1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

It's good to see you back Simon, your unique brand of genius lunacy has been much missed fella :D ;)

Guest-44432 likes this.
  2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Thank you mate. It's been a crazy few yrs since 2013. Moving around, settling down with the wrong crazy ex's, that I'm finally back in my home town and settled with a lovely fiancé, that actually enjoys gaming and doesn't nag! :D

Even my 7month old son loves gaming too... :D

[​IMG]

adidan, Zoon and Guest-56605 like this.
  3. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Ahhh engineering, why did FD make it such a grind and RNG powered mess...

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of being able to make module modifications but the resource grind, which is random as hell and takes an age show a gross lack of respect on the players time.

Also, instead of a gambling inspired RNG outcome for generating a modification, it would be far better to have choices sliders.
    Take for example a level 4 FSD range mod. Instead of a mix of random positive and negative effects, it would be more sensible for me to 'tune' my own change. Let's say I want max optimised mass on the slider, that should come with some costs, like for every 100 tons of mass optimisation, I take a 2% power draw and a 1% heat increase for example.

That would make it a meaningful choice at least. Rather than the current solutions of hours of searching for a handful of resources only to have the effort wasted when RNG gives you a slap in the face.

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Wait till the first update drop's of this year which is the "Beyond" series updates.

Engineering is going to be so much better and easier apparently.

As it is I am just sat doing passenger missions on my main account, raking in over 100m cr per trip and each trip takes about 40 minutes.

5. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

RNGesus giveth and taketh away... so I get a Stage 4 FSD upgrade to my Python, gives it a nice 21LY 'laden' range, lovely.
    This gives me the 'XP' to unlock the Stage 5 FSD upgrades.
    So I spent hours getting 6 of each of the resources required to do 6 'rolls' for what should have been an upgrade from the Stage 4 and every roll was worse that than the Stage 4. Grrr. Roll on the update!

You up in Rhea Damien?

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Grade 5 FSD's are nice but I am not doing any engineering now until the update drops, my Anaconda for exploration currently does 56Ly but need's alot doing to it yet so hoping when the update comes I can get it to over 60Ly.

I am doing my passenger missions from Evan's Port (Parutis) to Vela Dock/Lie Silo (Medb), 15Ly between the 2 system's and I am getting on average 150 - 160 passengers each run and making well over 100m Cr in a hour.

Just done a run and went from 512,854,415 cr to 663,195,870 a nice profit of 150.3M Cr.

If you decide to do it here then this is what I am doing.

Go to Evan's Port and pick up all mission's going to Medb except the ones where it has a image of a crown, mostly protestor's, prisoners, tourist's etc
    Land at Vela Dock complete mission's and sell cargo reward's
    Land at Lie Silo and complete final mission's
    Go back to Evan's Port and sell cargo
    Board switch like crazy to stock up.

Now if you need to build up your rep at Evan's Port, you will get some passenger mission's that offer decent rewards straight away but when board swapping you will notice some mission's for Donation's of credit's.

I am in my Anaconda, with every slot filled with passenger cabin's except for a class 3 or 4 shield generator and a 16T cargo rack.

I started doing this 2 night's ago although I have only done a couple of run's because the travel to Vela Dock is around 40 minutes, but I started on around 142M Cr and now have over 660M Cr, but I am going to do more whilst I can because I have a 890M Cr fine to pay off and then I want to have some money left to buy and outfit a Cutter ~800M Cr, Type 10 ~400M Cr, Chieftan price unknown yet and a few other's.

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Currently £4.99 on humble store. Pondering if I should buy it.
    Would it be easier with the XBOX controller over keyboard for flying?

Thanks

Last edited: 18 Jan 2018
  8. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

For a fiver it's a no brainer - I use an Xbox controller with no issues whatsover :thumb:

Mr Happy likes this.
  9. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

so I was last playing with a tobii eyetracker and my hotas, but now i want to try rift and hotas. Does anyone have any experience of switching between the two; is there anything i need to watch out for, or is it particularly difficult to setup so i can switch between the two?

