1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Think my 780 is done. What is an equivalent?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pete*, 31 Jan 2018.

1. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

So, suddenly my PC screen flashed at me and went grey.

I had to reboot with power reset button. Get back in to windows, and it says 'Code 43' next to my nvidia card in device manager.
    Try to install its drivers and it doesn't detect the card. I reboot, it installs drivers but still doesn't enable
    the card in windows.

Along with the blue lines as shown in the picture. I am guessing this is my card gone kaput. :(

So, I need a replacement for an EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC... is it the 1060 or 1070 that are equivalent cards at the moment?
    And where is the best place to look for them at hopefully slightly lower prices?

As, obviously I can't afford either what with the ridiculous prices GPUs are now! :(

I'll be eyeing the market place for suitable cards. Not a good time to lose my card! :(

IaMG_3200.JPG

2. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

The equivalent would be the 1060 3Gb on paper, though to have any real gain you would want a 6Gb - the 1070 urinates on the 1060.

As for where to buy, shop around reputable etailers though both OCUK and Scan stock box open returns (they sell quickly so you will need to be quick off the mark).

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Bake it, it should get you at least another two weeks or more. Just put some flux under before you bake.

4. pete*

Looks like 1070/1070Ti is lowest I can go then. Thanks for the info. Seems about £550 for 1070/£600 for Ti is minimum at moment.
    Going to be waiting a long time I think.

Not even going to attempt that. Nowhere to bake it for starters, and not confident to do it and put it back together again.

5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

You could always try re-flashing the ROM. Grab the latest version from the t'internet and give it a go. JayZ2Cents youtube video on a 780 with a similar issue last night, oddly!

6. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

If it's already broke you can't break it any more :)

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

1050Ti isn't actually that much slower than a GTX 780 (it's faster in some games! And that's before you clock it to 1900Mhz). It's also pretty much the only GPU that hasn't doubled in price.

Everything above that, the price per FPS ratio just goes up the wall imo...

EDIT:

Last page of that article - 22 game average 1080p FPS:

Palit Jetstream GTX 780 3GB - 64
    Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti G1 - 52

So anything that is playable on your 780, will be playable on a 1050 Ti, essentially.

8. pete*

I know, but I don't have a cooker, and can't be messing about with other things to try baking it.

This I may well try. Thanks. :)

Interesting. I am looking for something that is a better performer (by a bigger margin). But seeing as the MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GAMING X 4G is £173 at the moment compared to the others at over £300
    I am tempted. Working out if I can justify it. :D

Possibly looking for an older card, but I didn't realise the prices had affected even 980's, AMD R9's and everything. All of them are £400+ if you find them.
    Absolutely crazy.

9. Vault-Tec

Send it to me. I will do my best. It's very easy, if you use the right technique. If you can get access to an oven it goes like this.

DO NOT put the card on foil balls. This is stupid AF. When the solder melts things can fall off. Put it PCB side down (stripped and cleaned obs) on a sheet of alu foil with the dull side up. This will prevent anything falling off, or too much heat being reflected in.

Put a few coins on the GPU core itself. Just to press it down a little. Squirt some flux under the core, bake at 200-220 (I will need to double check that it has been a while) for 8-10 mins IIRC (that info should be easy to find).

Turn off the oven, open the door and leave it open for about 30 secs. Then close the door again. This will basically let the card cool down with the oven (IE slowly) as quickly reducing the temp can crack more solder joints.

I had a 8800 Ultra that I baked about four times, giving me another year out of it overall.

10. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

Ah, yeah, apologies for assuming! :)

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

It wasn't an unfair assumption though. There's not a lot of people that either don't own or don't have access to one.

12. pete*

Do you really love doing this kind of thing? :)
    I’m going to see if a rom flash does anything (and doesn’t brick it). If not, then if you’re really into doing it then sure I’ll be happy to send over to see if baking works. Satisfy your baking urges :D
    And thanks for the info. I’ll keep that handy in case I get a working cooker.

We have one, it just doesn’t work and won’t be replacing for a good few months. ;D but yeah not exactly an unfair assumption :D
    As for access to one, it is more my confidence in taking it all apart and putting it back together that stops be anyway, than the lack of cooker.
    Would love to see some people’s faces when I ask if I can do some baking in their cooker.

13. Vault-Tec

No, I hate it. It's a royal PITA. However, on the other hand I hate to see a brother down. And I also hate GPU prices at the moment and feel bad for any one who games and finds themselves needing a card.

I'm just upgrading one of my rigs. It has a 950. I'd desperately like something better (like a 1080p max everything card) but the prices make me wince. I spent a week just trying to find some DDR4 without leaving me feeling abused.

Also - I would not flash the ROM. Your card is currently not fully operational because something connecting something has failed. That could be terminal.

You could always buy the cheapest Ebay heat gun and DIY tbh. As said, you you have nothing to lose :)

14. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I would also recommend flashing it first. It won’t harm the card so long as you do it properly. It’s also recoverable with a secondary GPU (iGPU works too) if things go really wrong.

I also watched Jay do it with his friends card and thought about it, then thought twice about posting. Now I’m doing it as I saw someone else post it. XD

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I've always gone with the thought that if it's borked you may as well flash, you've got nothing to lose. That'd be my personal first point of call before putting it in the oven.

Done it several times over the years, not had one go south. Yet.

16. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I have in the past. It’s easy enough to recover if you’ve got some other Google device available to you. :)

17. Vault-Tec

I've never known this sort of problem to be caused by a bad bios. Maybe if you lowered the voltage and the clocks it would help.

This screams of either chip failure (which baking will fix for a while) or BGA failure. I can't see a bios fixing that, but hey you never know I guess.

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

True enough, just thought it would be worth giving it a go - they can be a cruel mistress that you can just never fathom sometime :)

19. Vault-Tec

20. pete*

Sooo just updating :D Not has a chance to properly get on.

Tried the ROM flash and nothing. It didn’t fix it. :(
    Sooo while I am saving up for a GPU for hopefully when they fall in price I’ll prob have enough for a 1080. I’m going to have a go at baking!
    The only thing I’m not sure of, is some places say don’t do it in ovens you still use?? As it is poisonous?? Eh!?
    Really? Or is that just extremely over cautious people?
    Any oven I might use would be used for food afterwards...

As it is, won’t be ‘til Tuesday that I have a go.

But... thanks for all the suggestions from you guys :D