1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Ethernet Cabling my House: Straight or Crossover Wiring?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toka, 13 Feb 2018.

1. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Hey All

Im going to route some ethernet cables from a switch through to an RJ45 wall socket. Ill then take a second cable and go from the RJ45 wall socket to a wireless access point for better internets upstairs. For all of this im going to cut and make my own ethernet cables to keep everything as neat and tidy as possible.

I understand that you can wire an ethernet cable to be either 'Straight' or 'Crossover' (where the 2 terminations are not wired in the same way). For my wall socket > access point I'll need a straight cable but will I need a straight or crossover cable when going from the switch to the wall socket?

Hope that makes some sense, can anyone help?

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Straight.

X=Over are only used when connecting 2 of the same device type together (switch to switch, pc directly to PC, router directly to router)

Toka likes this.
  3. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Thanks matey

That's what I was suspecting but Im a bit of an idiot so great to get your input :)

To the bat (network) cave!

4. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

All modern devices automatically negotiate TX and RX pairs, so you need not worry about it. Just be sure to terminate the wires in the right order, because that does matter :)

5. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

Have fun dude, don't mind a bit of net cabling - make sure you have a decent crimp tool - makes all the difference :)

Tags: