1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video How To Make a Custom GPU Backplate

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 9 Feb 2018.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Alex Banks walks you through creating a beautiful brushed aluminium backplate for your graphics card.

Watch here

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Dat mustache doe.

MLyons likes this.
  3. silk186

silk186 Derp

I can't take him serious, or even finish the video.
    Is it locally sourced aluminum?

4. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Will just have to deal with it as that's me.

Yup this is UK sourced

MLyons and Dogbert666 like this.
  5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

May want to turn the atmos music down a notch - I found it competes with your commentary too much.

Unless that's just my phone and headphones.

Handy vid though
    :dremel::thumb:

6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Fo shizzle.
    Yeah, music is too loud.

Nice vid, nice to see the big tools used properly. I'd like to see a vid of this done 100% budget all the way though.

7. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Just listened to it and it seemed fine to me. Will see what it sounds like on my home setup and pass on the feedback.
    So like a "caveman modding" or something along those lines? It's a Friday afternoon I know it's a naff name. :)

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nope, the music is a little strong. A soft-spoken gentleman with a strong English accent is hard to understand with the music at that volume.
    Stache: People still dis Bob Ross' afro too, but they know who he is.
    Also, You should have braced the plate better when cutting it with the coping saw. ;)

9. Maki role

Got you covered fam, some of the videos are going to be like this one using all the stuff I have at my disposal, others will be paired down (just filmed a great one of those actually) and doable for pretty much all. Aiming to have a mix of beginner and advanced in there so as to provide a slightly different angle to the normal stuff you find.

Bah was fine haha, it was originally better held in the vise but my hands covered up the view so we moved it around a bunch. One of the curses of trying to show what's going on when actually making something. Machinists get the same issue when trying to film their cuts, just coolant everywhere haha, so they switch off for bits. Going to have to bring out the A game each round haha

10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Fo shizzle, fam. Respect.

Looking forward to them as I've got a silly little project in mind and I could use these tips.

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Good video, bit too advanced for me but was interesting none the less. I agree with the music volume, drop it down a tiny bit IMO.

Oh, website query, why can I fullscreen the second embedded video but not the main video of the backplate? :confused:

Edit: Just had a thought, depending how much video footage you have possibly have a longer video focussed on you doing the work itself. E.g. the sawing out of the logo. Though tbh, I should probably not be let near a saw or a drill. Or scissors.....or a knife... I'll hand in my Bit-Tech card and get my coat :p

Last edited: 9 Feb 2018
  12. Maki role

I've been playing around the with the thought of doing livestreams etc. for this sort of thing also, which could be interesting. That dragon took a good couple hours to cut out fully so perhaps a little dry haha, but if the interest is there I can see the odd individual, longer video being an option, a bit like an extra footage collection like I've seen some channels do?

13. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Yea that's kinda what I meant. In no way would I add it to the 'main' video as people who are semi competent with tools would just get bored. And yea, maybe a couple of hours might be a bit long. Hmmm, maybe -wrt to the dragon for example- you could do say a bit of the 'basic' cutting, then skip to parts which are 'trickier', giving us an idea of how to handle the tools/materials, then showing how you approached slightly harder bits etc. Live streams could be interesting, but they could also suffer from the same issue as long videos I suppose.

All in all I'm liking the series and idea, videos and articles, as a whole.

14. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Likely due to the way the YT video was embedded. Will look into it monday

Tags: Add Tags