1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

You guys are going to make yourselves ill worrying about it and exercising hindsight. Easy come, easy go ;)

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

This.

Just put down what you can afford to lose, HODL, then wait in the hope it reaches the number you need to cash out. My Litecoin investment has gone, as of today, completely down the pan - I'd be at a 40% loss if I sold now, so I'm not going to. I can afford to play the long game and wait for it to climb back up, or die a death... by which point that initial investment will be long forgotten anyways.

Ethereum on the other hand, she's doing me wonders - new ATH's on the daily, riding through all of BTC's storms and sailing on into the sun (or moon?).

3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I've got a small portfolio and yeah it's disheartening to see it down or "If I'd waited just one more day to buy in I'd have 20% more for my money" even but 6 - 12 months from now I'll either have lost it all or one of em will be making me smile.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm lucky: I got in early enough that even today I'm in profit on every one of my investments, bar Iota. Across my portfolio, and if you include the profit I took t'other week, I'm up... 2,679 percent.

Now if only I'd put significantly more into it in the first place, eh?!

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If you're too relaxed about it then what's the point of doing it at all? :p
    (note I've no interest in trying to play the markets, I just want to withdraw some BTC when they're a bit higher)

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I did kick myself a little with Litecoin, when I purchased that initial single coin for £97-98 and it shot up to £278 the next day, I was purchasing more as it was doing it, increasing my average coin cost. Eventually ended up with 5 coins at an average of £204... Then it started plummeting and I panic sold 2 coins at £170 thinking it was tanking, sending my price per coin way up. Managed to catch a nice dip to bring it back down, but even then I was still at £220ish over 5 coins. Saw Eth was about to go Super Saiyan so took a risk and offloaded 2.5 coins at a minor loss, but that earned itself back over the past couple days.

Now I'm a bit wiser and can tell the difference between a dip/correction and a proper dive - my hands have been well and truly tempered by that initial burn, and they will HODL now.

7. Zoon

I'm mostly looking at the ETH <> altcoin rates on binance and with ETH getting stronger it's making it look like the coins themselves are down a lot but actually they're not so bad. HODL all the way.

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

The cool thing about the Binance app is it gives you an estimate of how many USD a coin is worth. For instance FUN is worth about 15 US cents right now, down from 17 yesterday, with that in perspective the drop isn't too massive.

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Kicking yourself you say? I pondered dumping some money into BTC for the longest time, until I eventually decided I was definitely going to buy 20 BTC in 2013 (around £1000, and then kicking myself that I didn't do anything when it was $5). Had the long discussion explaining what it was, what I was doing and why I was doing it to the Mrs.

Things were busy, new baby, moving house, changing jobs. Shame I never made it so far as actually doing it. That said I would have thanked my lucky stars and binned it all when it got to $1000 and still be kicking myself.

Moral of the story, invent a time machine.

10. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Exactly, at the point where I binned my original Bitcoins in around 2011 iirc my rig was mining 0.2btc per day! The price dropped through the floor, the rig was re purposed over time and the original wallet lost. Am I kicking myself? Yes, but I don't dwell on it, there isn't any point!

I've currently got a portfolio that covers 10 different Alt coins and although the the current dip has hit it quite hard I'm still massively up on my original investment, I've got prices in my head that I would sell out at but I'm in it for the long haul tbh

MLyons likes this.
  11. Xir

Xir Modder

that's how my Shares (yes I know, old Money) worked....i sometimes forgot how much I had and I certainly forgot how much I originally paid for it.
    Some won, some lost and in the end I'm about even 15 years in :grin:

None went through the roof though (and it was all "Play" Money that didn't hurt anyway.) :naughty:

Maybe I should move this over to so of these coins here, I'm good at fire-and-forget

12. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I’m still down massively across the board except for XRP.

13. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

How? Unless you were buying at or close to all time highs, it's quite difficult to be massively down. Or are you actively day trading or something?

14. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I'm day trading and was waiting on the next high. I hold 13 LTC and bought at $285 each. I hold 0.25 BTC that I bought at 16000, only to find it massively down as well. Not an issue... I've got time to burn.

I was pretty successful before the drop, so I just need to wait. :)

15. Zoon

I just wrote a little php script to grab the prices of the coins I care about, avg midpoint from the high and low, from the past 7 days, in csv format. I can then chuck these values into an Excel spreadsheet I put together which tells me how much my portfolio is worth. Sometimes I love being a geek.

If anyone wants a copy of it I'm happy to share, it will only really work for you if you're trading coins in eth/ltc/btc and therefore tracking value relative to that as it's set for decimals with 8 points, not currency (although I'm working to add a convert to (COIN of yourchoice) then convert to GBP value option as well).

MLyons likes this.
  16. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

PHP... *shivers with pain

17. Zoon

I use it at a scripting level only, automation and templating. I’m not interested in all the heavy duty OO, big web applications. I’d much rather use a Python with Django for that.

PHP as an alternative to Perl or bash scripts however is great! String manipulation and iteration and loads and loads of built in functions and methods.

I looked at doing this in PowerShell and hash tables are really a travesty. They really want you to work in a different way for PS but the way I want the data it’s just simpler in PHP. So here we are.

18. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Now this I'm a big fan of. Surprised you didn't grab prices in python aswell. Could even plot them on the frontend using something like D3. I'm tempted to work on this now.

19. koola

koola Minimodder

This thread is a somewhat entertaining read.

I'm swing trading BTC atm and it's going well although BTC mining is far more profitable long term.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

GREEN! Oh, how I've missed the sight of green! Currently 7% up, though it's slipped back a little from this morning. Still, as long as the bleeding is over I can take a bit of single-digit back-and-forth.