1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel confirms Meltdown while Spectre hits everyone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 4 Jan 2018.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Oh, aye, they'll be vulnerable. Expect to see a Spectre-based jailbreak for each in the coming weeks!

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Thought as much, may just leave that off for a while :/

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yes but from what i understand that needs to be done on a software level, i.e developers need to rewrite their code to do it, the register did a short write up that mentions the use of LFENCE and MFENCE.

adidan likes this.
  4. adidan

Cheers for that.

Yeah, after I wrote that it felt like I was asking for a software solution to it, how they do their future ninja-wizardy-hardware-design I have no idea.

Edit: I guess we have to wait for the successors to the Ryzen and lakey loo lines along with a Windows (10 is the the last OS we make) 11 before it's properly resolved.

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

6. adidan

Yeah he's in a tad bit of bother.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm not sure you'd want to design it out of future hardware as speculative execution is a really handy thing to have, not for everything obviously as Meltdown and Spectre have shown, but for processes that aren't dealing with sensitive data being able run a load of processes before you know what ones actually needed saves loads of time.

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

9. adidan

Yeah. AMD at least got around Meltdown with Ryzen architecture it seems though.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I guess that's the advantage of newer design, Zen was pretty much designed from the ground up whereas Intel chips have all been iterations of the basic Core design from a couple of decades ago so although they introduced a way to prevent the leaking of data from one process to another some six odd years ago developers haven't made much use of it as they were probably stuck in their ways and until now there was no reason to use it.

11. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Save you the effort: yes, they're vulnerable. Going back to XBox Original and GameCube.

12. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Personally I am not very worried about desktops/servers, even with performance penalties, they will get patched eventually. What worrisome is the state of systems that barely anyone bothers to update or vendors don't bother to release patches for - "smart" appliances, iot crap, car infotainment systems, etc.

13. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I'm using Windows 10 Pro (1709) and Windows Defender but no sign of an update, should I be seeing it? I'm thinking I should but alas, nothing via Windows Update.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not only consoles but apparently even graphics cards are vulnerable, at least Nvidia ones are.

adidan likes this.
  15. adidan

Of ffs of course they are. Thanks for the heads up on that one mate.

16. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

My Dell latitude E6320 (Windows 10 pro 1709) saw it yesterday, I am using Windows defender at the moment. I am dual booting with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and that's updated also.
    The 2 AMD desktops haven't seen it though, the key is in the registry.

17. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Just checked Microsoft say xbox one family not affected.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2018
  18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

19. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

That sounds dubious, unless they mean "because XBox 1 only runs signed code, the attack can't start"

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ubuntu users can now get the PTI patch through the Kernel Team PPA. That's only for Meltdown, though - no ETA on a Spectre patch yet.

Tags: Add Tags