1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

sorry i thought you meant bifocals. and i agree about sticking anything in the eye

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

@true_gamer I should have asked before ordering how many USB extensions do I need?

3. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

2 i think one for the headset and one for the sensor

4. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

so because the screen is right in front of your eyes, you should only need the prescription for near-sight, i think? best bet is to ask an optician, or google/reddit for others experiences. Do you use both the near/far parts of the lense at a regular monitor.

I got my lenses from zenni but they're just the standard $20 ones, and i got adapters for the lenses printed from someone on treatstock.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Doh thought as much.

I think I use both parts of my varifocals with my monitor though I do have the monitor touching the desk, well bottom bezel anyway.

6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

That all depends on how big a play space and if you want to ceiling mount your sensors?
    The sensors have 2m of cable, the Headset has 4m. (Bare in mind if you want to extend the headset, you will need a USB 3.0 cable, and a HDMI 1.4 or newer cable.)

Yaka likes this.
  7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

No. The physical location of the screen is meaningless, because the optics in front of it (the lenses) refocus it to infinity. Because the lenses and screen are fixed relative to each other, you only need corrective lenses with one focal power (yes, this means both near and distant objects are focussed at the same distance. This is a technical limitation and NOT an easy problem to solve). Varifocals/bifocals will just end up with half the view out of focus.

8. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Interesting RE headset USB3 - while I have a 3.0 extension, I always plug it into a 2.0 port to give the sensors an easier time. The headset works flawlessly like this!

Why then does it need the 3.0 extension?

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Oculus has only ever recommended putting one sensor on USB 2.0 and the other on USB 3.0 if you don't have many USB 3.0, so the bandwidth is shared over separate Host controllers.

It's always been recommended to connect the HMD to USB 3.0, never to USB 2.0. I've never tested it myself, but I'm sure it will cause tracking issues. Guess it depends how far away from the sensors your HMD is.

10. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Ha! I was doing this (i.e. HMD 2.0) because I read it as a recommendation from a user.

Well, at least the setup is more robust than might have been expected for Gen1 consumer VR.

11. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

did the insital setup sequence/guide recomond usb 3.0 ? pretty sure it did

12. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Perhaps, but it probably recommends 3.0 for everything.

Discussion on the internet on this point is very messy indeed - but it all seems to work either way.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Rift arrived, and although I can wear my glasses with the mask it is not ideal, so not sure whether to go the have lenses made up route or just get smaller glasses made.

Is there no on/off switch with the Rift?
    I have no sound on my PC when I take off the headset, surely I have not got alter sound input settings every time I use it.?

14. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

It will get uncomfortable even with smaller glasses with the rift after a period of time, let alone if you sweat, your glasses and the optics will steam up. So I would speak to your opticians and see if they can make you some, or test your eyes for VR and order some clip in lenses.

If the Rift is set aside and your default sound is your speakers, then you should be able to set that the audio goes through the built-in headphones in the Oculus app when you use the Oculus, and revert back to your default sound device when you take the headset off.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am going to see my optician and get my eyes retested and then send away for some lenses though should it be single vision long distance that I should get the lenses made.

I do not see anywhere to set that up.

16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I'm not sure. Your opticians should help, or search google, as I'm sure there's others in the same boat.

Just make sure windows sound is set to your default speakers. So when you put the headset on, the sound transfers to the headset automatically, and reverts back when you take it off.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Mar 2018
  17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

It is and it doesn't and not an uncommon issue seemingly.
    Don't need the USB extensions as I have pretty much the biggest space I can manage without moving my bed and the default cables are more than long enough.
    Why would you need a third sensor, what does that add to the experience?

18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I don't need glasses with my DK2. I did at first, then I tried the second lens set and it is fine.

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Whats a second lens set?

20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

With the DK2 they give you two sets of lenses. The first one was blurry AF without my glasses on. So I had to wear them, but as TG said it got pretty uncomfortable pretty quick. So I changed the lenses and it's crystal clear without my glasses.

This is a DK2, remember. IDK if they give you two sets with the CV1? is it?

http://me.pcmag.com/wearable-tech/707/gallery/oculus-rift-development-kit-2-dk2?p=10

There dude, see if you have a spare set of those.