1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

With a name like Behemoth you'll probably know by now I'm built for comfort, not for speed lol

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Center section heatshield decided it wanted off the car, solution. Scrub where it was an fit this.

[​IMG]

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

M8 x 200mm Threaded A2 stainless steel bar x1
    M8 A2 nuts x2
    M8 x 50mm A2 penny washers x2

£2.62 in steel, £2.65 in postage...

Add a couple of blocks of wood from the stock room and hey presto, DIY headset/bearing/bushing press. Which I need as my Monarch Plus stupidly came with 2 different size mounting kits (22.2mm top, 35mm bottom), and I need to fit my headset cups before I can start building up the Edit - And I ain't paying £40+ for a fancy version of the exact same tool!

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I got myself a similar piece of kit when I had to press in new headset cups. Some threaded rod, a few nuts and washers and Bob's your uncle for well under a tenner. Pretty ghetto but for a job that'll need done once in a blue moon it's totally fine.

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I bought a proper one a while back, mainly as I use it a lot building bikes for customers.

Used it twice this month already both on press fit bottom brackets, one came in as it creaked, the other was a service, neither creak now after some magical Loctite 248 blue.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWHSP/jobsworth-headset-frame-cup-press-(also-bb-press)

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Well that is the last of the bike parts.

[​IMG]

Because mine are knackered.

[​IMG]

Because mine is too small so I had to remove all of the comfort pads and just wear rock hard polystyrene on my noggin and

[​IMG]

Carbon and Titanium. I can not tell you how many hours I have wasted trying to find a V brake that perfectly hits the spot without needing to sell a kidney. I only had to sell half a kidney for that and it comes with a Tit/carbon lever too.

I do likes a sale, me.

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, if I had to press a BB or headset more than once or twice a year then I'd buy a proper press too. Fortunately it's a once in a blue moon occurrence for me :)

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Everything finally turned up. Worth the wait, it now looks like I almost planned where to put it before hand...

[​IMG]

The stand itself is impressively sturdy and well balanced. I've no qualms at all about the weight on it. It's far from easy to actually mount though, definitely a two person job.

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

That is looking pretty sweet :)

10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Very nice. That doesn't look stable enough to me but I'm scared from a bad childhood experience I had with massive lego projects being broken... By adults that never accept blame to children.

11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah I gotta say that does look very heavy. I remember how heavy the lego box was my cousin had. Amazing how heavy it gets when you have enough of it :D

12. Mister_Tad

It's 17lbs, so in terms of real weight it's not super heavy, though relative to lego it is.

The stand feels like it could support twice the weight though, and it's balanced and planted well enough that even a vigorous shake doesn't upset it.

It's attached to the stand as well, not just sitting there (note the two red pegs on top, there's another three on the bottom and 4x 2x2 studs on the bottom as well)

[​IMG]

13. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Can you hang it on a wall?

14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Nah you need magnets in it and a big opposite pole on the floor so it hovers :)

MLyons likes this.
  15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Big electromagnets on the floor. Switch them on and watch it rise and hover.

16. Mister_Tad

I don't think so. Any more vertical and the top panels would start dropping off I think.

17. stonedsurd

Bummer. I really want one of these but have literally no room to park it. Hanging it would be amazing.

18. Mister_Tad

Technically possible...

https://community.brickpicker.com/f...ng-75192-ucs-millennium-falcon-progress-post/

Quite a bit of work though - none of the top panels are fixed in place, just an axle resting in a hole to keep it in the right place.

The frame is also built to support it when sitting on a table. The vertical(ish) stand gets away with it by fixing to the four main support areas of the frame and effectively reinforcing it whilst supporting it.

I've seen a few attempts to hang it end with some pretty nasty, and potentially damaging flex, so you'd have to be careful.

I think the better option to wall mounting would be to build this stand and place it on a narrow floating shelf - only needs to be 250mm deep.

stonedsurd likes this.
  19. stonedsurd

Hmmm. Thanks!

20. walle

walle Minimodder

A cordless Bosch circular saw.