1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Announcement Social media

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 4 May 2018.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Right then everyone. Here at bit-tech we've recently been trying to grow our social media and things are going pretty well. We have Alex @Maki role producing some great content for our YouTube channel with myself and @Dogbert666 (mainly Matt now to be fair) focusing on the Instagram and Twitter side of things. If you could all go and follow/subscribe to them it would help a lot. Also tell us what you want to see :thumb:.

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I totally would... If I had a twitter, facebook or instagram account.

I can subscribe on youtube, though!

Vault-Tec and adidan like this.
  3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Thanks. I didn't think most people here would have a ton of social media but thought it was worth a go.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I do follow B-T on most of these platforms, however, I'm planning to purge them and get off a few of them. Youtube and Instagram should stick around though (just need a way to reduce the amount of ads on Instagram on the phone).

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If you're an Android user, I can heartily recommend DNS66. Sets up a local 'VPN' connection and blocks domains in a filter list. It's basically AdAway except you don't need root.

Not sure if it'll work for Instagram adverts, though, 'cos I don't use Instagram. Certainly works for almost everything else!

yuusou likes this.
  7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Thanks G. I'll definitely look into this once Amazon and TNT get the bloody heads out of their asses and finally deliver my bloody phone. ARhhhhhggggggggggggg

8. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Think I'm already following on Facebook and Twitter, I'll add YouTube to my list.
    I've never used Instagram and probably wont ever.

Out of all of those, I probably look at Twitter the most during the day... have to say though, I almost never notice the Bit-Tech posts in my feed as they seem a bit low key and often have a similar design that I think makes them fail to stand out in a swarm of other technology posts.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Already subbed on YT.

Don't do any other SM.

Well unless there's an '&' in that sentence. :eyebrow:

The_Crapman likes this.
  10. MLyons

Our news stories sort of do I guess but the images posted over from Instagram shouldn't. How would you recommend we stand out then?

11. suenstar

Perhaps mix things up a bit between links to articles by sharing images from project logs on the forums and some more interactive stuff.

12. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

A picture of Maki lounging over his new CNC mill in the style of Burt Reynolds, wearing nothing but that finely coiffed moustache. :rock:

The_Crapman and MLyons like this.
  13. suenstar

That'd definitely catch my eye if it appeared in my twitter feed.

14. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I definitely, don't, and won't ever, do twitter, instagram or youtube. In fact these days I'm so jaded and couldn't-care-less about social media that I pretty much only keep it because my kid's school post their stuff there.

15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

+1
    That's about the only reason I'm on faceache.

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

As long as you so the social media gubbinz as well as rather than instead of doing stuff on the the site/forum... than... whatever...

...not for free :p

17. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Offer a free Crucial MX500 (500GB) for every ten visits. I will then visit forty times.:grin::grin::grin:

18. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

What no PiHole?

19. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

+1 for PiHole, 25%-35% of all DNS requests in my house get blocked by PiHole, we have been an ad-free house for a while now, can't recommend it enough, simply install it and forget it.

One thing to remember though, it is extremely jarring when you leave the house and see internet adverts again...

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

How does PiHole work in relation to websites that won't work if you run a browser based adblocker, or display an intrusive warning?