1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips I know Nothing

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Ryu_ookami, 26 Feb 2018.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

Okay I know nothing about cameras so I have what's probably a totally idiotic question but I have a GoPro clone that has an on the fly zoom (by which I mean I press a button it zooms in, I press a button it zooms out). I'm curious as to what would happen if I put a manual focus telescopic lens in front of the normal lens. I know the normal problem with using other lens on sports cameras is the inability to focus the lens. Would I be able to use the focus on the lens manually and then fine tune the image on the screen using the zoom function.

As I said I know nothing about cameras so just curious.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2018
  2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I would guess, The zoom is a digital zoom, so the image is being cropped rather than zooming. I don't think adding a lens will improve anything for you sadly, i could be wrong though.

Sam

3. Ryu_ookami

Thank you for the reply :)

I managed to pick up a manual lens for 4.00 including postage off evilbay so I'll have a play when it turns up and let you know. Worst comes to the worst, I get a £10 quid clone remove the lens entirely and replace it with a c mount setting or something if I need to. I don't actually need to as any camera work I'll be doing will be indoors (I've decided that Cumbrias just to damn cold to go outside) but I figured it was cheap and worth a play with :)

To be honest I was mainly curious to see if I could knock up an external mount for lens that could be 3d printed that doesn't require a ribcage or back bone kit to fit the lens.

Edit added a couple of pics of the lens as I said I was bored so decided to try a new project and play around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

You should be able to use that lens by creating an adaptor tube and may need a 'transfer' lens (usually a magnifying lens) to allow the camera to focus where the lens image is.
    Hacking the front off is an interesting & radical idea; not seen that done.

5. Ryu_ookami

Yeah removing the fronts not my idea I saw it on this youtube video but it would be an absolutely last resort as it looks like a complete dogs dinner.

What I'd prefer to do is something like this