1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi So, what are you playing now?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kronos, 29 Apr 2014.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yeah, I totally agree. I've played and completed them all, well 55% complete so far on this one. :)

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Try the 2008 Underworld, much more like the old games and holds up surprisingly well even today:thumb:

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yeah, I have completed that game, which was epic too. Though I do miss the mansion and some of the challenges from those games.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

This is one of the few games I have 100% completion including the DLC. Loved it.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Anyone played a game where there is just too much to do, from the main quest to side quests to collectables to discovering locations just for the XP etc etc? Assassins Creed Origins is very much like that to the point I am getting bored with it.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Second W3 playthrough, first on the Bllod & Wine dlc - probably my most favourite part of the entire game.

Just chilling in my vineyard with Yen. Contemplating going into space with Elite next...

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Lylat Wars, because it is the most perfect game ever made.

Although now that I'v erepaired the controllers and the cartridge it is a whole bunch harder than I remember it being.

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yep, games like that bore me to death... I'd rather have a good solid story that draws you in, and takes you on a journey. I don't mind side missions if it's to help with the main story, but collectables, or burn 50 flags for the sake of it is just boring and grinding.
    So game developers need to rethink "What makes a game enjoyable"

Kronos likes this.
  9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Trouble is, it's basically the gamers' fault. How many times have you seen someone say "finished it in two hours, crap" on a review of an indie game? What do you do when you've built your game, your budget is almost burnt, but you know you're going to get excoriated on the length of the game? Simple: pad it. "Collect all 150 icons!" "Tag 1,000 walls!" "Kill 100 enemies with weapon A, B, C, D, E, [...] XX!" Frickin' Radiant quests: "Fetch/kill X at location Y for reward Z!" Boom: your two-hour game is now a 200-hour game.

It's literally the videogame equivalent of "never mind the quality, feel the width."

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I understand where you are coming from but the devs also risk boring us gamers to death. I don't mind going for collectables if they include a challenge. But this nonsense that you need to explore every nook and cranny to find one is just plain naff, it slows the game right down and I lose track of where I am though to be honest I am not a great story fan preferring just to get on with it.

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

That's true, but wouldn't it be better if they gave you the game with a longer story line etc without all that boring rubbish, or state that a free DLC will be released at a later date to extend the story further, or veer off with another character? (That way the developer will have revenue coming in.)

No one really complained about completing Sonic or Super Mario Bros within 2hrs, we just replayed them, as they had that fun factor about it.

Games just need more replay value, like GTA V, I'm quiet happy to spend a few hrs going on a rampage, because it has the fun factor about it.

Another example - Rise of the Tomb Raider, it's a great game with a great story, but as I stated in another post, the developers have drifted away from the fun challenging Tombs of the original series to make a story more about action... Why not increase both?

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Mar 2018
  12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Totally agree. I've read **** like "It's not a FF game unless it's 100 hours." Firewatch was 5 hours of intense, addictive game play. I didn't need any more, and I was happy to pay less than a movie ticket for FAR MORE than the movie experience.

FO4: COLLECT ALL THE SCRAP YOU CAN. Yawnnnnnnn. Cheated my way through that.

Skyrim, or even Zelda, was what the recent TRs should have been in that respect. Challenging, meaningful tombs.

Hex and Guest-44432 like this.
  13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The way I rate anything and everything in life is £ per hour. Let's say in an average job I would earn £12 an hour. If, then, I can buy something that offers me more value than hours it would take me to work for it (And thus pleasure, not work) then I rate it. So when buying a video game, for example, I only expect a few hours however I do like them to be enjoyable hours not more work. I also don't like games I can not finish. You wouldn't go to the movies and say "Well, this is the final ten minutes of the movie so I will just get up and leave now". And I feel the same way about games. If they are too tough and I can't complete them I find it highly annoying. A good game tells a good story but allows you to witness all of that story in all of its lovely glory. Like Half Life 2, as the perfect example.

adidan, Guest-44432 and Guest-16 like this.
  14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

As a freelancer (and the gig economy), this feeling of 'how much is my time worth' is pretty common.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Depends on whether there's a longer story to be told. I've rarely got to the end of a good film - which is a way shorter experience than most "boo, too short" games - and thought "if only that were twice the length."

Take Bindi's Firewatch example: the story is pretty well wrapped up by the end, and there's no real benefit to stretching it out any further. Same with Gone Home, the flagship for the "too-short-not-a-real-game" indie market: I didn't feel like there was anything missing, despite having completed it within two hours on the day of release.

Apparently I spent £13.49 on Gone Home, and feel like that was money well spent. If it had been £49.99, then I'd probably feel differently - but if it had been £49.99 and had a bunch of filler that took it up to 10-20 hours then I'd probably feel ripped off and bored of the game, even though that represents £2.50 per hour of 'entertainment' rather than £6.75.
    This. Though I'm still pissed off that Firewatch on the PS4 corrupted my save and lost my completion, 'cos they added a free-roam mode and I was going to let my eldest daughter have a wander through the forest. I still want to let her, but I'm going to have to complete it again from the beginning to unlock free-roam - and as much as I enjoyed the game I'm not looking forward to sinking another five hours (maybe less now I know what I'm doing) into it all over again.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  16. Vault-Tec

My experience with Firewatch... I started out at the hut and did OK. I wandered off looking for clues, got hopelessly lost and never found my way back after two hours of searching lmao. I will have to try again at some point.

17. adidan

Got about 1000 hours in Skyrim and FO4. Each. :eek:

Really good VFM, wouldn't have minded paying full price. Well I say that, can't think of the last time I did.

Contrast that with Witcher 3, liked it alot but after 2 playthroughs i'm just about done but at about £/hr i'm more than happy with that.

Now Elite Dangerous, bought on offer and I can see many hours being lost to there too.

Actually, what makes games better VFM is those with very active modders who expand and improve games for free. My appreciation of those people is without end.

I know Elite goes against that principle but just due to its nature the time will disappear.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  18. Vault-Tec

Yup now see that is why I rewarded Bethesda by buying FO3 four times and then buying the box sets for both NV and the PB FO4.

I'm still playing FO4 (well, that and playing my DS2) and shall be for the foreseeable. I've literally just gotten through the obstacle course on Nuka World.

19. adidan

Indeed, the next ES or FO to come out i'll be preordering at full price.

Edit: hopefully that'll be before i draw a pension :)

Vault-Tec likes this.
  20. Vault-Tec

Yeah the gap between Fallout games is like a nuclear winter lol. I used to wonder "I wonder if I will die before Fallout 4 comes out?"

adidan likes this.