1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs LG OLED55B7V OLED TV anyone got one

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 5 Feb 2018.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Got a bit of cash and have been wanting an OLed TV for a while. Looking at the Which reviews the LG OLED55B7V scores well so can anyone give me a review on this TV?

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

FWIW, I've been sitting on the OLED fence until they get BFI implemented on them (google it) - they finally have for the 2018 sets which will be available in the near future.
    I checked out an LG G7 in SSAV towards the end of last year and found the motion resolution to be seriously problematic. YMMV.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

SSAV ?
    YMMV?

4. Mister_Tad

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Oddly when I Googled that is what I got and I thought why?

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

:)

If you can wait a few months iirc most manufactures release their new models around spring time, then you can choose between improved models and possibily reductions on previous years models.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2018
  7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

None the wiser.:oldconfused:

8. Mister_Tad

My LMGTFY post was tongue in cheek, admittedly, but seriously, google wants to be your friend, let it be.

It's definitely worth some research - motion smear may be something that bothers you, it may not be. The BFI on LG's 2018 sets could be a train wreck too, but if you're not in a hurry, worth seeing how it pans out IMO (in my opinion ;))

Go to a shop, ask to see a comparison of a 24p source on an LCD with BFI switched on, and any of LG's current OLEDs (whether it's a B7 or a W7, same story). Someone in Curry's will stare at you blankly, but Sevenoaks have at least a 50% chance of understanding what you're asking.

Alternatively, if you're not interested or bothered by it, the B7 is stellar value for money where picture is concerned, with the Panasonic range getting an honourable mention for what some say is a more natural (yet less "punchy") picture. They're all the same panels at the end of the day, so the differences you should see between sets are the processing, the design and the onboard audio.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Every implementation of BFI I've used just adds flicker and lowers brightness, I've disabled it on each screen of mine that had it, can't see why OLED would be better.

10. Mister_Tad

I think it's one of those things like DLP rainbow effect - the YMMV bit. I wouldn't be without it on my Samsung LCD. There's a brightness hit (offset by a light controlled room), but neither myself nor the Mrs notice any flicker, just lovely crisp pans.

I'm optimistic about it's inclusion on the new LGs on the basis that it's been omitted for so many years for a reason, clearly, so perhaps they've nailed it now?

There's always soap-opera mode... I can't fathom how this doesn't bother some people though.

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

What's the sketch with OLED burn in now the technology is a bit more mature? A non-issue??

I've seen lots of ruined panels from having TV channel logos burnt into the corner of the screen.

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Sevenoaks is a bit far from Edinburgh.
    I assume that BFI is Black Frame Insertion? Thanks to AV forums where they have a whole thread on this particular TV and BFI on LG OLED which is exactly the sort of advice I am seeking.

13. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Glenn - there are multiple branches of SSAV, not just the one in Sevenoaks. That said, the nearest one to you is probably Leeds. There may be a Richer Sounds in Edinburgh still though?

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks Sam, Richer Sounds is where I shall likely go as the y price match with https://www.drakedisplays.com/product/lg-oled55b7v-55-oled-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv/ according to AV Forums so I could save 300 quid. Though I may not like the silver bezel of the B7 and go for the C7 which has a black bezel which R S do not sell. But it seems silly to spend an extra £300 on a cosmetic difference alone.

15. Mister_Tad

That's surprising. I would have thought there would be a SSAV nearer, like in Edinburgh... I guess it makes sense that they're more clustered around the south of the country.

Richer Sounds is worth a look, should have the right sort of demo kit in. The problem with Richer Sounds though, is that they're a shop floor setting - what looks good on the shop floor (and with the "demo mode" they often have their sets running in), does not look good at home. Try not to get wowed and seduced by whatever demo reel they have running in the store.

The Movie Rooms in Edinburgh are proper professionals, so worth a look, though you may find that they only have their shiniest toys on demo (and they're pretty high end). You would be better off booking an appointment here.

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

AO rock. Even though my experience was originally a bit of a nightmare it then turned into a dream.

A good few years ago now (about 10) mum's fridge freezer clapped out. Well, it didn't it was fine but the door seals went on the freezer and thus it was full of ice and frost etc. I did a load of looking around and found out that a company called Baumatic made FF with double door seals that were replaceable (the ones she had on her FF were not, which bends). The freezer door (actually both) on the Baumatic are like bloody bank vault doors. Even better still BM are a British company based in Reading and have a great service/repair/warranty etc.

Any way, I order mum a plain silver FF. The exact model she wanted. There was a much more expensive model with smoked glass doors, but she didn't like it nor could she afford it (it was about £600, not £450 like the silver one). Any way, they arrived in the morning to come and take away the old FF. Then about an hour later they came with the "new" one. As soon as they unwrapped it I knew there were going to be issues. It wasn't new it looked like it was a display model. It was also the glass version and the top was utterly screwed. Just a plastic top but it was faded from grey almost to white and looked awful. It also had a small dent and what looked like loads of scratches. I wasn't happy at all I was furious.. Any way I phoned them and asked them to return the original FF but they say they can't because it's gone to the scrap heap in the sky by now. In the end (long story slightly shorter) we ended up paying £230 for the £600 FF and Baumatic sent us a brand new top which took me about ten seconds to fit (clips at the front, two screws at the back). The dent was easily pulled out with some blu tack and the scratches were not scratches but marks from parcel tape. Bit of Isoprop and seriously this thing looked like brand spanking new.

And the best part? she's still got it and apart from a vibrating sound at the back (I must sort that out, something just needs tightening or dampening as when you press on the door it stops) she still has it and it still looks every bit as gorgeous as it always has.

But yeah, finding a company willing to work with you if something goes wrong is invaluable tbh. Not just the regular drone response of "Well send it back then".