1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays (ultra) Wide gaming monitor? (SOLVED: LG 32GK850G)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AT0MAC, 6 May 2018.

?

What would you choose?

1. Omen X by HP 35

75.0%
  2. ROG Swift PG348Q

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. LG 34GK850G-B

25.0%
  4. LG 34UC89G

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

I feel like I kind of need a better monitor to fit my new build, not that there is anything really wrong with my AOC 144Hz 1080p panel, its just nlt same quality as rest of the machine, with its TN panel and washed out blacks.

I am reading reviews upon reviews and am getting pretty confused, there is always something not ideal.

--------------------------------
    I want a screen 27" or larger

Minimum 1080p hight, maximum 1440p height, but wider than 1920, maybe even ultrawide

High acuracy colors, definately not TN and preferably not VA also.

Prefer 100hz or better, as I have 144Hz screen now

Needs to have VESA 100 mount!
    -thats usually the point were it gets the most difficult to find, but im sure its out there

Lastly, i see most screens have a 4-5ms GTG, im used to a screen with 1, i guess we are talking so little difference i will never notice?

After a small reality check I think I rather have a monitor fitting these guide lines:

• 30"+
    • Preferably IPS
    • 2560x1080 minimum
    • 100Hz minimum
    • Best possible sRGB rating
    • Maximum 5ms GTG
    • G-sync is a requirement

Hit me with your best options! :)

Now with 4 contenders, let me know what you would choose

Last edited: 10 May 2018
  2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

There's quite a large pile of IPS 21:9 high refresh rate monitors available, with or without G-Sync/DP Adaptive Sync, in 3440x1440 and 2560x1080, around the 34" mark. You won;t get the G2G spec with them, but in practice it makes little difference (and if they have G-Sync's or another ULMB mode, make the TN look slow and blurry by comparison anyway).

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

4. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Im just looking at models and am turning kind of blind..... there are so many to look at!

Right now im looking at the ROG Strix XG35VQ
    It looks like a very good VA contender

Also, it ties in with my Asus ROG motherboard, so I can unify lighting as an added bonus.

Plus, by the way, I totally forgot to mention I have 3 computers hooked up, this monitor have dual HDMI and one DP, perfect for me.

It lacks the Vesa mount as far as I can see, but it has a kick a$$ stand, so thats an ok compromise.

Anything to say about this specific monitor?

5. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

dang, how could i not have seen this one.... its pretty interesting!
    would have to look into the weight limit of my already excising wallmount, quality wise this looks like the best panel i can get that fits most of my requirements. thanks man for the recommendation, will have to think about this one

6. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

PG348Q vs XG35VQ - what would you do if there was a 160USD difference?

7. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Nvidia GPU? - PG
    AMD GPU? XG

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The main thing with the XG35VQ is that it lacks G-Sync but has Freesync.
    If AMD GPUs where competitive that wouldn't be a problem...

But there is no indication of any new AMD high end gaming GPUs launching before next year and even then it will only be a shrink and some refinement of their current offerings rather than a complete redesign, so Nvidia is set to continue their effective monopoly at the top for a while longer, which in my opinion makes the G-Sync tax much easier to swallow.

Specs on Asus site do list a 100 Vesa mount as well:

9. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Wait a minute... I just found the PG35VQ variant of the same monitor, but with HDR support!

Only to find out its not released yet :( that would have been the perfect monitor for sure!

Does the PG348Q do HDR? As far as I understand it does not, but should not lack far behind with that spec sheet i imagine...

10. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

No the PG348Q doesn't do HDR, apart from that and the iffy 21:9 support some games have it is pretty much the perfect gaming monitor at the moment.

Regarding HDR it should also be pointed out that it's implementation is fairly lacklustre with the current and future HDR gaming monitors. Pretty sure that is why the Asus models have been delayed time and time again. They had one at one of the trade shows in early 2017 which looked to be the perfect monitor for me. It was the Asus PG27UQ which seemed to have it all; 4K, G Sync, HDR, IPS, High Refresh rate. Unfortunately they just kept pushing back the dates and I got fed up of waiting.

