1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

So the two vulnerabilities listed are an initial scan and then the following highlights the mitigation of them if I read it right.

At a loss myself. I installed the Windows patch ages ago which didn't give me bsods so that was ok.

Besides that and just software updates I've heard nothing since. No microcode yet although I hear Intel may be releasing it for older chips, then dependent on whether board manufacturers implement it.

So yeah, not sure what else to do. :confused:

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yup: the first is a "is your hardware vulnerable" scan, then the second is "do you have workarounds for the vulnerabilities."
    It doesn't have to come via the motherboard manufacturer: your operating system kernel can load the microcode at boot (it comes in Linux as a specific package via apt). I know Microsoft has released a microcode update for selected Intel platforms this week, after pulling the last one when it made everything fall over.

adidan likes this.
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ah ha. Gotcha, cheers.

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

So, we've been hit a lot harder than I ever anticipated with the snow. The mixture of the "Beast from the East" and Storm Emma created nightmare conditions all over the place.

We were expecting potentially disastrous winds last night, but they weren't too bad. I parked the truck at the back of the house under one of the balconies to try shelter it a bit... This is how I found it this morining.

[​IMG]

We've had a LOT of snow. I've never seen this much in the south before.

[​IMG]

The dog doesn't seem to mind too much though so far :smiley:
    [​IMG]

Sadly, one of the greenhouses did mind and collapsed under the weight of the snow while we were trying to clear it off :( That's going to cost a fortune to replace.

[​IMG]

Myself and mum were in the middle of shovelling off huge amounts of snow when the whole centre of it just crumpled and buckled. The thing is beyond repair and will have to be completely rebuilt.

[​IMG]

We're trying to save the other 2 greenhouses at the moment and the snow just isn't letting up at all. I spent 3 hours just clearing this much. The snow on the apex is about 60-80cm deep at the moment and growing.

[​IMG]

This **** is tiring to shovel. Since the canopy is just made from plastic, we have to be super careful about putting holes in it. If we do... the whole plastic cover will tear and all that snow will get dumped into the greenhouse.

[​IMG]

For perspective, the two metal hoop bars on either side of this photo are 2.4 metres apart from one another. Bear that in mind, then look at the depth of snow on top of the plastic...

[​IMG]

5 hours later, I finished clearing off that greenhouse.

Why is this in the awesome thread? Because I fecking love snow, I haven't been able to get to the gym this week and I've just done a 5-hour long super-set essentially for shoulders and legs.

Now to plough the road with the tractor and then do some sledding.

adidan and wolfticket like this.
  5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Have had no heating or hot water for three days. Ended up putting on my Yoda DG, hood/ears up the lot. Haven't bathed (will be doing that shortly) because it was so cold that removing the dressing gown immediately made me start shaking uncontrollably. Thermostat read 8c.

Right, just going to make a second cup of coffee, then have what will no doubt be the nicest bath of my life.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

[​IMG]

No care was taken.

The_Crapman, IanW, Byron C and 2 others like this.
  7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

...but did you clean it up afterwards?

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Fortunately, all faecal matter was contained within the sled.

If you've ever seen Christmas Vacation...

The country park is a former colliery, and they're not messing around with the steep slopes warning. The children's sled was not the most appropriate tool for the job, but it was the most fun.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

A lot of stories of medical staff walking miles to their work, of carers doing the same so as not to leave their vulnerable patients in difficulties. We had stories of ordinary folk using their 4 x 4 vehicles to run errands, collect needed prescriptions, transporting medical staff to hospitals and carers to their charges. Local residents taking hot drinks and food to trapped drivers, others taking vulnerable people from cars into their homes.
    And many other instances where ordinary people did stuff that I for one had thought long gone. Fantastic to see that the Great British spirit is alive and well.

What a pity that in some cases, my council for instance had a different approach and chose to cite health and safety and pretty much bunkered down and left the city to get on with it telling their staff on social media to stay at home. I have known far worse snow than this yet main roads remained open and buses ran. This time the city pretty much shut down for two days

The_Crapman likes this.
  10. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

First day back to work since Tuesday last week - been suffering from a lovely dose of severe cold/mild flu (it's hard to tell, different symptoms every day). Last night was the first time I had more than 5 hours sleep... Well, in 1 chunk. Top-up naps don't count.

Still not 100%, but glad to be out the house and moving again - and even better that it's mild, there's no more snow and people are acting like normal human beings again.

11. Vault-Tec

I've often wondered when the building I live in atm was built. I also wondered why they built most of it not facing the sea, and why the houses were so big (four stories, and a basement level for the servants). It just didn't make much sense.. Any way, got talking to the taxi driver today and he told me that right opposite my flat there used to be a really posh race course for horses. They soon realised it wasn't the best idea ever (being sand based) and it closed down shortly after it was built.

Pretty interesting stuff really. I really need to get into history and stuff like that as it's terribly interesting.

12. Vault-Tec

I also found out today that Rita Hayworth used to have a home in Aldwick. Now that is super cool :D

13. RedFlames

OCR... turns hours of ballache typing into minutes of annoying proof-reading and checking for errors.

MLyons likes this.
  14. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

My Nan used to live on the same street as Engelbert Humperdinck

Vault-Tec likes this.
  15. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Got a good place for this? I have a letter than i need decoding as the person who wrote is has terrible handwriting.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's handwriting recognition, which is a less-common subset of optical character recognition. The majority of commercial OCR software can't do jack with handwriting.

17. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Well then. I seem to have been badly educated on what OCR is then. Looks like the letters will just have to stay in their sort of understood state.

18. RedFlames

This was the built-in OCR in OneNote pulling text from a photo of some book pages... Handscrawl is a whole nother matter...

EDIT: IIRC the Office Lens app can dechiper some handwriting, so might be worth a punt, but generally if you can't read it, a machine can't either [at present].

19. MLyons

bollards. So far I understand the rough outline of the letter but not the wording

20. RedFlames

On a scale of 1 to Doctor... how bad is it?