1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Oblivion 8/10: - kinda skipped this when it first came out dunno what it was but i felt the tone/pace of the film was very similar to tron legacy. realized at the credit roll it was the same dir. anyways i enjoyed this.

Jupiter ascending : 6/10 note sure why i chose to watch this on netflix . hard to belive the wachowskis have turned into micheal bay wanabes.

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I think some people expect far too much from films.

They don't have to be 10 out of 10 to be enjoyable.

Half the shite that gets nominated for oscars is laughable as it's so generic.

Ooh a period drama that's really hard to act ect ect.

Wonder woman was excellent and got ignored.

[ZiiP] NaloaC, Arboreal and Yaka like this.
  3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Tbh nothing puts me off a film quite like 'critically acclaimed', it invairably translates to 'tedious as **** award bait'

IanW likes this.
  4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Exit Wounds 3.5/10

Steven Segal is Steven Segal in yet another Steven Segal movie.

Guest-23315 likes this.
  5. Xir

Xir Modder

You mean like the last decade of Will Smith films? :grin: ....begging for an oskar?

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Most of Di Caprio's wares before they finally caved and gave him an oscar.

7. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Wonder Woman
    I can tell it's very well made, but I'm starting to think superhero movies just aren't my thing. I guess I enjoyed it overall, but it's one of those movies I have no further thoughts on afterwards. Didn't irritate or resonate.
    "Gal Gadot was a bit distractingly pretty among all the gritty visuals" is all I have, don't know if that's a pro or a con. :p:

7,5/10 ???

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

The Lone Ranger 15minutes/10

I was generous giving it 15 minutes of my time.

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I hear what you're saying about superhero films.
    I personally enjoyed WW on the basis that it wasn't the "same old noise rehashed". Those last 15 minutes could just be scrapped, IMHO though. It would have made for a more memorable film (by being more different).

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Coco - Excellent/10

Finished watching it 10 minutes ago and I'm still crying ffs.

11. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

The Cloverfield Paradox - 7/10

Despite what critics and audiences are saying, this is perfectly passable sci-fi.

I'm not sure if critics aren't reading into it enough or if they're reading into it too much. Let me tell it how it is: this isn't great. However, the criticism I've come across seems to miss the point.

There are some wacky things that happen in this movie. The movie's major plot device is a generator that generates more energy than it takes in via particles that can jump between dimensions of parallel universes. The plot progresses via the weird things that happen when we mess with the membrane between these dimensions. Some people called certain parts "horror," but I never for a second saw it that way. If you just read into everything as a universe with certain properties, properties that result in the laws of physics that we know, then the crazy events that happen are caused by that universe trying to correct itself back to a stable equilibrium when those rules are pushed or broken. If you understand that then you'll understand all the seemingly supernatural phenomena.

The story isn't fantastic. It's something of a Interstellar meets Moon. The plot twists are predictable but you don't care whether or not they happen because they don't really matter that much to the story or protagonist.

On that, from the beginning this is set as something of an ensemble movie and then we find out who the protagonist is as the movie progresses. This isn't that different from Alien (where the crew is introduced all at once, only after a long sequence of establishing shots of the ship). As the movie progresses certain characters fall into their roles and we eventually learn who it is that is going to grow from this experience. And this is done competently enough. We get a character (with a character flaw) who then overcomes their selfish weakness to save themselves and their friends. We even get a "villain" as a counterpoint, who takes the low road in an extreme sort of "trolley problem" solution.

And then the movie ends.

It's not bad. It's not even close to bad. But it's not quite good either. Considering that it's part of the Cloverfield movies, I find it easy to look over the flaws in hopes that it serves the greater whole of the franchise.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Anyone seen Black Panther yet? All I'm hearing is super super positive reviews. Even better than Thor 3.

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

you sure its not just SJW's blowing noise out their arse bleating incorrectly about how its the first ever film with a black lead? cause that's all I've ****ing heard so far

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's what I'm curious about, honestly. Is it just diversity noise b/c they dare not suggest otherwise, or a genuinely enjoyable movie? I was going to wait for streaming, but if it's that good I might actually go see it.

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Frankly, until they cast a scantily clad grid girl as lead, there will always be injustice in this world.

LennyRhys likes this.
  16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

So... a reboot of Barbarella then?

David likes this.
  17. Pliqu3011

The Thief and the Cobbler [Recobbled Cut]
    10/10

A masterpiece. The animation is mind-blowingly good, second to none. Some insanely complex sequences (like panning through three dimensional environments) any normal person would either cut or do in CGI were animated entirely by hand here. It's simply jaw-dropping.
    The flat aesthetics of this movie are also truly inspired. So many frames would make excellent artwork on their own, and it's filled with dozens of little visual gags cleverly using the artstyle and unique sense of perspective.
    Vincent Price as the evil Grand Vizier Zigzag is just glorious, a joy every time he's on screen.

The story and characters are ok at best and the pacing's a bit all over the place... But more so than any other animated film I've seen this a true animated masterpiece, a singular work of passion for the medium itself, in which no corners were cut and no costs were spared. Even in its current unfinished state, no score lower than 10/10 would suffice.

The Recobbled Cut is a fan edit that aims to restore the film Richard Williams had been working on for 29 years, before it was taken away from him by Warner Bros. and mangled into a weird Aladdin ripoff.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2018
  18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Where can one find this fan edit?

19. Pliqu3011

The whole thing is on Youtube in different parts:

but apparently it's partially region blocked.

For convenience I just downloaded the "official" torrent. [Fan edits are a bit of a legal grey zone so I'm hoping it's ok to post this]

And just to be clear: because the movie was never finished, some of the scenes in this fan edit consist of lower quality workprint footage and even storyboards. It's well edited though to still keep it enjoyable to watch. (I actually think there's a charm to it, occasionally seeing the work in progress bits, the original pencil lines of animation, etc.)

Last edited: 9 Feb 2018
    Gunsmith and Guest-16 like this.
  20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The Disaster Artist - I .. I don't know/10

I've never cringed so much during a film before. I've never contemplated praying the film away before. But watching TDA, I genuinely wished The Room out of existence.