1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Subnautica Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 26 Jan 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I've heard it's not very good in VR compared to the regular flat mode, is that something you guys test yet?

3. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Sweet didn't even know it was finally out of early access. I've had it for quite some time but never played more than an hour or so due to not wanting to get spoiled and/or burned out on an incomplete game. Excited to play it now!

4. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

My experience of it in VR has been fairly good, it's very immersive as you feel like you're really wearing a diver's mask. The first time you go into the depths wearing a VR headset is absolutely terrifying.
    What lets it down in VR is the UI... it can be a bit of a struggle to look at and use the interface in VR so most of the time you'll just be swimming around and not actually doing a whole lot.

5. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

@suenstar

I'll keep an eye on it's updates and hopefully they iron out the clunky UI, it does look like it'd be a fun game in VR.

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

It's very immersive in VR, but there's some major problems all related to it being a game that can be played while wearing a VR headset and not a game designed for, or modified for VR.

- Motion. If you're susceptible to VR sickness, this is not the game for you.
    - Tracked controllers. Nope, you can't play with them - not even using them as a joypad.
    - UI. It's controller or m/kb only and not optimised for VR.

Do the negatives outweigh the immersion of playing in VR? No, not in my opinion.

Dave Lister likes this.
  7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

As mentioned, you would think this would be super immersive in VR given it's an experience that at actually requires a mask IRL. I guess you could wear a wetsuit too... And sit the bath :)

8. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Subnautica is just so damn good. Excellent review of what makes it so good :)

Tags: Add Tags