1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit of electric help (wiring)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by PaulJG, 18 Apr 2018.

1. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

2. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Convention is that the feed (power) goes in the bottom terminal, which it looks like it does in your photo - the other cable will go off to another switch for another light. The top cable will go to the light fitting. But...
    The first rule is never assume the person that wired it in the first place was conventional!

If it checks out, the brown cables will all be 'live', it's just that one side will be switched and one constant. The neutral will be in the switch box or a junction box nearby. Check the blue wires in the switch box first.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

My guess would be to swap the browns over in the same manner as they are wired in the switch to Lin and Lout. Then add a neutral to Nin. Which ever remains live when the light is switched off is the one to put into Lin. The easiest way to figure that out is if the unit doesn't power on when all is wired in, switch the browns going into Lin and LOut. Obviously kill the power to the circuit you are working on and buy some equipment to validate the circuit is off before working on it.

The Lin and Lout would be the switched live and the Nin would be a neutral to complete a circuit so the wifi element can be powered.

Last edited: 18 Apr 2018
  4. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm guessing you have two light fittings controlled by one switch, if so the single brown wire will probably be the live (coming from the main ring) and the other two brown will be switched live (going to the light fittings) and the blues will be the neutrals for their respective lives.

6. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

Thats the bit I cant work out.. its one room, one light, one switch.. yet there's double wires in it.

7. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

My guess would be you have 3 twin and earths,

Ring In
    Ring Out
    To the light fitting

all the Neutrals are connected
    the ring in Live and Ring out live (your constant supply) are the two in one end of your switch
    the Switched live to the fitting is in the other end of the switch.

Can you the answer is probably yes.... should you the answer is probably no...

Like I said I'm guessing *not an electrician*

Last edited: 19 Apr 2018
  8. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

The live will be one of the brown cables where there are two cables in one terminal, they're joined in the terminal so you can consider them the same. This will then go through the switch to the terminal with one cable in it, which will then go to the light fitting.

The other brown cable in the joined terminal will go to another switch, in another room most likely, to control the lights there. Generally lights are connected in a 'chain' separated by floors, so there will be one cable from the fusebox to, say, the upstairs lights, and then cables to connect all the switch live sides together (almost like a ring main, but usually don't have the last return connection for a full ring).

Corky42 likes this.
  9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

In that case blackerthanblack has it right, the two brown lives going into the bottom are part of the ring, the single goes to the light fitting.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Simply put, Live In, Live Out (to next switch) and switched Live (to the light fitting).

11. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder