1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How long has it been since your last build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Modsbywoz, 27 Feb 2018.

1. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

You too, eh? I remember buying a pair of WD Raptor X's to raid SOLELY for BF2 load times. Was quite fun to spawn into a completely empty map and have first dibs of any vehicle I wanted. :D

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

A complete overhaul was when I changed to the system below, but it’s constantly changing and never remains the same for long.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Long enough that i can't remember...

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The last full build I did was an Athlon XP, after that a dual core Pentium 4 I got second hand off Bindi.

Ever since then I've made do with laptops, I can't remember the last time I found myself wanting a faster processor. Like cars these days, even the slow ones are plenty fast.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

My most recent build was a year ago, and replaced a S775 build from 2009. Was quite the upgrade.

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Slow things are fast enough? You’re on the wrong forum, bro. xD

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Slow and old is all i can afford so slow and old will have to do...

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Pretty much what me and the gf say about each other.

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Can I ask exactly what effect you think these bugs will have on you? What do you think is going to happen? Am I the only one who thinks this will have no impact on my life whatsoever?

adidan likes this.
  10. adidan

They're going to steal my identity so they can get top level access to a whole lot of nothing.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Can I ask exactly why you would choose to buy a known-broken design when you could wait a year and get something faster and not-broken (or, at least, not-known-to-be-broken) for the same money?

Seriously, though: Spectre is a massive security vulnerability. Sure, I have software workarounds for it on my current processor (which have a measurable impact on the performance of certain workloads, by the way, which won't go away with Zen+), but there's no guarantee a new variant won't be discovered tomorrow attacking the same hardware flaw.

12. adidan

While we're on this I've still yet to hear if anyone knows if the architectural changes will deal with MeltdownPrime and SpectrePrime as well.

I hear software patches for MD and Spectre should cover these too, will physical changes also cover them?

But yeah, not sure it'll affect me but I'm not spending money on another cpu that is essentially a car with flat tyres.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They should, yes, as they're attacks against the same vulnerabilities as Meltdown and Spectre. I'd take nothing for granted, though!

14. adidan

Yeah, twas what I was thinking.

Maybe Intel et al already know though... Perhaps checking share sales before a big release in the future may be a good, obviously coincidental, guide...

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

My last full build (in sig) was over Xmas 2013, but it's had a couple SSD's and a 1080 since then.

Next build is waiting for RAM to cost less than gold bullion...

16. The_Crapman

It's been 'broken' for a very very long time, but we've all been perfectly happy with all those cpu's we've bought until now. And who's to say they will implement a true hardware fix? This flaw is present due to processes which increase speeds of workloads, so will they be willing to let those go? Will you have to buy a chip that's significantly slower to have the fix hardwired in? There are hundreds if not thousands of fixes for security vulnerabilities that get patched each year. This is barely any different.

It all seens like another 970 memory situation to me. The real life impact these flaws will have on the vast majority of individuals is negligible, we just like to have something to complain about.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Because nobody knew how to exploit it. Now everyone knows how to exploit it.

To put it another way: everyone was perfectly happy with their Ford Pintos until they started exploding.
    Both Intel and AMD have said exactly this. If they don't, then they're both going to have serious questions to answer in front of investors and judges...
    They've already let those go, in that the performance boosts offered are disabled when you're running the patches that protect against exploitation (so much so for Meltdown, in fact, that Intel literally tells its server customers to decide whether performance or security is their priority when figuring out whether to install the patches or not.)
    For certain workloads, possibly - but, again, the workloads would be slowed down just as much using the software patches. It's hoped that fixing the problem properly in hardware may result in less of a performance impact - another win for not-buying-a-known-broken-design.
    It is massively different. Believe me, I've done my research.

18. The_Crapman

No doubt it's a huge cock up and a severe flaw in data security, but no one has shown me anything that would make me not buy current gen cpu's as our data is never truly 100% secure. Fraudsters can take money from your account by essentially guessing your card details, companies who hold masses of very sensitive data about you will always cock up, like experian, someone could break into your work and empty the personell files and get similar details. Think all those data centres are going to upgrade all the cpu's once secure ones are released? Are they balls.

You can do everything you possibly can do to keep your data secure, but someone else will always make a mistake, or miss something and some little scrote will always be there to find it.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Somebody can open your front door with a bump key, so I guess there's no point in you locking it any more.

20. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I do wonder the extent to which hardware solution will/can be better than the software solution (in the short term at least), given the nature of the problem.