1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Making a will

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 24 Feb 2018.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I thought that now I should consider making one and I feel doing it online is all I really need,as I feel my needs are simple enough. Everything I have which is not a lot but perhaps a bit more than than a fortnight or so ago I want to go to my partner Edith.

How specific does the wording need to be, obviously Edith would need to be mentioned, but can I just put in the will everything including bank accounts should go to the aforementioned?

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I think there's a freewill month in March if you're over 55 (iirc).

Some lawyers do this and definitely some charities. I mention the free one as I think they'll be somewhat basic (mind you wills don't have to be complicated in the slightest).

Maybe worth checking what your bank account offers too, I think some offer will services.

Now I really can't remember where we got ours done but it is pretty simple. Think it was fill in an online form, receive doc, post a copy back. I'll ask the lass later.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Certainly over 55, is there any clever way of finding who does it for free in my area? But to be honest doing it online seems fine.

4. adidan

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/free-cheap-wills#onlinediy

A few pointers there on the MoneySavingExpert site, there's a bit on online wills too although they seem to have a small cost involved.

I think we used one of them but in some free promo time a good while back.

Edit: just been told we did ours via the gf's Union in a freebie.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2018
  5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Found this and have registered.
    https://freewillsmonth.org.uk/

EDIT:
    How am I not surprised that the above seems to apply only in England and Wales whereas I am in Scotland?

6. adidan

Ah of course. Aye different legal system for some things, not sure on that one. o_O

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You probably wouldn't even need to write one as your spouse automatically gets everything (afaik), having said that if you want to cover all bases or leave something particular to someone particular, as long as it's in writing and you sign it in front of two witnesses (who aren't being left anything) and then have them also sign it it can be considered a will.

EDIT: You can probably pick up a will writing kit for £10-15 if you want to dot the i's and cross the t's.

WHSmiths kit.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Not married.

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Doesn't matter, if you have been together more than 7 years she is your common law wife and everything will go to her.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

We do not have that in Scotland.

11. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

You best not be popping your clogs yet old 'timer, you've a few good years of nerding it up left in you yet!

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

@Kronos, there are a couple of sites that you can have a look at to see about "free" will-making services with solicitors:
    https://www.willreliefscotland.co.uk/
    https://www.willaid.org.uk/

They're free if you make a donation to one of a number of named charities. Worth checking with them to see when this service is being offered (it runs every so often, so they'll be able to keep you right).

Although you could do all of this stuff yourself, probably online, I'd personally involve a solicitor for a couple of reasons: you've just come into a decent sum of money, so you can afford it (shouldn't cost more than a few hundred quid all in), and more importantly, as demonstrated by a few of the replies in this thread, amateur knowledge of the law (especially as it pertains to Scotland vs England and Wales) might not be sufficient to guarantee that your will will be valid or your wishes carried out. For peace of mind I'd prefer to get a professional involved so that you can rest assured that your affairs are properly in order. Obviously this is up to you, but the fact that you're asking for advice on a computer forum suggests that you might be better off getting a legal professional on the case :)

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Now I got a few quid in the bank you can bet your life that something unpleasant will befell me and it would really upset me if I popped my clogs with cash in the bank or at least ensuring SHMBO cops it.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

But in my defence it was in the general topics part of the forum where all sorts of topics are covered. I have been advised elsewhere that a solicitors in Edinburgh does a similar Free Will Month service provided you bung a couple of quid to a charity. Which sounds good to me.

15. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

As somebody who is currently watching a legal battle evolve within the family over a will, all I can say is if there's anybody that you DON'T want to leave anything to, make sure they're named to receive nothing! I'm in England so it may be different but leaving everything to a single person means NOTHING if you haven't specified the people that could be 'entitled' to something as receiving nothing. Obviously I don't mean random Joe off the street, but family members.

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Fortunately or unfortunately I have no family, depending on your point of view, so not an issue.

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Ahhhh course, yeah that makes sense :)

18. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

We're your family! Well, everybody apart from Gary50p.

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Far to many weirdos on this forum, thank god I am OK.
    [​IMG]

Corky42 likes this.
  20. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Worth hiring a solicitor IMO - so long as the circumstances aren't complex (overseas assets, trusts and so forth) then it won't cost heaps, and you'll actually have a real conversation with a legally trained individual, potentially saving a lot of grief for your executors down the line for the sake of a couple hundred quid.

Will writers aren't necessarily legally trained/qualified/regulated. You get what you pay for, especially when it's free.