1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Something fell off my motherboard!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Blogins, 24 Jan 2018.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Left the PC on and when I walked back in the room there was a smell much like a wood fire and no life from the PC. So I took it apart and found a component had fallen off as pictured below...

AM1H-ITX.png

The part has a number of 3R3 348 CXD which does look somewhat blacker than it should and damaged on one corner! Comes from an Asrock AM1H-ITX motherboard. Any of you wise folk know where I can source a replacement part to resurrect my board?

Any help much appreciated as always! :thumb:

2. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Thats a 3.3uH shielded inductor. You can get it from usual sources - farnell, rs, mouser, etc.
    But a bigger question is what was the cause of it falling off. Is the solder on the pads cracked or did it desolder itself? Are there any indication of other damage to the motherboard (failed ICs/ caps bulging/ charring on the PCB)?
    IF it heated to the point of solder melting, there is a very high chance that it was due to short circuit and probably other components will also be dead/damaged.

Blogins and MLyons like this.
  3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The solder looks cracked. There's no observable damage besides the component that fell off.

Can't find an exact match for the component number quoted above. Can you suggest an appropriate 3.3uH shielded inductor as a replacement?

4. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Can you measure the size of it? Looks like 7.3x7.3mm but could be wrong.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's 6x6 mm.

6. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Blogins likes this.
  7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Excellent, worth a shot for a couple of quid!

Thanks for your help with this issue! :thumb:

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

After soldering on the part specified I got some life out of the motherboard! Unfortunately the component gets very hot so there's something amiss with the board.

At least it affords me the opportunity to remove the Windows 7 product key from this system so I can reinstate it on another! :thumb:

Arboreal likes this.