1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Generic, I Don't Like Thread.

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr_Mistoffelees, 26 Feb 2018.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

We had exactly the same thing yesterday, except we called the school first. "Oh, no, we're not closing." <puts six-year-old on school bus>

One minute passes, SMS: "We're closing the school, come collect your kid."

Furrfu!

2. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Just because...

This is the Romarheim mountain pass (picture from yesterday). When we drove over there yesterday evening the snow on either side of the road was about 50cm higher than the roof of our car:

[​IMG]

This is the Romarheim school:

[​IMG]

It is not closed... :D

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Oooh, purty!

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Here in West Somerset, the now thawing snow was the first in five years so, we are just not used to it, or prepared for it, whilst you have a lot of snow every year.

5. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I know that, we just generally find it quite amusing.

"They're complaining about 15cm of snow? Their country shuts down because of a little snowfall? Pffft! That's not a snowfall...this is a snowfall." Stuff like that really...

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah the UK gets it just rarely enough that it's a shock everytime and nobody is prepared :p

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

What annoys me is this, English gritting truck - rear wheel driven Iveco custom with a grit hopper an spreader, this ones fancy is has a weedy plough attached.

[​IMG]

Scottish gritting truck - 8 X4 8 wheel driven twin front steer Merc Actros tipper body, also has a liquid treatment to break up snow and ice.

[​IMG]

In our case the gritters/plows never came out because it was to snowy for them.

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I hate how everyone drowns on about the snow, how unprepared the council is, how they should spend more money on something that rarely occurs, how inconvenienced they been by other's lack of action etc etc. Yet not one of the moany goits have a set of winter tyres, tyre chains, snow shoes... They've done nothing themselves to alleviate the situation but expect everyone else too. Just suspend your miserable face for one moment and enjoy yourself.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Why should I be concerned about winter tyres and snow chains, I have not got a car and what on earth are snow shoes, are they the tennis racket things outdoorsmen wear in the wilderness when checking their traps for varmints? Don't really think I need them either so can I continue to moan about my useless council?:grin::grin::grin::grin:

The_Crapman likes this.
  10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A few years back, the OLD Top Gear converted an old combine harvester into a snow plough,
    but IMHO they did it wrong. Top Gear just attached a standard plough to the front of the harvester.

My idea is a snow blower attachment that uses the power connections for the bit that collects the grain.
    Councils (and airports) could have a few of these, and rent harvesters from farmers when needed.

11. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

That's not a bad idea.
    This is one of the many machines we use to clear snow from our mountain passes:

[​IMG]

And this is one of the machines used on our airports:

[​IMG]

12. legoman

Its been proven heated runways don't work, you end up with hundreds of cats on them.

To add insult to injury after the recent snow fiasco our local council confirmed their stance on potholes.

75mm+ made safe within 24 hours and a risk assessment permanent fix within 28 days

50-75mm Permenant fix within 28 days

Less than 50mm no action will be taken

Standard tarmac depth, 40mm

My cars tyre profile 225/45/17 Can we see the issue here

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Minor thing here: the "45" is an aspect ratio. Effectively means that it's (in your case) 45% of the 255mm or around 114mm.
    You'd need REAL low profile to hit your rims on a 50mm pothole at low speeds.

I have damaged rims (and tyres) on potholes at ~100kph before, though (coincidentally the same dimensions as yours)

That's not saying the council regs are right or whatnot. Just clearing up a misconception here.

14. legoman

My bad, either way its not fun, though if I hit one of them on my bike, that would likely break the wheel.

15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

This is a proper Englishman's snowplough. :thumb:

[​IMG]

The_Crapman likes this.
  16. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Good lord - default notifications on mobile devices.

Last night I logged back in to everything on a new phone and then went to bed, this morning, notification carnage. I forgot just how much certain apps want to pester you. Even after disabling all of the notifications inside the Facebook app there were still plenty there - fully disabled at the OS level now. Ridiculous.

17. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Should of seen what happened when i logged into the bit-tech socials and made a post without turning them off. Which you should all follow by the way :winking:

18. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

This fascination with naming weather systems.

"beast from the east"
    "pest from the west"

How about just good old fashion "weather"?!

19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Because how else will they milk it for all they can?

20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I don't like how much people throw away. 1 week we didn't have a rubbish collection and the neighbours wheelie bins are overflowing.

They're not big houses either, for example there's just 3 next door. I know there's only 2 of us but the cat disposes of alot of recycled paper based litter and yet our bins aren't going out until next weeks (4 weeks work of rubbish and still not as full as the neighbours).

Seriously how much crap do people throw away? Our problem is not having enough room in the recycling bin.

MLyons likes this.