1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Which case for this mobo / cooler?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Buzzons, 8 Feb 2018.

1. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Hi all,

I'm about to start a new x99 built with an Asus X99 Deluxe and a 5960x. Given the heat output of the 5960x I was looking at using one of the following coolers:

Corsair H115i Pro 280mm AIO
    Corsair H150i Pro 360mm AIO

(Going AIO as I don't really want to deal with a full custom water loop again)

I've built one of these before using a be quiet! - Silent Base 800 but due to the large heat sinks along the top of the Asus X99 as can be seen here

upload_2018-2-8_10-29-8.png

I had to remount the fans on the top side of the case (and cut some holes in the lid to get any airflow at all).

With this in mind - are there any good cases that would provide enough clearance between the top of the motherboard and the case top to fit the rad/fans in without any modding? I think the two AIOs are about 6cm thick with fans attached on one side.

The Phanteks Enthoo Pro looks like a potential (and can take the 3x120mm H150i) but I can't find the measurement for the clearance (this video seems to suggest ~6.8cm clearance at the 2:30 mark) - any other cases people would recommend?

Last edited: 8 Feb 2018
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I have almost same combo (5960/R5E) and can't find anything that fits the top. An InWin 805 for S340 Elite should allow 280s in the front of the case - I'm going for the latter with a NZXT 280 AIO . You don't need a 360 unless you're realllly cranking up the volts.

3. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Ah boo :( - I've got my current 5960x at 1.125v (I think) - and with the Corsair H110i GT it still gets quite toasty under 100% load (OC'd to 4.3GHz over all cores)

Happy to go with the a 280mm if you think it'll be ok (was hoping to push the new 5960x faster than this one) - sadly I can't remove the 5 1/4 bays due to legacy awfulness. Hence trying to fit it along the top.

Any reason you went for the NZXT AIO over the Corsair?

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Corsair is VERY expensive out here. Don't really 'care' for their design either. I don't OC this chip over 4 day to day, and it's binned to do 5+ on LN2, so maybe it's lower leakage idk.
    What about an entry WC kit instead of AIO? That'll give you more flexibility for rad support as you can have longer tubing.

5. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

One of my other computers is in a custom water loop that I built.. 10 or so years ago.. It's just so expensive to build it all out .. and a pain to maintain :(

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Get a good air cooler and forget AIO. They suck.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I agree there, sadly.

Unfortunately very few large-enough ones easily support quad channel memory. I did have a Le Grand Macho but it cut off two DIMM slots. You need very low profile memory instead for it to work.

8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The Noctua D15 would be fine, I’d imagine.

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Would the Le Grand Macho cut off the DIMMs on an ITX B350 board?
    Asking out of un healthy curiosity.

10. Dennis1234567

Dennis1234567 What's a Dremel?

This is what i built my last system in, a Coolermaster Storm Stryker case.. It was designed with large components in mind, and top mounted cooler. It is also modular in that the front two 140mm fans can be orientated in any direction you want. The roof can accommodate up to a twin 240mm radiator. It can also be stripped down into a million pieces which is handy for those that build. All case fans are front panel controlled, and has a floor mounted PSU.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2018
  11. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Phanteks Evolv range has a huge offset for it's removable roof mounting rad bracket, probably the same as the Enthoo. I've seen builds in various Evolv cases using motherboards from pretty much every manufacture, so I can't see why it wouldn't fit.

And Phanteks frankly crap over pretty much everybody in the quality for cost metric in the case world right now (and that's coming from a life long Lian Li fan!).

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Christ on a bike that thing is HUUUUUUGE.. and I used to have a Big Typhoon.

13. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

TheMadDutchDude are AIOs really that much worse than standard heatpipe/fan based coolers? I always assumed they'd be better given they can have larger radiators and direct the heat out of the case (instead of towards the back of the case etc)

14. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

You don't call something "Le Grand Macho" lightly! I do love Thermalright coolers, though... Them and Scythe, both make stuff that performs right up there with the best AIO's, is well built, come with decent fans in the box, but don't charge you through the nose like Noctua.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Semi passively cooled a 120W CPU!

No because only one side is lower than the other, but it would be the entire size of the board.

16. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

That's the idea, CPU and board on one side, raiser to the back with a 1050ti kalmx and seasonic prime fanless on the other, open all round.
    Just thinking of what this would look like as a centerpiece in my living room.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That would work with a 65W CPU. It wouldn't be able to sustain heavy loading for more than a minute or two without a fan, but any day to day use it'll be warm but fine. I had a 520W Seasonic fanless attached too. The GPU was semi-fanless (fan stop tech)

18. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I was looking at the Ryzen 5 1500X which is the highest clocking 65W Ryzen. For what it would be used for, it would be enough, and it'd just be a custom open case with the GPU behind the motherboard tray. This is just a pipe dream anyway.