1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by impar, 30 Sep 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

As I have said I have mounted it to the USB which is H and this is what I put in CMD dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:H:\sources\install.esd /index:1 and got the above error. But I will just take your word and install this and hope for the best.

2. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
    and APPID
    {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
    I have seen this in my Event Viewer followed a solution on answers.microsoft, just wondered if this is important, my system seems to work fine. I deleted the original post due to not being relevant to the point.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2018
  3. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Well that Win 10 Pro update really f*cked things up.
    Killed my AV.
    Reset my Start panel so the only apps left on it where 2 I didn't want.
    Re-installed all the M$ bloatware that I had already uninstalled the last time it was forced back on me.
    It also added fluff that on a desktop PC I simply don't need.
    So, instead of spending a few precious hours free of the kids updating my finances, I have to sort this clusterf*ck out.

Please tell me that I can switch to Unbuntu and still play all my Steam games?

Edit: It has also added a (1) bracket to a few of my apps in the start menu.
    2nd Edit: Seems many of my programs cannot be found. Think it is those that were installed on a second SSD.
    3rd Edit: OK so I was able to roll back to the previous version of Win 10 and everything seems back to normal.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2018
  4. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I have such a love hate relate relationship with Windows 10 its not funny. On my new Ryzen build its great, I get no problems at all with it. Runs fine, boots up in 10 seconds, happy me :)

However on my Asus Laptop, the HDMI socket does not work even though I have installed the correct drivers. When the battery is connected and flat it won't power on unless I take the battery out.

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Every time I boot windows, it opens my last internet browser page and my emails without clicking anything. These are disabled in the start up setting but it still does it anyway. Does anyone know of a fix for this. I like to be in control of what I open, I don't like Microsoft doing it for me.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Sounds like you have "Fast Boot" enabled, which is actually the new name for "Hibernate"

Mr Happy likes this.
  7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Going to check this out. Thanks

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It's nothing to do with fast boot iirc, it's Cortana offering to 'pick up where you left off'.

I'm on a preview build and the setting has changed but - here is how to turn it off

Mr Happy likes this.
  9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Legend. Thank you :grin:

EDIT: Not working. I watched the video and I never had the options it showed on screen!! Nevermind

Last edited: 7 Feb 2018
  10. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

how do you you go about removing a pro retail icence to use in a new system?

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Has anyone messed about with transferring old store apps to different PCs?

MS in their infinite wisdom have decided to no longer support their Reader app, something which I like especially on my tablet, but not only that they've updated the app to no longer work and point you to Edge. Le sigh.

In my search for something to replace my PDF reader, I decided to install the eBook app I use. The Barnes and Noble app - which I also like. Except they've updated the app so that you have to select a country before you can proceed, except they forgot to put the bit where you select a country..... Since they no longer care about the app for Windows, I can't see it being updated any time soon.

Now I have both of these on my tablet and they still function, and I've turned off automatic app updates, but in all honesty I suspect they'll get hit at some point and I'll lose the two apps that make my tablet a decent eBook/PDF reader.

12. RedFlames

I know how it sounds, but - give Edge a try, the PDF/EPUB reader is really quite good [better than the 8.x reader app was imo].

13. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I have. I'm not against using Edge overall - I use it on the tablet as it's a far better browsing experience than anything else I've tried - bar Metro IE which was fullscreen.

My main issues with Edge as a PDF reader are that it's got a glaring white background designed to burn my retinas - mostly an issue on my PC. It shares tabs with web pages and doesn't segregate the PDFs I have opened/or had open like Reader does. It doesn't go fullscreen without fiddling, though I believe we can now exit fullscreen without hassle finally.

My general use case was I'd have a few PDFs open at a time in Reader, and I could swipe down to switch between them. When opening Reader again, those PDFs were there and quickly accessible by swiping down too. Unless there's some form of library in Edge that I've missed, you can only really set aside tabs or use the Reading List, which are both more fiddly on a tablet compared to Reader.

It's not that I can't use Edge, but at least for eBooks I'd probably just end up using the Calibre as there's a library and it separates my web pages from my ebooks, assuming the B&N app stops working.

Curiously, what do you prefer in Edge as a PDF viewer compared to Reader?

14. RedFlames

It actually works for a start [i always found the reader app crash-happy as ****], plus epub support. The ability to have it/cortana read stuff aloud comes in handy too. It's also not Acrobat.

I thought they'd added a dark mode for the reader component but it appears not [though more recent versions of 10 have a system-wide f.lux-like blue light filter].

15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

The ability to read aloud is cool, but I can't see myself using it. Dark mode exists when you open an epub, but opening a PDF gives white space down the sides (well grey). I've been lucky with Reader, or you've been unlucky, as it's never crashed on me! I've actually installed the Adobe Reader app as the default PDF reader on my PC to give it a go. Seems ok, though blinding white library interface is a shame.

16. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

I assume you're talking about the Win 8/8.1 store app and not the older reader app for ebooks, which I haven't heard of before typing this out - that I can't help with.

If you're talking about the newer pdf store app, it's still showing as available to download for me via the store app. Try the direct download link, which when loaded from a browser will open the store app and the correct listing for it: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/reader/9wzdncrfhwg5

For store apps, it's also worth having a poke around the packages folder. I haven't tried exactly what you're after but copying the contents of an app from the C:\Users\[USER FOLDER]\AppData\Local\Packages location does allow you to move store app data from one computer to another. I don't think it's where the app is stored but I've found it useful to move game saves around (though only after installing the game on both source and target computer).

17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Yea Win 8/8.1/10 app. I tried just cut/paste the files as a crapshot, and it didn't work unsurprisingly. The reader app was never delisted, it's latest update just stops you from using it and tells you to use edge instead.

18. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Just tried it and you're right, hadn't spotted that.

Short of finding an old .appx version of the app and manually installing it (after enabling sideloading in the dev options of the Windows Settings app) I'm out of ideas. It may also be a futile attempt as sideloading on Windows Phone (8.1, not tried it on 10 mobile) was useless as it automatically crosschecked the appx file with the store and without a store listing wouldn't install. Desktop Windows may be different but I can't find anything like apkmirror for appx Windows files.

19. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I've got the older non-update version on my tablet (running normal windows 10 not RT or ARM based windows), just not sure how to get it onto my desktop.

20. RedFlames

The April update is out now for anyone who wants to get ahead of it...

Will hit WU on patch tuesday [May 8th], so... plan accordingly... EDIT: Some are being offered it already if they checked for updates manually.

cc @Cheapskate

Last edited: 30 Apr 2018