My cat doesn't give a monkey's about fireworks.

Vacuum cleaner is a different matter, luckily she doesn't see it that often.

MLyons likes this.
  12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I was not referring to my cat but to wildlife in general and pets in particular. My Millie can come and go as she pleases so I am not overly concerned as she will come home if there is anything that she does not like out there.
    But you are missing my point entirely, I am talking about the fireworks who's soul aim is to make a loud noise and adds little to the visual display.
    Our city council actually commissioned a report into using silent fireworks given the impact on people pets and damage to building. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-38328638
    But being the council little will happen as i suspect these things cost more and they have a tram fiasco extension to fund.

13. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I mean the obvious answer is that fireworks are traditionally a combination of audible as well as visual spectacle. Obviously your mileage may vary as to whether that's something that is worth it for the negative effects of the noise, but that is why you get fireworks that mostly make a bang.

14. adidan

Such as bangers.

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Bloody rain wont stop, been trying to get chance to clean the can-am for the past 3 days. might just take the cover off it and let the rain do it at this rate.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Just lost two years plus of uptime on my Microserver through my own stupidity. Then I had to drag out the monitor and keyboard, 'cos it wasn't coming back up - turns out that when I removed the USB external drive and replaced it with an internal one I hadn't removed the old drive's entry from fstab, meaning the OS was sat there waiting for me to tell it what to do about the missing drive. Whoopsie!

17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Always ends up being something daft like that though that causes downtime.

Great start to the new working year, was ill during the "crimbo limbo" so didn't go to work come in today found four people have handed in their notice, ones walked out an we have a new manager who was meant to start today but decided to take the week off.
    Turns out majority handed in their notice off the back of our pay rise which equates to about £8 a month for me and I was in the bracket for a high pay rise.

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

A whole 8 quid, invest it wisely sir.

19. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Awhile back i mentioned i had a Mercedes that couldn't be moved because it was parked in a garage in an alleyway where pick up trucks couldn't reach, however, i've since had a key cut and the spring on the clutch peddle has gone, Anyone got any experience with automatics? Will leaving the car in 'PARK' be enough to stop it rolling into other cars lol?

20. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Wheel chocks - cheap as chips and proven.