1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Generic, I Don't Like Thread.

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr_Mistoffelees, 26 Feb 2018.

1. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

When it comes to pensions, I guess it depends on what you class as the "older generation". I'm in my mid 40's and I'm not looking forward to a huge pension at all. People my age have to suffer depressed wages and over-inflated house prices too. Most of us have families to worry about and make sure we're earning for.

The youth of today, they seem to think they are the only ones carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders!! If only they knew eh! :rollingeyes:

Ooh, I done it again.....another gross generalisation. However will you cope???

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

The same way we always deal with our gripes, Pinky - complain about it on the internet!!

ElThomsono and stuartpb like this.
  3. alfizzle

alfizzle Ooh aah just a little bit..

I don't like it when the uk gets a whiff of snow and everyone starts acting like its the end of the f*ing world.

People are too soft!

adidan, Mr_Mistoffelees and stuartpb like this.
  4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

At 34, I fit in with neither the easily offended, lazy and entitled millennials nor the xenophobic, out of touch, leeching from the young gen-X'ers, so I guess I'll just apathetically get on with things like I usually do.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

As a straight, white, male man born after 1980... everything is apparently my fault.

LennyRhys and MLyons like this.
  6. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Says who?

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Vegans.

Those lot are never happy.

LennyRhys and stuartpb like this.
  8. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Email Popups.

I hate them. I hate them for all the reasons why anyone has ever hated any popup. They're bad design and they're disrespectful to the user.

Most of them are designed in the worst way possible. Like, if I went to the grocery store, looked around, then decided I wanted to leave, but then all of a sudden a big gate came crashing down with a sign in front of it, "Leaving so soon? Why not give us your home address and we'll mail some coupons to you."

It's bad design because only know what will trigger it after you've accidentally done that thing. Many pop up simply because you made the mistake of visiting that page. "I want to look at this LG monitor on LG's webpage. Oops. LG seems to think I wanted to give them my email address so they could spam me with more ads."

One of the reasons this is stupid is that it assumes I haven't signed up already. It's quite possible I've navigated to your site via a link in an email I received because I'M ALREADY ON YOUR EMAIL LIST YOUR F****** MORONS!.

The other reason this is stupid is because there's a good chance this is the first time I've visited your site. How am I supposed to know whether or not I want an email from you if I don't get a chance to decide if I like what I see first? If, after you close the popup and have a look around, you decide you want that email, there's NO WAY TO GET IT BACK!

Other pages wait as you scroll down, but as soon as you reverse and head toward the top of the page (to leave, presumably), they give you a big, "Before you go, please give us your email address and we'll send a coupon right now . . . and an endless stream of **** for the rest of your life."

I never asked for any of this. This was bad design in the 90s and it's bad design today. Even if it is a "house ad" it's still a popup.

Moving UI

This is another thing that drives me nuts. I'll be using Autocad (for instance) and I'll click on something (like a line) and then I'll go to click a button, but because I've clicked on something some contextual menu item gets added and everything shifts down or to the right. Because this takes a second to catch up, I'm busy moving my mouse to where the button was, but end up clicking on some new button that's replaced it.

This is such bad design. I get the idea of not wanting to show people options they can't execute. It can be UI overload to have every option always visible, but stop moving everything around.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I think we need to thank the BBC for foretelling the end of civilization as we know it with the arrival of the so called Beast from the East. I myself blame Brexit.

MLyons and alfizzle like this.
  10. alfizzle

alfizzle Ooh aah just a little bit..

Media hype on Beast from the east was unreal, apparently my area was going to be snowed on heavily, we got about a millimetre of snow and everyone was going nuts.

Facebook was full of posts, “stay safe out there” etc etc

Local news pages were reporting to stay inside, loads of schools closed and the trains stopped. For literally a dusting of snow ffs. It was all gone here by 6pm yesterday and now this morning there is not a hint of it.

11. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

humans. **** 'em.

Remember all the bad stuff, ever? that was all them.

alfizzle and adidan like this.
  12. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Wrong, people just want a day off.

GeorgeK, IanW, alfizzle and 1 other person like this.
  13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Actually some of it was a bit asteroidy.

14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

The main culprits, with regard to grossly over-hyping potential bad weather, are the national tabloids and some of the local newspapers/sites. A few days ago The Express claimed we were going to get weather colder than the North Pole, which is just ridiculous and typical of that paper. If you want bias and inaccuracy, nothing beats newspapers.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I disagree as I do not read a newspaper these days and to be honest rarely watch the BBC news but I was channel hopping and hit the BBC News (laugh) channel where it was giving a lot of coverage to the forthcoming Beast from the East and continues to do so still.

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Windows 10 and its apparent sole reason to exist of updating itself.

d_stilgar likes this.
  17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

News reporters thinking that their travel to get to random roads in the UK to stand in the snow is "essential travel" while telling us we shouldn't.

Arboreal likes this.
  18. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Schools not letting parents know whether the school will be open or not due to the weather until after the children should be setting off for school. Also schools deciding to shut the school after the children get there. My daughter's school was guilty of both over the last two days. She gets the school bus to and from school but because the school shut due to the weather, she was expected to make her own way home on a severely limited bus service. She wasn't a happy bunny, neither was I!!

19. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

"School is closed because of dangerous conditions so, get your ass out in those dangerous conditions and make your own way home"

Nice.

Fortunately we got the text before heading out.

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

In Edinburgh our clowncil sent out messages etc even before the first snowflake had fallen on Wednesday evening.