1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Netflix junction/symbolic link

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ModSquid, 13 Feb 2018.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Hi chaps,

Hoping someone can help with getting my Netflix app to look in a different place for its offline downloads. The tablet/convertible I've installed it on is pretty full and I want to be able to download some stuff for the kids to watch whilst travelling - to date this has necessitated finding the downloads folder, creating separate labelled folders on an SD card and downloading what I can to the internal storage before moving everything to its place on the SD card.

Obviously, this is rather clunky and has the added hassle of having to move things back and forth every time one of them wants to watch something different, not to mention that sometimes this seems to corrupt the downloads for some reason and prevent them being used.

What I'd rather do is tell Netflix to look transparently on the SD card for its offline downloads instead of the internal storage, as there is more space there and I won't have to shuffle files around all the time.

I tried making a symbolic link (and a junction link) using this command line entry:

mklink /j [as well as trying with /d] [...\Netflix downloads folder]\downloads d:\downloads
    and have tried both with and without the "downloads" folder having been created already in either location. When I then go to download something, I get the error code "DL1-W80070005" and nothing completes, but I can't find anything for this error code online.

Has anyone done this or something similar? Is it even possible?

Cheers in advance!
    Squiddy

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Make sure Netflix is closed. If it still doesn't work, boot into safe mode. Obviously check which "packages" folder it saves to.

move "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Packages\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_mcm4njqhnhss8\LocalState\offlineInfo\downloads" D:\Netflix\downloads
    mklink /D "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Packages\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_mcm4njqhnhss8\LocalState\offlineInfo\downloads" D:\Netflix\downloads​

For a techy forum, I'm surprised we don't have a code tag for monospace fonts... @MLyons

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I got totally lost when i last tried creating junctions and/or symbolic links using the CLI so i cheated and used Symlink Creator.

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Thanks both for some prompt and useful answers! I'll give the CLI scripts a bash first.

Do I need to do the move AND the mklink? I thought the whole point of the link was to point an existing folder location ie. the Netflix downloads folder to an alternative, such as the D: drive. If I move it, will it not just try and create a new version?

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Maybe try downloading just one show then doing the move. At least this way the permissions should stay intact.

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Can't move the folder from the c:\ drive - access is denied, apparently.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Are you running CMD as an admin? Did you try in Safe Mode, as an admin?

8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Last edited: 13 Feb 2018
  9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

From what I've read it is possible but it's a bit of a PITA, four suggestions for how others did it in the comments section of this article.

10. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

That looks promising - cheers bud. I'm in the middle of a few work bits at the moment but will try again later and post back. It seems the Playon software might be a good long-term alternative but that's running at $40 at the moment (although recordings don't seem to expire).

11. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Just to close this one out in case anyone else ever has similar issues, I went for the PlayOn software in the end and it seems to work fine with the limited testing of it I've done so far. Will try the other junction point method when I get a chance but I've just lost my main Windows drive so now need to start a thread on recovering that!

Summary being, if you have £15 or so and can't be doing with the hassle, get PlayOn but be aware that it works in real time so you'll need to plan ahead if travelling and not leave it all to the night before.

12. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You mean like this
    Code:
    move "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Packages\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_mcm4njqhnhss8\LocalState\offlineInfo\downloads" D:\Netflix\downloads
    mklink /D "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Packages\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_mcm4njqhnhss8\LocalState\offlineInfo\downloads" D:\Netflix\downloads

What do you mean works in real time?

yuusou likes this.
  13. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

It's a recorder, rather than a downloader, so whereas with the actual Netflix app (and your limited disk space if you're in the same situation as I am with the tablet effort) you can press Download and queue up as many films etc. as can fit in your storage, with PlayOn, it effectively queues programmes up to play and as they're playing, it saves them to your storage.

Effectively, this means that if you have 4 hours' worth of films to download for a journey, the app will do this as quick as your connection will allow, but PlayOn wil take 4 hrs.