1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Altered Carbon (Netflix)

Discussion in 'General' started by Byron C, 4 Feb 2018.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Has anybody else watched this yet? I just finished watching the last episode earlier. Had I not already read the book - all of the Kovacs trilogy, actually - a bajillion times, I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more. In terms of the look I think they absolutely nailed it. A bit dirtier and grimier than the way I imagined 24th century Bay City, but overall I think they got it spot on.

The story on the other hand... The story of the book was never exactly Shakespeare, so the TV series adaptation naturally isn't going to be too far from it. But there were just too many differences for me and much of it seemed really needless. It made it very difficult to watch and enjoy the TV show for what it is. It was still entertaining, but in my mind it's very difficult to disconnect the TV show and the book.

Interested to see what others made of it.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I read the first book a long time ago (i should really catch up with the others) but I just finished episode 3 and I am genuinely enjoying it.

3. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

I'm currently 7 episodes in having binged over the weekend a little - love it. Never read the books before, might pick them up someday to have a look see at how the worlds compare between the screen and written/imagined but won't get my knickers in a twist about the differences if i do :lol:

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

just finished episode 5

holy **** that star weapon in the elevator had me wincing every time it was used

5. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Dammit, I put the super bowl on record and started watching this with the intention of only watching episode 1 before switching to the game; now I'm on episode 6.

6. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

At the same point - has me feeling like a cross between blade runner and the expanse.

that star thing was brutal - whole sequence left me feeling like it was a bit off though. She took a hit to her shoulder and was immediately totally incapacitated - most shows would've had her being able to do something, though it might be more realistic to have her knocked out. Then that guy didn't have to block it with his neck - and the other guy should've been able to catch the elevator easier. But maybe I'm just picking holes.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Might get the free month at Netflix just to watch this but I really don't like much American TV so I suspect the first episode will be enough for me.

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah I don't mean to be all fanboy about it, but I know the books really well so some of the changes just felt jarring. I'm probably being unfair, I did enjoy it. Maybe I need a second viewing to get past it.

Though to be quite honest there's one change from the books that I'm glad they made:

The virtual interrogation in the Wei Clinic is far worse in the book :eeek:

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

just finished, it was an excellent adaptation for TV it really was. deffo worth binging in 2 days. i wonder if they'll do the second book.

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

4 episodes in and I love it. It's good to see a TV series properly grapple with some of the high concept Sci-Fi material that doesn't typically translate from literature to the screen. Unless it's thrown through a sanitised filter which Altered Carbon certainly has not been, very bloody and violent!

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Only watched the first ep so far, but it is intriguing.

Oh, and tomorrow is my day off - bring on the binge!

12. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I binged through the entire series in one go on Saturday. Really enjoyed it. Am really hoping the viewing figures are high enough for Netflix to decide to produce a second series.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Broken Angels would be perfect for a TV series, though I doubt very much that 1 season would be enough for Woken Furies.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I just found this reddit post (SPOILERS for both book & show) which pretty much sums up my issues with this adaptation (although I do somewhat disagree with the "poor actors" statement):

15. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I haven't read the book but my wife and I sat to watch the first episode. Both of us felt it was a little "meh" to be honest... I struggled to get past the barage of scifi tropes in the first half of the episode, but it did hold my intrigue long enough for me to finish the episode.

Maybe it's because I've done a lot of scifi art in the last three years and (although beautiful) AC has the usual rehashed cyberpunk veneer that was originally done decades ago in animation. If I'm able to switch my art-self off for a few hours, I'll probably enjoy the show. :D

16. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Binged the whole series, I would say its a decent enough some bits felt with with you Byron on the change made more sense. Broken Angels would make a good series 2.

Whole thing though I kept waiting for him to say "Dead or alive, you're coming with me!"

17. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Binged watched it over a couple of evenings, Loved it, Intend to read the book soon. Really found it to be very visibly appealing and enjoyable.

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Peter Weller was the ONLY Robocop!

Byron C likes this.