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

You won't want to switch between the two once you play with a rift.

Mind. Blowing.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  11. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

Absolutely to both! I'd be tempted by the full pack though rather than just the base game.

12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

I am really interested in this, but I do not think I have the time available to enjoy it properly. Some of the missions seem quite lengthy and I am not sure I could commit enough time into it :miffed:

13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Is it me, or is the AI ridiculously over powering? I'm in a ASP Explorer...

I lost 5mil CR's from getting blown up after being interdicted a couple of times. (Normally I escape with no issues, but these two times, there was no escape vector to follow, and I was thrown out of super cruise...)
    Literally, one shot stripped my shields and the next completely destroyed me. I believe one of the ship was a Phython and the other a Vulture.

Now what is more frustrating is the fact I played for a few hrs to gain the credits trading, only to lose all the time that it took to get them.

14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Welcome to combat in Elite Dangerous.
    That sounds like you were hit by an engineered Plasma Accelerator or Railgun, just run away from ships that are bigger than you, all Vultures are bigger than you, always. Also, when interdicted if you go to zero throttle and submit your FSD will recharge faster, meaning you will spend less time running away.

Last but not least it sounds like you need stronger shields, putting power distribution points into systems will also make them stronger.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  15. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You won't go back once you start playing ED in VR. I have a 40" 4K monitor, which I would take pure immersion over a higher res 2D monitor. Gaming on the monitor feels so flat. ED with my Rift and Hotas is pure immersion! :)

I don't know what it was, but it totally peed me off, as I couldn't have time to run, as it was soo quick...

I have 5D shields at the mo, and was going to upgrade that as soon as I finished my last job, only to be interdicted and destroyed in seconds. Not only that but to re-spawn, leave the docking station and immediately get interdicted again by the same Kepler guy as soon as I hit super cruise really made me want to rage, as like I mentioned before, there was no escape vector!?...

Admittedly, I normally run with power distributed to Engines at maximum (4), leaving the system at half (2). But I didn't even get time to adjust the power accordingly as it was over too fast...

16. fix-the-spade

If it was that fast and the same guy twice, are you sure it wasn't a player? AI interdictions aren't usually so aggressive.

17. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Wouldn't a player have CMDR before their user name? The name was "Kepler"

18. fix-the-spade

Indeed, in that case it was just a really nasty AI ship you fell foul of.

19. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

appreciate the feedback, but unless there's a handy way of playing football manager/running a browser in Elite that I've never found (please tell me there is), i will want to switch back to using a 2d monitor whenever i'm doing any long haul stuff. I want to give the passenger hauling a shot; the last time i played i got my rep up with our beloved empire (I'm allegedly a space-duke, i think), did some FSD engineering, and a bunch of planetary scan missions to get my cash up, then stopped because the next logical step was trading in a T9 and I'm not as up for that. but converting my T7 into a spacebus is something i'd like to give a try, and should let me grind enough cash to get one of the bigger ships (cutter, anaconda, federal spacebrick) that i can then do up as an all-purpose ship because at the moment i fly everywhere in my Asp because it's just quicker than anything else i've got. I got a clipper and i love it, but wish it would fit on a medium pad.

on the rift i take it folks play at a desk with hotas; do you run through the setup again to do that? I've only set mine up with the touch controllers and two sensors so i can move about so far.

20. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

The type 7 is a space garbage truck. If you want to haul then it's an OK stop gap but it costs nearly as much as a clipper and although the python is 3 times more expensive, it can be configured to carry slightly more cargo, can land on mediums pads (giving you much more flexibility) and is useful for more than hauling space garbage...

Don't do it to yourself.

The Asp is great for rares trading until you can afford to get a better multi purpose ship or something that is good for a bit of space pew pew like the Fer De Lance.

The type 7, should be re-classified as a medium ship or have its max cargo increased to 350t to give it some proper value.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2018