1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

So someone actually dropped a HODL reference during this meeting - someone else mentioned a 20 Trillion dollar market cap by 2020. Prices on a steady climb since. Will sleep better tonight.

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

If only you could predict the dip. Investing in FUN today would nearly have doubled your money already.

3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Serves me right for skimreading. Sorry pal.

4. Zoon

Now, it would be 2.5x and on the way to 3x. In a week. Mental.

5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Everything in the top 100 on CMC is in the green, most in the 20-40% range. Morale of the story? Next time the likes of Daily Mail and BBC start putting out headlines saying anything like "Bitcoin bubble has burst", stock up on whatever takes your fancy. It'll go back up.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'm still not too hot on this group behaviour, they all went to the moon together, crashed together and now are recovering all together...

When will people wake up and stop it with the silly bitcoin value dependency for major alts?
    Seriously, stuff like Eth, Ripple or IOTA (to just name a few) deserves to have their value assessed independently of bitcoin.

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

The problem is, everything is speculative right now - so the whole market is tied to the one thing every body knows.

Once banks actually start using XRP to make transfers, etailers incorporate Lite Pay and all those EEA members start using smart contracts... That's when it will get wild and the individual projects will be able to work within their own niche.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Correct, however the promises made by different projects are well, different, so shouldn't the speculation on the future value also differ?

If I promised to kick you in the balls or if I promised you a foot massage why would you respond to both in the same way just because both are potential future events? (not like either would happen, but you get the idea).

9. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Therein lies the problem with speculation - no one knows who's promises will materialise, or at least, when.

Crypto is almost literally Blackjack right now - You can try and pick the exact number, put all your chips on it, hope that it moons and you can retire in a year or 2. But most people (me included) are splitting the risk, and a big part of that security is Bitcoin - that's why everything moves with it, because most people have it as part of their portfolio.

2018 will see some diversification, without doubt, but any big movements will still be dictated by BTC and the news that surrounds it.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

A crypto market only dicdated by bitcoin is effectively like you say playing slots or roulette and gambling on double 00.

Problem is your odds of winning in those games are always similar

Bitcoin your odds of winning will vary depending on the minute of the day.

Bitcoin will always be a bubble till the point it’s not gambling. And at that point it might shift in value by below 1 cent a day like real money does.

As I always said to anyone put in what you can lose as there is a chance tomorrow it’s worth 0. However small that chance is that chance will always exist.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's a chance that exists with 'real' money too, though, albeit significantly smaller: just ask Zimbabwe or Venezuela.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

13. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Can’t read without a sub.

14. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

No need to panic, It's due to a planned update taking longer than expected because of sync issue:

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Sure, but you assign value 1 to promise a and value 2 to promise b. you aren't just going to assign value 3 to all promises, yet the latter is what appears to be happening with all the grouped ups and downs.

17. Zoon

18. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

So I managed to bag .5 ETH by placing limit orders on the way down during the recent "crash". Been trading .1 here and there on the up's and down's over the past couple of days, made about 60 EUR so far, so i'm slowly eating into my deficit from my main stack... I mean, I say deficit, but another day or 2 like this and i'll be above break-even point. If the price goes up 10% during that time by itself, i'll be in profit again anyways.

Shame LTC movements are minuscule right now, otherwise I could be doing the same with that (which has a significantly higher deficit right now).

19. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Anyone else lucky enough to lose XRB in this BitGrail fiasco? https://bitgrail.com/news

It wasn't a huge amount so not the end of the world, but a healthy reminder to keep everything off exchange!

20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work