1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How I deactivate my account?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cookie Monster, 24 Mar 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I've done this on another forum too, they removed all my personal info, changed my registered email to deleted@website.com and reset my password. In reply to the email I posted, I got this

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Well, with regards to Gdpr I suspect it's going to get interesting. Who handles the SAR, when you get one?

How much personal information does bt hold? Email address and whatever you provide voluntarily?

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Kay... I'll consult the higher powers. I can overwrite that stuff, but not sure if it's saved/archived somewhere. Even if that would do what you want for now, probably worth figuring out a GDPR-friendly removal for future reference.

Not much - email, password-ish, possibly birthday and location?
    Credit card details, account numbers, inside leg measurement, deepest darkest secrets...

4. liratheal

Ah, yeah, I'd forgotten about birthday and location. Although IIRC the location thing needs you to, well, provide accurate information.

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Only what you provide and IP address. No weird tricks going on.

Hi Cookie Monster, Sad to see you go. If you put in a formal request to support@bit-tech.net it will be dealt with accordingly. Simply put we won't delete your posts if that's what you want.

6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Done, thank you.

Take care everyone. For those old enough, should I bid you all fairwell by posting the picture which shall not be posted? Relix forever!

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Cheers dude. Have a good one.

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Byebye Cookie, also NO NOT THAT PHOTO!

9. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Be good Cookie, take care fella :thumb:

10. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Take care! I too have had a good break from a number of forums including this one for what was a good couple of years.

Sometimes it’s good to move on and can work wonders with helping you discover a new you! I’m back but in moderation and too have been around since before the merge.

I can’t comment on what has and hasn’t changed as I’ve been away too long and I am yet to really explore once more.

It is certainly quieter I’ll give you that and the news is fewer and further between but that’s just the industry at the minute. Innovation and vast performance gains have been and gone so now we are left with mere improvements to efficiency and the odd bump in performance which is wearing but with a diminishing market driving change you can only really hope for stability as growth is sadly gone out the window.

Switching off social media is an enlightening experience that will no doubt help you grow as a person as you can find the true you without the propaganda and so called trends subconsciously influencing your views and decisions.

Enjoy the mid life crisis, tell us all about it upon your return!

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Is it? When it was an independent site I was paid to do two stories a day, which continued under Dennis; now it's a BoxFX property I do three. That's a 50% increase right there.

Is three a day enough? If this were a news-focused site, no, but it's always been about the reviews and features on BT. I'm just here to fill the gaps, always have been!

Pliqu3011 and Arboreal like this.
  12. Ljs

Ljs Modder

It's a shame when long-standing members want to leave, but I suppose nothing lasts forever.

May the power of Relix be with you.

Last edited: 28 Mar 2018
  13. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

The industry is stagnant and boring unfortunately. This isn’t your fault nor is it something related to just here. When it comes to reviews it feels that products getting a review have already been reviewed even though they are new just because innovation has died a slow and painful death and everything is very “samey”. The new cpu ranges however is a very welcome change these last 6 or so months!

The amount of companies clawing desperately for business however by releasing a rebadged AIO or releasing peripherals or a new cooler that’s an old cooler but had a “new” fan is wearing. Even the big teams such as AMD, Intel and Nvidia seem to have fallen into longer release patterns, 1080 is two years old for example. That’s had some run there! For what is posted on bit-tech, the quality is always up there with the best which is why now I am back on forums for IT related news etc and the only site I currently use is bit-tech so as negative as that comment could be taken, there is the silver lining :)

14. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm just here for Alex's 'stache.

15. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It is magnificent.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Depends which bit of the industry you're looking at. I'm working with the Free and Open Source Silicon Foundation (FOSSiF), and let me tell you the pace of what's happening there is astounding - especially surrounding RISC-V, which has names like Western Digital, Nvidia, Google, and Tesla signed up to start building around it. Exciting times, my friend, exciting times.

17. liratheal

It does depend, very heavily, on your area of interest. A lot of the industry is doing exciting things if you're into that sort of thing. I don't deny that FOSSiF might be thrilling as all get out for you, but IT related most things for me is a dead horse. I used to tramp around doing computer-related/adjacent things all the time, modding was particularly fun, but these days it's.. Well. Everything I would have done is no longer necessary, or there are so many restrictions in place (One way or another), it's fruitless to even try. Hell, a lot of what made it interesting for me has been taken out because everything 'fits' now. Watercooling isn't a challenge because every man and his dog sells X, Y, Z parts to fit everything under the sun.

I feel like there's the potential for BT to be heavily weighted towards people interested in modding and/or overclocking more so than tiny computers - Although there's clearly an overlap.

The only thing I can think to do is buy an old Prometeia Mach 1 and a 3D printer and work out how to mount the swine to a Ryzen board. And that'd be pointless because the stock cooler does the job just fine, and overclocking it doesn't really seem necessary when the bottleneck is almost always GPU for me.

Or buying up old Xbox 1, Ps2, and GC consoles and building the same thing I built years and years ago - All three in a PC case with a PC PSU powering them all, and more importantly, all the HD outputs I could cram into the consoles where possible. Ultimately pointless. I could probably do it with PS4/Xbone, but what'd be the point? All I can think of is W/C the pair, and cram them into a HTPC case so both consoles fit in one "slot" so to speak under the TV..

Bleh. I guess I'm just getting older, lazier, and more jaded with IT.

Last edited: 28 Mar 2018
  18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I stopped checking the forums for a while but came back, never something I felt I'd need to 'commit' to leaving can always just stop visiting if you want.

Fair enough though, hope you enjoy whatever else you get into :)

19. MLyons

I'm curious. What would keep you all active on the forums?

20. Gareth Halfacree

If the idea of licence-free architectures anyone can implement on off-the-shelf FPGAs or have built into ASICs and which scale from single-core microcontrollers to many-core HPC chips being introduced into markets which until now have been the sole domain of a tiny handful of companies licensing propriety tech at massive prices or demanding you just buy whatever they're building this year doesn't excite you, then you're definitely jaded - but that's a reflection on you, not the industry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.