1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features 20 Years On: Resident Evil 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 23 Jan 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I could never get on with the early RE games because of the awful 'tank turret' player movement, I just despised it as a control mechanic then, and still do whenever I play them today, via emulation.

3. gosh

gosh Minimodder

"lets split up, search for survivors and get out of here !"

probably aged terribly so i wouldn't play again but i've put more hours in the re2 demo on my psx (ended when you left gun shop iirc) and knife killing every zombie in that section without taking a hit than i have most modern games - think i unlocked every ending and mode in the main game including tofu and i never got tired. really was a great game with loads of content and re-playability for the time, upgradable weapons, story told from different points of view after first playthrough. i'll always remember the early series entries for their fixed camera angles and sound though, especially the 'click...click' of a hunter or licker. re3 had the nascent mercenaries/time attack mode, dodging and even more weapons crafting/upgrading plus the brilliant (and terrifying ) nemesis, as well as jill in a tube top, but it's really re2 that took the whole concept of the first game and turned it up to 11 with bigger area, higher stakes and a much more twisty plot.

i do practically regard 4 and onwards as almost a separate franchise though, superb game but veronica tinkered with the zombies idea and 4/5 totally made it something completely different - need to get around to chronicles/zero i'm sure i have bought in bundles or on PSN.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

4 was superb, but after that it went to total ****. I tried playing 7 and it's just utter trash.

I have 0, 1 remake, 2, 3 Nemisis and 4 on the GameCube, still sitting in my parents loft.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

The game itself doesn't make me feel old, however this does:

:confused:

6. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

As much as I liked playing RE2, Capcoms Dino Crysis 2 was a much better game. Anyone played that?

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aye, with you on that one. Along with reading stuff about the Dreamcast generation of consoles being "retro" or "vintage" - in my head it was only yesterday I was queuing up in Electronics Boutique to buy one!

adidan likes this.
  8. gosh

gosh Minimodder

dino crisis 2 is practically an arcade shooter, rewards based on combo kills and fast room clears you use to buy bigger guns and upgrades on top of some bizarre time travel plot IIRC. also spent a lot of time on that game but a run'n'gun shooter can't really be compared to re2's slow survival game even if they were from the same root. do remember that gun that caused a huge static ball when fired though, used to wipe out hordes of dinos with that.

Guest-16 likes this.
  9. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

Anyone finished mission with Tofu?, that was damn hard. Well at least I've done it with Hunk.
    Superb game, I was into zombies that time and this title was just perfect production wise.
    Just few months later came out first Silent Hill, another PSX jewel.

adidan likes this.
  10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Silent Hill, that was a game my GF and non-gaming mates would happily just watch me play.

Tags: Add Tags