1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

IIRC, once the £399 sale price ends, the package only goes up to £499 (£200 off on sale becomes £100 off permanently).

2. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

Yep, £100 off is still a good deal.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

If anyone in the Chester area wants a "pre-loved" HTC Vive for £580, there's one in CEX's window

4. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

The Oculus Rift and Touch bundle is back in stock at amazon for £399

5. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

had my Rift this morning, havent had a chance to play much of it but I played through Accounting, funniest thing I've "played" for a while, loved it, looking forward to playing the rick and morty game now.

6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

So so close to buying the Rift. £399 with 6 free games from either GAME or Amazon. Feel free to list some must have games for this, I will be letting the wife and kids make the most of it if I buy it

EDIT: Game are £499 in store and will not price match! Stuff that, looks like Amazon

Last edited: 17 Oct 2017
  7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Off of the top of my head: Robo Recall, SUPERHOT, Elite: Dangerous, Lucky's Tale, The Gallery, Thumper, Rez, Chronos, House of the Dying Sun, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (party game, print out the 'bomb manual' for extra fun), Windlands, Xing.

Mr Happy likes this.
  8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thank you, I should be ordering this tonight

9. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Shooty fruit I think it's called is also really fun. Admittedly it was my first PC VR experience but I played it at EGX and I had a bunch of fun.

10. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

if you got a wheel then dirt rally is a must, cant go back to playing racing games on a monitor after getting a rift

11. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Anybody tried the microsoft mixed reality yet ?

Local PCWorld was meant to have a demo model on Wednesday, they had it, but "technical issues" were preventing them setting it up, they said it should be solved by the weekend ... (This didn't fill me with enthusiasm or much hope for the product LOL).

12. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am slow to this debate as I never thought I would be able to waste spend money on such a thing but I am thinking of getting into VR but games are there many in the action, shooting type thing.
    Vive or Rift?

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Got a Rift a couple weeks ago.

15. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

With current pricing, the Rift plus an extra camera or two (depending on the space you have available).
    If money is no object, and you want the best-of-the-best-of-the-best (Sir! With honors!) then the upcoming Vive Pro will be the highest end HMD available to consumers (i.e. anyone not with a 7-figure budget), though expect to spend 2-3x the price of a Vive to get a full setup.

The current Vive is likely to be superseded in the near future, as there is an upcoming incompatibility issue with SteamVR Tracking: the new 'Lighthouse 2.0' basestations cannot be used with all current SteamVR Tracking equipment as they are not backward compatible. They lack the 'sync pulse' LED capability, and older equipment lacks a the replacement 'sync on beam' capability. If for whatever reason you dismiss the Rift and are determined to only get a Vive, then I would recommend waiting a couple of months for the new basestations to start rolling out to see if HTC will issue a refreshed Vive (to go along with the expensive 'Vive Pro', which is compatible with the newer basestations), or if the current Vive will continue to be sold with gen 1 Lighthouse parts and be a dead-end for future upgrades.

In terms of software, you can access everything available through Oculus Home (of course) plus everything through SteamVR (barring developers who never bothered to test with anything other than the Vive, e.g. Bethesda, resulting in awkward control schemes). On the Vie side, you have access to the majority of stuff released on Steam (some games distribute through Steam but use OVR rather than SteamVR), with software using OVR only working using 'ReVive' to translate between APIs (not seamless due to the Vive controllers lacking some Touch features like finger position sensing, and having fewer buttons to start with).

In terms of HMDs other than Rift or Vive, there's nothing I could recommend. The Pimax '4k' is a heap of garbage (doesn't even have position tracking!), The Pimax '8k' is currently vapourware with some very dodgy prototypes (still haven't even got the lens distortion correct yet). Of the WindowsMR HMDs, the only one really worth considering is the Samsung Odyssey, which is more expensive and less capable than the Rift: the inside-out tracking is at best 'adequate' for very slow-paced usage, but as soon as you start to move your head quickly or move the controllers outside the field of view of the front-facing tracking cameras it all starts to break down. If your use-case is a 'portable office' (HMD attached to laptop/backtop) for untethered use in environments where you cannot set up external tracking devices then WindowsMR is the only game in town, but otherwise it;s not really worth consideration.

The final option is a PSVR+PS4 combo. If you already have a PS4 it's the cheapest option, and have Sony's backing for a good selection of high quality games. Downside is you're limited to what you can do with a PS4, unlike with a PC-connected HMD where you can run anything you want.

16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

There's tons of games on Oculus store and Steam, many free that will blow you away! - But be prepared to have a bit of motion sickness until you get used to it, especially in driving games like Project cars 2, or zero gravity games.

Games and tech demos I genuinely show off to friends and family, which will blow them away;

First contact
    Oculus dreamdeck
    Lost
    Showdown
    Google Earth VR
    Mission ISS
    The Lab
    Ocean Rift

Once they've been blown away with those, then I up it will some star wars fun;

Trial on Tatoonie
    Star Wars Droid repair bay

Then to really blow them away;

Robo Recall
    Onwards
    Lone echo (Gaming will never be the same again on a 2D monitor! So save this one to last, as it is the VR experience around!)
    Lucky's tale
    Dead buried
    Project Cars 2
    Batman

And finally to scare the crap out of them;

Affected The Manor
    Paranormal Activity

There's also some great story telling demos, that are absolutely beautiful, but tragic like Allumette. (A must watch)

I haven't listed all the games I have played, but some real fun games like The tower, (Nothing more fun with friends, than dodging cannon balls, falling to your death, or leaving your blood stains around the world, as you climb the tower! Also - I expect you to die, is a must too.

No youtube video will be able to demonstrate how good VR is. All I can say is "Rather than playing as the player, you become the player" especially with the touch controllers. So be prepared to be blown away in a fully immersive 3D Surrounding environment!

Finally, Elite Dangerous in VR is absolutely brilliant. The first time looking at the shear size of the space stations, with it's life like scale, is truly mind blowing.

So to get the most out of VR on ultra settings, and a constant 90fps, I would in no doubt buy a GTX 1080Ti.

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

But which particular system the Vive or Oculus rift?

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

IMO - Oculus Rift, as with the Vive, you will be spending more, yet the controllers don't do hand gestures like Oculus. I have mine setup with 2 cameras in opposite corners for 360 tracking in a 3m*4m room.
    But the question is, do you wear glasses? As Vive will fit better with glasses on. Oculus has a slightly better image quality compared to Vive, with slightly less SDE (Screen Door Effect - Black lines between pixels)

EDIT - I will add this - Every VR owner wants a Higher resolution HMD, to get rid of the SDE. Super-sampling helps massively, but is very taxing. Some games it's not very noticeable, but others it is. So finding the sweet spot though the lens and positioning the HMD will help reduce it. But the problem we have, is the GPU is doing double the work load in VR as to rendering a game on a single display, so this is why you need high end gear to run it well. So there's no doubt that when Oculus bring out a higher res HMD, that I will jump on it, or which ever company gives the deal.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Feb 2018
  19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Guest-44432 likes this.
  20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Which is a bit worrying, as screen resolution (and indeed angular resolution) and Fill Factor ('Screen Door Effect') have nearly no relation to each other. You can have a high resolution with a low fill factor, or low resolution with a high fill factor, or anything in between. There are also non-display-panel factors that can affect perceptual Fill Factor, like the diffusion layer integrated into the PSVR display assembly.