Regarding the issues with HDR in gaming monitors there are some YT videos about showing various issues with it. Also worth pointing out that you'll be paying a HUGE premium when either the PG35VQ does arrive.

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

According to TFTCentral, the standard VESA holes are behind the fancy stand attachment circle deelie.

(Decent) HDR keeps getting pushed back for gaming monitors, because getting a FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) backlight working at 24Hz is hard enough, getting it to run acceptably at 5x that speed is very hard indeed.

12. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Please explain what you mean with iffy 21:9?
    This is new territory to me, its like 3 years ago since I last bought a monitor and all these terms did not really exist back then.

Ok, I will not chase unicorns then, thank you for the reality check

13. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

What I mean is not all games support the 21:9 aspect ratio as well as they do with more common aspect ratios like 16:9. Which I guess is obvious but if you are dead set on 21:9 you need to have a bit of flexibility and be open to tinkering here and there. Not everything in every title will work perfectly right out of the gate. You might have to modify some settings, change some .ini files or make do with some UI issues here and there.

You will find that most recent games have decent if not perfect support, those that don't are often modded by fans if they are no longer supported by the devs. For the most part the titles that don't play nice are those that are older (pre-21:9 mainstream displays) or from smaller devs that cannot or will not dedicate the resources to coding and testing a still niche display type. At the end of the day ultrawides are not the norm so you can understand game devs focusing their efforts on what 95%+ of what their players will be using.

It'll basically come down to the games you play. If you play mostly mainstream recent games from larger devs then you should be golden. If you like older and more obscure titles then you'll have to comprise a bit, either running them in 16:9 with bars or making do with minor issues with the UI, camera and certain rendering issues. Some issues you can fix, some you can't.

Some good info here: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Widescreen_Gaming_Forum - You can search titles you are planning on playing and it will give you some information on how well 21:9 has been implemented along with known fixes for certain issues. Or checkout reddit / forums for 21:9 support, it is a commonly asked thing so info on a particular games support of that aspect ratio should be easy enough to find.

I mean don't get me wrong, I've used 21:9 off and on for years and when it works it is glorious. I recently played Far Cry 5 on a PG348Q and it was amazing, the stunning graphics filling your whole field of view was something else! I'd just rather you went into it eyes wide open knowing that some issues will arise eventually.

14. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

After a small reality check, I think I would rather go for a monitor I can actually use now, instead of one I can barely use in my current situation. Anything would be an upgrade.

• 30"+
    • Preferably IPS
    • 2560x1080 minimum
    • 100Hz minimum
    • Best possible sRGB rating
    • Maximum 5ms GTG
    • G-sync is a requirement

Would then relocate my current monitor and VESA mount to another place on the wall, I have atm 3 pcs hooked to this monitor, so by then i could hook up 2 of those to the old monitor and 1 to the new primary display, thereby no requirement for specially many inputs or vesa, i would do just fine with one DP port and a nice stand.

Hit me with your best recommendations!

I am currently looking at the Alienware AW3418HW 34.1", it looks pretty sweet, but unsure if there are other nice contenders around?

15. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Yea I have been reading into what you were talking about, thats why I'm now adjusting my wishlist ;)
    should be easier to find a kick a$$ monitor now

16. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Wish you told me that before I typed all that! ;) :p

17. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

I used a Acer Predator XB321HK for a while and it was great, but Acers support sucks, so if you go for a brand like that go with someone like Amazon who have a decent no questions asked returns policy.

Ticks most of your boxes, not sure about sRGB. It is only 60Hz but at 4K anything higher is a bit pointless because it is so difficult to drive with current GPUs.

18. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

sorry, i was actually reading as you were writing and did not see your response until right after :(
    anyway, maybe my thread here can help others too, so dont feel bad, im pretty surely not the only person looking to upgrade his monitor and have to think about the same things we talk about here :)

19. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

No worries, I'm only pulling your leg! I don't mind helping where I can. :)

20. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Yea I will pass on this, as you said, it's a 4K monitor, I "only" have a highly overclocked GTX 1070, so 4K is not really what I aim for. Rather have lower res but at higher Hz.