1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HTC launches Vive Pro pre-orders at £799.99

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 19 Mar 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I guess someone must be buying these things!

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I think the majority of sales go to business...architects, industrial designers, planners...anywhere they have a practical use.

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

So they want £800 just for the headset only for a mere visual upgrade? So if you want it to work, you will have to buy the original Vive with the base stations and controllers for £500 on top. So £1300?? (Think the marketing team need shooting!)

I'll stick with the bargain Oculus Rift until the market becomes more competitive.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yarp - £1,250 if you want the sensors and controllers as well. Ouch!

Like you say, it'd make more sense to buy the original headset at £500 plus the £800 Vive Pro Solus then flog the Vive on its own - if you get more than £50 for it, you're saving money.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Even if you have the money to burn, I'd hold off until the SteamVR Tracking (formerly known as Lighthouse) 2.0 basestations and updated controllers that have been demonstrated start shipping with the Vive Pro. The 2.0 basestations break compatibility with 1.0 devices (all current Vives, controllers, and tracking pucks) due to switching to Sync On Beam rather than a discrete sync-pulse, so unless you wait for the new kit you'd end up having to buy all that again anyway.

7. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

This is a point which just came up in an IRC chat and which I haven't been able to immediately find an answer to: does the Vive Pro work with Vive Lighthouses and controllers? In other words, if I had a Vive and money to burn could I chuck the headset in the bin and buy the £800 Vive Pro Solus or would I need to chuck everything in the bin and buy the £1,250 Vive Pro Bundle?

I mean, I'd expect that using the old Lighthouses would lose you the extra play area gains, but would it work at all?

If not, I guess the Solus option is only there for multi-user environments (i.e buy one £1,250 bundle and four £800 headsets and you can have five users sharing the same environment.)

EDIT: Looks like it does - HTC lists compatibility with Lighthouse 1 & 2 flavours.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

That's right. TS4231-based devices ('2.0') can operate with both sync-on-beam ('2.0') and sync-pulse ('1.0') basestations. But existing discrete (e.g. the Vive itself) and TS3633 (e.g. tracking pucks) based devices can only operate with a sync pulse, so will only work with the '1.0' basestations.
    But even if you have all TS4231 devices, you are still bound by the two-basestations-per-volume limit if you use the old sync-pulse basestations. Is is only when you have all-new tracked devices and all-new basestations that you can start using more than two basestations per volume.

10. DbD

DbD Minimodder

It's a huge step up on the V1 vive or the rift. If you were into VR this is the only thing really worth considering, sure it costs more but you've already spent big money on the PC it's not that much on top. Like others have said getting the new base stations would be on my essential list too - the current system does loose tracking sometimes, I'm expecting the new stations will work better.

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Too pricey for me.

But then I've never used VR, probably because if I did I'd convince myself it wasn't quite so pricey. :)

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

[​IMG]

13. Gareth Halfacree

Damn kids with your "slacks" and your "discords." Get off my lawn!

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

What's the number to dial into the bit-tech BBS again?

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Right. What's old is new again. Slack is just IRC with plugins and an SF HQ.

16. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

With a subsidiary in Ireland. (Do they?)

17. Gareth Halfacree

1-900-OMGWTFBBQ! Ten Lines! 9600 No Parity! CALL NOW!
    D'you know, Slack disabled its IRC gateway a while back? The rotters.

Tags: Add Tags