1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GitHub raises EU Article 13 copyright concerns

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 16 Mar 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I wish we could go back to the 90's when politicians knew nothing about the internet.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Politicians still know nothing about the Internet, so it probably wouldn't make much of a difference ;)

Corky42 likes this.
  4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Gods, I wish it didn't. But it does. A lot of difference. They try to steer the internet (or internet use) without knowing literally anything about the matter at hand. If they just let people who know what is what do the steering things would be better. But their advisers are paid by the lobbyists, thus making a bias-free policing impossible.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just like the proposal by the UK government to automate censorship of extremist content this is 100% certain to backfire horribly.

6. perplekks45

Please don't limit it to the UK. Me, as a German, might feel left out with our incompetent government.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The UK does seem the furthest down the rabbit hole of making an implementation a requirement, but yeah, that certainly won't stop others like Germany from jumping head first into the same pool of excrements.

And no matter who falls for the promise of easy automated control or what content they seek to control, the technological limitations that prevent it from being a functional solution are the same the world over.

8. perplekks45

What is it that makes live-monitoring millions or even billions of data sets impossible again? Somebody maybe should explain those big numbers to the policy-makers...

But yes, it seems to be a race to look (and act) the dumbest right now.

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Gee, I was just in the Win10 article thread... Yeah, that black curtain over the internet is closer than you think.
    I wish the copyright people would feck off. Since the advent of youtube, my music consumption has exploded to the point that I'm trying to figure out where to add a second cd shelf.

Tags: Add Tags