1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant So... Asus told me Meltdown doesn't affect my 4790k on z97

Discussion in 'General' started by SinxarKnights, 19 Apr 2018.

1. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Yeah. Really. I emailed them asking if there would be a BIOS update for my motherboard (Z97-E) and a few mails later, I am being told that if my motherboard isn't on their list, it isn't affected by Meltdown. Here is the list BTW: https://pastebin.com/qZhaxwmk

I'm done. I cannot deal with Asus any longer. It's not that they won't update it, but the blatant incompetence of their support is honestly mind boggling. I expected it to not be updated honestly and wouldn't it be more helpful to just say, 'hey we are sorry but we are not going to release an updated BIOS for this product'.

The thing is, this isn't the first time. Oh no not by a long shot. I got a GTX 1070 (ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING) and it developed an issue after sending in the MIR. They flat out refused to honor the warranty and I ended up having to rewire the fan harness by hand.

Even before that they wanted me to send my motherboard back to them for replacement at my expense while under warranty (there is nothing wrong with it BTW), nope!

Asus, your support sucks. By far the worst company I have ever had to deal with. Never again will I buy their stuff.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

ASUS don't even finish in the medals on 'worst customer support' for me, MSI holds that crown.

But, generally speaking, they're all useless.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Liar liar, pants on fire.

4. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

[​IMG]

Do you work for asus? Sounds like what they said when I described my gfx card issue to them.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

haha sorry man, not you I meant Asus.... Of course Meltdown affects that CPU....

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I believe he's calling Asus liars, not you.

Edit: ninja'd!

Vault-Tec likes this.
  7. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Gotcha. Well what do you guys think about that?

8. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Honestly? Polite indifference. This is nothing personal to you in the least. There's just enough real life stuff going on, and this is not affecting me in any way, that I find I struggle to care about the new ways in which big businesses have shoddy customer service.

9. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

As far as I understood it, the Intel microcode updates were for Spectre, not Meltdown. Meltdown is largely mitigated by changing how translation tables are mapped and unmapped in the OS. Additionally don't microcode updates come through windows update rather than the BIOS? So while the Asus rep was wrong about your hardware not being affected, it could well be the case that you don't need a BIOS update for it?

10. RedFlames

Bios/firmware is the preferred method for updating microcode as it'as not OS dependant, but ASUS could well have seen the windows microcode updates and gone 'well we don;t need to bother then'...

11. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Good point. In fact I thought Spectre was the AMD one and Meltdown was Intel, turns out Intel is affected by both and AMD has Spectre (sources seem unsure of Meltdown on AMD hardware). TIL.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Probably. Because ASUS (and GBT/MSI/ASRock et al) only verifies its boards for Windows.

13. RedFlames

Updateybump...

There are now BIOS updates for most, if not all of their Z97 and X99 boards - linky to the list

14. Arthur

Arthur It's for 'erberts !

This thread should be in the Asus UK partner section :)

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'd be surprised if they remember that exists

16. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I've certainly long forgotten about it.

17. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Sadly not even close to all their z97 boards. I'm not holding my breathe for an update though. The z97-A variants were the most popular, so unlikely worth their time to make it all the way down to the E series. Thanks for the update though, you have just proven yourself 1000x more useful than Asus support.