1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Looks like the market has settled on about 12% down. From my portfolio, FunFair and Ripple were hit the worst at -15.61% and -12.66% each; Stellar Lumens took an 8.45% hit, Monero 9.83, Litecoin 9.87, Bitcoin just 6.69% down. Oh, and Iota dropped nearly 15%, but I'm ignoring that as lost money 'cos I'm already deep in the red on that one.

Ethereum's laughing all the way to the bank, though: 10.6 percent up in a bear market. Shame I've only got £10 (well, £15 now) in that, really - if I'd moved everything into that at the start of the crash I'd be quids in now!

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Nanopool temporarily doubled their share difficulty at the weekend, have seen my projected payout fall back a couple of days as a result, but they didn't say why? And they're not replying either.... shady!!

https://twitter.com/nanopool_org/status/949615811110559744

Note: this isn't mining difficulty increase, just the share difficulty (whatever that implies!)

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Fixt
    Lots of bandwagoning with cryptocurrencies, just make sure you understand the risks - it's way closer to gambling than investing.

I'm curious as to what everyone is doing for wallets, or not, these days?
    I picked up a Ledger Nano S a while back with the intention of being responsible, I've ended up leaving everything sitting on the exchange just because it's easier and I put in amounts of money I was prepared to lose. Those amounts of money I was prepared to lose have now cumulatively turned into an amount that I'm getting a little bit squirrely about, but still like the convenience of using the exchange... am I insane to keep doing so?

wyx087 likes this.
  4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Sold 2.5 of my 5 Litecoin's at a loss to buy another .5 ETH while it was at $950, not too disappointed with that decision - as I said a few posts back, I think once the novelty of all the cheap alts wears off, Ether will be rock solid and making (even more) inroads into that BTC ratio.

Decided to move my "moon goals" though - as soon as my ETH stack has made enough to cover an entire new PC build, I'll cash out. Will do the same with my LTC, but that will be for a new mountain bike or funding getting my full motorbike license (depending on whether the wife lets me!). 2018 should be fun!

Edit:

Have £150 tied up in BTC too, but that was bought near the ATH (14.2k), so that won't be touched for awhile yet... Probably just forget about it until BTC reaches £100k or the bubble pops.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2018
  5. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Have you earned enough to take out your original stake? I'd say take it out and then you've lost nothing if it all goes titsup. Are you trading on a mostly-daily basis? Leave it on the exchange. Transferring in/out of wallet is only going to work well with planned trades, due to the time and fees in transferring stuff back and forth.

MLyons likes this.
  6. Mister_Tad

I took out my original original stake, but not subsequent amounts I've put in again - just as I never put in anything I wasn't prepared to lose, they're not amounts I feel compelled to take back out. I don't want to start cashing things out until nearer the end of the tax year either, even though cash sitting in the exchange isn't exactly ideal either. Just CEX at the moment.

I'm not trading on a daily basis, at least weekly though, mostly through mobile. A big part of me wants to put everything on the ledger and forget about it for 36 months... it's terribly distracting otherwise!

When I started dabbling, various sources suggested that trusting an exchange was tantamount to just setting your cash alight.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2018
  7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

What coins are you currently invested in??

8. Zoon

If you're only talking a few tens or a couple hundreds spread across a few coins then the wallet minimums are a downside to taking it off the exchange. But yeah none of this is regulated in any way. If an exchange chooses to pinch your coins and take off, you're stuffed.

9. Mister_Tad

As of this very point in time, a relatively smaller amount of ETH and BTG and a larger amount of XRP, though there's some USD sitting there until I decide what I want to do with it, if I get a chance this week to do a bit of research I'll likely venture away from CEX for the first time and have a punt with some others, and venturing away from CEX will probably mean I pull them off the exchange.

I came across mention of wallet minimums in a post the other day for the first time - didn't even know this was a thing until then, though I don't think I'll run into it as a problem, though I'll caveat that with the fact that XRP is the only minimum I currently know (as of the other day), but I'm over the 20 XRP minimum.

10. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

How expensive? The 1050ti after electric is working out around $35 a month for me. Roughly 12p per unit on my tariff.

11. Zoon

20XRP in each wallet and I may be wrong but it’s my understanding you can’t close the wallet and remove it once activated. You also need 5XRP per line of exchange. In the case of a wallet that’s gonna mean little but for something like gatehub you gotta keep 5 per currency you trade with.

Stellar Lumens also needs a minimum recommending 41 on their desktop wallet but I think you can drain that dry at the end.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

IIRC it translates to $0.20/kwh [15p]... i'd double-check but it's an utter ballache to find the prices. It's enough to make my hardware unprofitable to mine on.

13. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It’s a shame that everything is so expensive over there. I’m paying 11c per unit which makes my 1080 and 1700 only cost me around $0.90 a day. It’s currently producing around $9... so a very decent return. I can’t wait for the refresh to push clocks higher and allow me to net even more profit.

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Oh no doubt my weedy hardware doesn't help [G3258/650ti], but the leccy is what tips it from [potentially] earning a few quid to not.

15. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

The way I see it (assuming your hardware will mine efficiently), you mine for say x days, sell what you need to cover the bill for those days. You are going to be looking at small micro trades maybe on bit tech. Whatever is left over you save to one side and play with speculating or sit on.

Id say to use on online wallet to begin with, i dabbled in btc when it first came out, had a local wallet. Mined a few coins forgot about it and formatted the disk...

I mined some more way later. Which I use for an online service, with the way it's appreciating it feels like it's lasting forever!

16. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

ETH going to the moon this morning - quickly approaching $1250!

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's up 5%, which ain't exactly a moonshot - Monero's up 11% over the same period, and FunFair's up a whopping 19.19%.

18. Zoon

Given I’m on binance trading through ETH, both of these being up makes me happy indeed!

yuusou likes this.
  19. Mongwopman

Mongwopman King Ding-a-ling!

Pity Binance Withdrawal fee's are astronomical. I've had to leave mine on the exchange for the time being.

20. Zoon

You can pay 'em in BNB for a discount if you buy a little BNB first, I believe I read.