1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Buying from Cex, yes or no?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 8 Feb 2018.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thought I might look for a second hand phone and Cex came up, have never shopped there and most of the reviews I have come accross seem mixed. So wondered what you folks here experience is of this store?

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

They are pretty good and give a 2 year warranty on most stuff.

I bought a Qpad mech board from them, it proved to have a fault where the leds randomly flashed occasionally, they offered me a refund as there wasn't a replacement but I kept it as even a mech board with slight faults was still a good buy at £35.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks for that will have a look.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I've always found that they're quite picky (but fair) when buying items so hopefully if you buy something which is graded as A then you'll get something in good nick. And as CrapBag said you get a 2 year warranty which is pretty decent.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am going down near one of their shops tomorrow so will see what they have and more importantly what price and condition. Cheers.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I was told, when selling, that "Grade A" is only granted to brand new (usually sealed) items. They still unseal to test and inspect, but if you're buying grade A, expect just that.

7. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

The phones I see (Southend store) seem vastly overpriced especially those in C condition. Also their definition of an A grade phone doesn't come close to mine. A grade to me means no damage to the screen at all and only light scratches to the body, not visible scratches and dents.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Will need to watch out for this as there seems to be a big difference on condition expected.

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I've bought a couple old Blackberrys from them a few years back, all were fine.

10. Mister_Tad

Or a big difference between the grade they buy and the grade they sell, or just a big difference between shops.

The grading process in my local shop goes something like "Err, yeah let's say that's a B, s'okay?"

11. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I find their markup when selling is usually double what they buy it in for.

However when I bought an LG G3 last year in Gateshead which was faulty I took it back the very next day and I was refunded without any hassle after they tested it for me. I was expecting them to put up a fight but was very impressed with that.

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Their staff are trained to beat your item up to make it cheaper to buy. This is why after a really bad experience at a Cash Converter many years ago I avoid places like that completely.

13. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I've used them before a few times and everything I had from them was fine. When you can trade stuff in at their voucher price and walk away with something else you wanted it works fine. Traded an old android for an apple watch. Traded an old blackberry and a couple random bits for a Bose Soundlink Mini II. Worked ok for me.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Cash Converter are just robbing b******** they prices the give and the prices they then sell for are nothing more than highway robbery.

15. Mister_Tad

Perhaps in your local branch, but that's not been my experience. I don't think the staff at my local branch really care all that much, they're just there to do a job. With the exception of some questionable testing methods for a pair of ipod classics, I've never had an issue and always received the value I expected for any trade-ins.

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I asked them their policy before I went. I had a set of speakers (PA) that were brand spanking new and a 1kw amp. Together they were a grand RRP. I phoned up, they say they will pay £350 if they are in the condition I described. I got down there and it went on for two hours. They offered me £200. And when I say two hours I mean two hours. He basically slagged them off like they were the worst speakers in the world (they weren't, they were very high end) and etc. In the end I packed the lot back into my friend's car and left, lesson learned.

I don't even understand why he was trying to rip me off. It wasn't even his store, and he was breaking company policy which was that they basically pay 30% of RRP. But I think he got himself a bit carried away thinking I was some sort of mug.

That was the last time I ever went in the place. It cost me £30 to get my mate to take me there and back so I wasn't best pleased.

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Just been down and had a look in Cex, first thing I realised is the plethora of models which meant zilch to me. I had a small list of phones I would be interested in but although there were one or two on my list I felt the quality did not seem to justify the price. In fact one which was listed as A quality was shocking but in fairness the guy said that it seems to have classified wrongly.
    Took a note of phones model numbers that fitted what I am looking for and will do a bit of research.