1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Generic, I Don't Like Thread.

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr_Mistoffelees, 26 Feb 2018.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Tabloids simplifying things for their intellectually challenged readers (AKA cretins).

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

JavaScript. So much weird behaviour.

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

iPhone X + Apple Watch Series 3 + 3.5mm to lightning adaptor + Spotify = Random stopping of audio playback, no notification sound to say playback has been stopped. Lock screen shows song is still playing as the timer is ticking down. Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrggghhhhhh!!!!!

MLyons likes this.
  4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It just works...

5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

The expression "adding strings to my/your bow".

Surely adding extra strings just makes drawing your bow harder?! I hereby petition to kill that expression permanently and replace it with:

"adding arrows to my/your quiver"

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The rubbish that i have to watch between programs on the BBC, i pay my license so i don't have to watch advertising so why does the BBC insist on telling me I'm watching BBC 1, then telling me about an up coming program on BBC 4, then BBC 2, then what i can watch on iPlayer, then that BBC is the place for Drama, Oh and then reminding me that I'm still watching BBC 1 by showing me bog snorkelers.

I counted 7 of whatever these damn things are last night before what i actually wanted to watch came on. :mad:

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

This is why I DVR everything - a 30x fast forward does wonders for that sort of malarkey! :thumb:

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Archers used to carry backup strings to replace worn ones. They used to wear out a bit. Probably from that.

I don't like replying on forums, finish writing something, reading it and feeling a bit twattish from what I read. And then still posting it... :confused:

Happens quite a bit :)

Wakka likes this.
  9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The phrase is about having backups or alternatives, not making things easier. If one string breaks, you've got the second as a backup. If my primary skill does not allow me to reach my objective, my secondary (or tertiary) skill will; I have many strings to my bow. The strings are not necessarily attached to said bow, but held in reserve in case they are needed (i.e. I'm not necessarily using both my primary and secondary skills at the same time, but the secondary is there if the primary doesn't get me what I need.)

There are arguments that the phrase didn't always mean this, and that it specifically meant to have both strings on the bow at the same time - per a 1585 letter to James VI from Queen Elizabeth, reproduced in Heywood's Proverbes in 1874, "I am wel pleased to take any coulor to defend your honour, and hope that you wyl remember, that who seaketh two stringes to one bowe, the may shute strong but never strait" - as a means of either increasing the strength of the shot at the cost of accuracy (having more skills to achieve your goal, but perhaps having to achieve it in a roundabout manner as a result) or being able to change targets quickly (which makes no sense from an archery perspective, but there's evidence of the phrase being used to mean someone is duplicitous or mercurial.)

Today, though, it's the backup thing - but would make more sense as "for your bow" rather than "to your bow."

Etymology is fun!

EDIT: Ninja'd by @adidan!

Wakka likes this.
  10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Only because I knowz less wordz than yooze do Mr Man.

MLyons likes this.
  11. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I think it's related to the 3.5mm to lightning adaptor. If I pair it to a bluetooth speaker it's fine. Although I have now swapped it out for the missus spare adaptor and my cycle to work this morning wasn't interrupted! Now I just need a decent pair of Bluetooth cans..... hmm Bose QC35II or B&O Beoplay H8's?

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Channel 4 is 100 times worse, I counted 16 trailers for programs that very few watch in a two hour period. Not 16 different programs some were trailed 4 times.

13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

S'what the fast forward button was invented for, I can't remember the last time I watched a TV program live / as it aired, life us too shirt to watch adverts.

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The ever increasing number of folk who don't leave feedback when you sell them something on ebay. My last two buyers have never left feedback for any sellers, despite having 75 and 92 feedback themselves - that's just the tip of the iceberg IME. I don't sell loads on ebay probably around 40-50 items, but I've only had feedback on about half of those.

I make a point of checking a buyer's profile now and look at feedback left for others, and don't leave any until I have received some, if they are on the low side.

It isn't ruining my life, hence posting here, but it irritates me enough to want to poke someone in the eye.

15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I never leave eBay feedback any more; so often I'm just buying from a seller who is running a business and not just someone punting a bit of kit so I don't see it as necessary.

If I was to buy something second hand I'd leave feedback but I can't remember the last time I did that.

bawjaws and MLyons like this.
  16. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Windows 10 added a feature you download so you can access ssh through the console if downloaded and enabled. I did this and was fighting with my VS for hours because every time I pressed Enter it'd just play a "DONG" noise. I absolutely started to hate Linux thinking it was permission issues... about 6 hours later I tried on my iMac through SSH and it worked perfectly...

17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Have to agree, bought a phone via eBay, seller sent an email asking for feedback, I'm guessing it works on the whole they have loads of basic A* reviews.
    Only time I do reviews if used goods or if they were actually helpful say confirming a part fits etc.

18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I don't often leave eBay feedback anymore, unless service is exceptional for some reason, good or bad. Last year had a seller email me repeatedly asking for feedback but, not after I left feedback pointing out the badgering.

19. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

IMO you don't deserve a medal just for taking part - but most sellers don't want a "Neutral" on their record so I just leave it.

If the buying process is unremarkable in every way - I paid, the thing I expected turned up when I expected it - that to me is neutral. If there's something out of the ordinary then they can earn their gold star. If something is particularly outstanding, they can get their positive. Even if there are problems, the seller can still win a gold star from me with how they deal with it.

20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, most sellers that I buy from are commercial entities rather than individuals selling singular items, so I don't tend to bother leaving feedback. Cuts both ways, too - even if you leave feedback for Business Seller A, they generally don't give buyer feedback so the whole thing is a bit pointless.

eBay has definitely become massively dominated by business sellers.