1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Do you know of any guide on how to set up the microcontroller? My grandfather would really appreciate some flashing lights in addition to the doorbell I think.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I did a guide for the Raspberry Pi version of it a few years back, before replacing it with the more reliable Spark Core, but it's pretty basic: wait for button push, if button pushed wait for a fraction of a second and see if it's still pushed (basic debounce, effectively, so you don't get phantom bell rings when there's interference), then trigger IFTTT and open a port to a Python server running on a Raspberry Pi with a PiGlow attached that does nowt except "when someone opens a connection on this port, make the lights flash."

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Just had a phone call, or rather my partner did, from one of the banks she has a PPI claim with. As my partner is hard of hearing and in her 70's I am handling this sort of stuff.
    The sole aim of these calls and the young girl asking the questions was very pleasant, is to get the claimant to say that no they do not remember being pressured in to taking out PPI, in my opinion.
    The questions were on a credit card taken out 20 years ago and laughingly you are expected to know word for word what was said.
    I told the girl that twenty years ago you did not get a credit card or loan unless you agreed to PPI, no PPI no loan etc. Which is why the banks have had to pay out billions.
    I am wondering if they phone the older folk in the hope that they might inadvertently say something that will invalidate any claim.
    She did get a bit shirty mind when I said I was recording the phone call, she said I could not and I told her to google the law on it.

MLyons likes this.
  4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So I live down a narrow lane, at the end is a small field, the owner of which got planning permission to build some shitbarn late last year.

So the very first digger comes up the lane yesterday and smashes a four foot loong by two foot deep hole in the dry stone wall that holds up my garden. Naturally the little charmer driving the digger isn't insured and swears blind it's not his fault because 'the wall stuck out,' where he hit it. I doubt it's worth getting teh police involved or suing him, the police round here only seem to care about their speed camera vans and little digger driving numpties tend not to own anything worth suing them for.

Happy New Year!

Unrelated, my hacked together N64 stick doesn't work properly, adjustments needed...

Last edited: 12 Jan 2018
  5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

servers. Stupid servers.

adidan likes this.
  6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Hmrph.

Still no tyre, downside of semi-exotic rubber :/
    I'm told Monday for certain... probably.

I feel like the puncture could probably be repaired, but if not, it's a lot of faff to find out and not have a spare waiting.

7. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

DiY it (assume it's not on the sidewall), a mushroom / plug kit is only going to run you 20 odd quid

8. Mister_Tad

With it on the wheel? Don't see how that would be worth much. To be honest, I'm not entirely overjoyed by the idea even a pro repair job, unless they're confident it's an easy patch.

This afternoon added to a wonderful week of car ownership...

[​IMG]

Since the Polestar is out of commission due to the tyre, and my wife hasn't worked up the chutzpah to drive the Lotus yet, I did the school run in that.
    It's not been driven in around a month, though it's been on a conditioner. Started without issues in the garage, but I guess the 3mi drive to the school wasn't enough for it to start under it's own steam once again. Had to wait for the wife to come and give me a jump.

Still time this week to go three for three!

EDIT: Lotus battery appears to be dead, 6 months from new. It will start straight off the conditioner, but after a few minutes drops to <12.4v and won't. *sigh*

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Been waiting over two weeks and still no Mooltipass - in fact it'll be three weeks tomorrow.

Am a bit pigged off right now.

10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Yeah, dead easy.
    Go YouTube motorcycle mushroom tyre fixes, or even the string repair kits.

11. Mister_Tad

Interesting... didn't know that was a thing. I'm not sure I like it as a permanent fix though, maybe to get to where you need to go to get it properly fixed or replaced - it does beat a mobility kit though for not making a mess and possible issues with TPMS.

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I would pay good money for someone to stick screen protectors on my devices. I never seem to manage it without some bubbles that refuse to move to the edges.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2018
  13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Some phones come with one already applied. Oneplus I think?

14. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

USB ports on my Mid 2010 Macbook Pro have died and my Asus Laptop refuses to run Windows 10 with the battery connected :(

Vodka however fixes all :D

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I too have found this to be true.

16. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'll have to see if our servers accept vodka. Will report back Monday. If not more for me :lol:

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Got given one of those pre-paid debit card type things... someone thinking they're doing me a favour because skint and what have you...

...only to find out [upon trying], I pretty much can't use it anywhere.

18. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

8 years to the day since my friend took her life...

i had a crush on her at highschool, but never told her how i felt, and after it was over...we lost contact, and never regained it.
    i just keep wondering if i had reached out to her, would she still be here today
    she was as close as anyone has ever came to understanding my issues, and i miss her alot
    Yet her family wont talk to me, so i never found out why she took her lifem and that hurts

ive lost many people, alot to their own choice, but ive always understood their reasoning, and in most cases accepted it, but this feels like an open wound that may never heal

19. gupsterg

gupsterg What's a Dremel?

Here's me thinking DDR4 pricing is ruining my life. As much as the burden is heavy I'd say you just gotta crack on, thinking the people you have lost would have wanted you to have happy days and not to be sinking them in sadness.

20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

There is nothing you could have done. I have lost three very close friends to suicide and the first one had me thinking about what I could have done differently. Then the second happened within a year. Again I blamed myself. Fact is that whilst I may have been able to prolong it there was nothing I could have done.

At the end of the day if someone is "wired" that way then you won't stop the inevitable. The last thing you should be doing is beating yourself up over it. It won't do you any good and it won't help.