1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Dead PSU and replacement...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adidan, 10 Feb 2018.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Morning guys.

Yeah so I knew it would happen. I'd been singing the praises of my PSU that's been trundling along for several years and survived a trip to and from NZ.

Well, happily gaming this morning then the pc shuts off, sockets fuse trips on the fuse box and there is an unholy nasty smell coming from pc. I wasn't entirely sure where it was coming from until my nose got closer to the exhaust of the PSU and it made me recoil.

I'm presuming it's the PSU - the mains socket gets power and the PSU really smells rank. Windows are open, not your usual burning smell, more plasticy or metallic I guess? I haven't tried turning it back on, it smells like I shouldn't.

Guess I have to test it all with my spare psu (hassle) before forking out for another modular. Any obvious recommendations out there at the moment or should I look back to Be Quiet, I mean it's lasted me an age.

My spec is in my sig although I may very well be upgrading this year depending on what's about but I'll be sticking with the 1080 for a while.

I guess 8 years and a world trip may have finally done it in :(

Last edited: 10 Feb 2018
  2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Since having an Antec PSU that was supposedly highly rated at the time blow on me after 4-5 years of use I've always bought Seasonic PSU's. They maybe more expensive but my last one kept going for over 15 years.

adidan likes this.
  3. adidan

Never had a Seasonic will have a look at their offerings, cheers.

My Be Quiet cost about £100 8 years ago, it really is worth paying more for it to last longer.

TBH I think it's only had issues after the return journey from NZ where it looks like they tried their best to lose and/or break our stuff :)

4. adidan

Just connected another back up PSU. Nothing. Monitor power came on, nothing from the pc, not even a whimper, fan or LED.

Bugger, now I have to investigate.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Ouch. Good luck!

adidan likes this.
  6. adidan

Cheers but I think I may just have been a bit tired and not use my head. Surprise!

Replaced the PSU but used the same cable from the PSU that died as it's the only one long enough, moved the pc and used a different shorter cable and the mobo LED comes on immediately so it looks like when it went it just took the fuse in the plug with it.

I'll swap the fuse out later (order has been placed with the lass :) ) and boot it up to see if we get more than an LED out of it when it's all hooked up.

Yea, bright spark here. :)

7. adidan

Phew. She lives.

My PSU and fuse sacrificed themselves for the greater good.

Back up and running but it's an Antec far too unmodular to keep full time so looking at replacements.

Seasonic Focus+ Platinum look decent and have a 10 year warranty.

Any other recommendations out there appreciated.

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I had a seasonic that lasted a long time. Currently have a superflower which looks Nice(white with white led connection ports), but can't really speak for it's longevity as it's only a couple of years old at most.

adidan likes this.
  9. adidan

Cheers. So long since I bought a PSU i've not even heard of superflower.

Or I have and have forgotton, that is also very possible.

10. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

That's been my pick for my next build, mainly as I've already got 2x Seasonic PSUs in my gaming and HTPC rigs, 5 and 4 years old respectively. Faultless so far and more than enough cables & connectors for any build.

adidan likes this.
  11. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I highly rate the EVGA SuperNOVA G3 units. It's a fantastic unit and highly regarded by Johnny Guru, if I remember rightly. :)

adidan likes this.
  12. adidan

Cheers guys, those'll give me a few to check out. Much appreciated.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Most of the PSUs they make are made for EVGA and so on, the retail presence of Superflowers own brand PSUs isn't exactly big, but they are on the reliable side of things.

adidan likes this.
  14. adidan

Gotcha, so several others are just rebranded superflowers.

15. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Super flower manufacture units for other vendors... they’re solid as well. :)

adidan likes this.
  16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

My PSU was giving up too, so I bought a Corsair HX750i which comes with 10yrs warranty for £120 on Amazon.

It's a great platinum PSU that lets you monitor how many watts have been drawn, to how much power is needed.

So heavy gaming with a GTX1080ti only pulls 450w at 93% efficiency. :)

adidan likes this.
  17. adidan

Cheers dude.

Yeah they've moved on alot since my last buy. That was about 100 quid 8 years ago with just a 3 year warranty and nowhere near the efficiency they have now.

Another one for my list :)

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

It's great, as it means my PC only costs me 6p an hr for heavy demanding VR gaming, so over a year what you save on your Elec bill pays for the PSU. ;)

19. adidan

:D

Aye to be fair I don't mind the cost, the length of time a good PSU lasts it's always a sound investment.

Quite like the idea of monitoring watts used although that may not be a good idea for me. May get a bit obsessed. Cheap to run is a bonus.

Will have a look at em all - the smaller the better though, my be quiet was quite big and i fancy making a bit more room in the matx case.

20. dosmel

dosmel What's a Dremel?

I also have a Corsair HX750i. It is very quiet and efficient. Worth the cost.

adidan likes this.