1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2018 thread - Season Over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 26 Nov 2017.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Yeah - i think all teams will have one by the time testing starts.
    A mate of mine saw that pic and (jokingly) asked if STR is planning on having sidepods as well, since they seem almost unnecessary, given the size of that top intake

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

That's some pretty tight packaging at the back there -

[​IMG]

4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

They package that any tighter and they'll be able to swap the wings around and run it backwards.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Parking space for a fire truck:hehe:

That Merc though, looks like they are willing to take a few risks with that extreme rear, hopefully it won't ruin the season by making them unbeatable or Honda impersonators.

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Also just noticed the aero work around the bargeboards and sidepod intakes... wow.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Probably quicker than the Honda, even in reverse.

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

so the launch event just finished for the Ferrari... first pics here

Damn... the car looks quick.

9. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Proper pictures here

Very basic bargeboard area compared to everything else we've seen so far - I assume an assortment of bits will appear next week.

It's the mirrors that are intriguing me, though. Not only are they going the same "WING" mirror route as RBR, but the frontal shots look as if they have actually added aero elements INSIDE the body of the mirror... I assume the air will go straight through and around the outside of the mirror itself (if this is really what's happening, could just be an illusion), but what glue they can be using to keep them in place with that much air punching against 'em, who the hell knows!

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

There seems to be some kind of air dam inside the mirror body, so the mirror itself must be attached to that, which would be a moulded in piece. Neat trick to use the wing mirrors as vortex generators though.

Looking forward to next week ot see the car in actual not for PR shots configuration.

11. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Those mirrors are very interesting, in fact lots of little details on the Ferrari are such as the side pods with the second outer opening, the little T wing down the back of the gearbox. I do think though the barge board assemblies been slimmed down to look good for release.
    Speaking on slimmed down the undercut on that Ferrari is mental.

Re the mirrors, you can see a cross shape structure so I would guess they are mounted too that, not 100% sure how effective that will be unless the idea is to reduce the pressure on the mirror arm by allowing some air to travel through, doesn't appear a large enough volume to do much in terms of air shaping.

12. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Slightly frustrating that the best looking Ferrari in years also has to be the one with a butt fugly Halo on top...

13. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I'm interested to see comparisons between cars wheel base length and rake. Merc were supposedly going to a high rake after last years diva. Looking at the Picts its hard to tell if they have and of so how aggressive it is compared to RB.
    Damn, good looking Ferrari. Feels like its missing something on the engine cover tho

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

that Ferrari looks bloody good (for what that's worth).
    Clean, small sidepods, Sauber-esque cooling going on there (or should that be the other way around?).
    The back end doesn't seem quite the size-0 that Merc has, but with fewer engines, that could go either way.

Edit:
    Also, a McLaren that's very orange (and some blue)

Last edited: 23 Feb 2018
  15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

...and still no title sponsor.

There are a lot of tightly packaged chassis out there and some rather small air intakes - am I the only one who is expecting a lot of engine cooling problems this season?

16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

with the lower engine limit, I am seeing this as a risk they're all taking

17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Honestly, this is the year I expect the teams to make a mockery of the engine limits.

You can try to run within the limits, or you can run the engine flat out and have 150bhp advantage, who give a toss about a grid penalty when everyone else has one too.

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

That McLaren has some funky stegosaur spikes going on on-top of the side pods, an some interesting floor tweaks, those two long holes are intriguing.

Seems most of the cars are opting for a "vanity pack" so to speak for looks on release to look pretty, I fully expect revised barge boards, front wings and nose sections for testing, or an more aero oddities on the halos.

19. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I'm wondering if they have found a way to force cool the engines by deflecting high speed air into the side pods. Maybe the engine limit has force engines to be turned down so they don't need as much cooling either. There is also the possibility that this is the winter setup rather than desert running outfit

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest