1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays (ultra) Wide gaming monitor? (SOLVED: LG 32GK850G)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AT0MAC, 6 May 2018.

?

What would you choose?

1. Omen X by HP 35

75.0%
  2. ROG Swift PG348Q

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. LG 34GK850G-B

25.0%
  4. LG 34UC89G

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

That Dell looks very good actually, having a read up on it now and it looks very nice for the money.

2. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

As far as I can see its one of the newest monitors with G-sync in this resolution, 2560x1080, and it looks like its curve is almost straight, which i really like!
    Also, the stand looks pretty good for hiding the cables, very similar to that stand Asus uses.

It's a rather pricey monitor though, not much cheaper than the Asus monitors we talked about earlier, but if it's a better match for my machine I will rather chose this than some I can barely use.
    What other contenders similar to the Alienware is there?

3. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Indeed, it is one of the few Dell ultrawides with a very small curve on it. Most are 1900R but the AW3418H is 3800R. Personally I prefer a tighter curve but it does depend how far away you sit from your screen.

Pretty sure LG do some solid Ultrawides, not sure on comparable models though.

Dells support is first class though, so add that in the plus column! While both Dell and Asus do doorstep swaps I've had loads of issues with Asus and very few with Dell.

4. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Actually trough time I have had 3 other Dell monitors, my best CRT model, my first LCD model and my first widescreen model were all Dells. So I would kind of follow trough if my first curved screen would also be a Dell.
    It's over a span of about 20 years, so have had multiple monitors in that period of time, but the only brand I keep coming back to have so far been Dell...

In televisions I really love LG, but currently have a Samsung, also in projectors I really like what LG is doing.
    I don't think though that I have ever had a PC monitor from LG, but im not sure...

To be honest, the 34UC89G-B looks fairly similar to the Alienware, not so sure what the difference might be, other than its a big jump cheaper?
    Hmm maybe I should consider LG.... Ah damn it, now you made me think again.. What would you do, and do you notice the difference?

5. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Looks like I should really consider that LG....
    Not much different, other than a good deal cheaper

6. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Quite a useful website that!

I've spotted the Dell for £672.16 here: http://pilot.search.dell.com/AW3418HW

Honestly unless you can find the LG cheaper than that go with the Dell purely for the customer service and warranty.

Edit: Apologies didn't see where you were located. Never know the deal might work for you there as well.

7. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

The LG costs right around 900 USD / 669 GBP here in Denmark, that to me looks rather cheap compared to the 1.200 USD / 890 GBP for the alienware around here

8. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Yeah that is quite a premium. I suspect the difference here is about the same and if it wasn't for the discount on the Dell website the LG would be a no brainer.

Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if the LG and Dell were using the exact same panel. Especially when the curve is the same as well as the specs. With that sort of saving where you could put the money saved towards something else like a GPU upgrade when the new cards arrive. So I'd seriously consider the LG as the better option.

9. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Imo the LG is uglier, but thats about it... Could use some of the saving to swap out my hue white ambient bulb to a colored one, to match my Aura sync in the machine and by then solve the non-leds on the monitor, having all over LED in the gaming room (blessing of living in a house, I have a whole room just for stuff like this, no kids or wifey allowed in here)

10. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Yeah I'd agree with that, but then is a slightly better looking monitor (mostly from the rear) worth 300USD extra over one with identical performance? I wouldn't have thought so.

Sounds like a plan. I've actually just purchased some Hue Coloured bulbs myself, just waiting for the light fitting to turn up so I can install them in my room. Does the Aura Sync work well with Hue? I understood there were some issues.

11. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

I dont know, I only have one colored bulb atm, and its in the opposite end of my house so did not think there would be much point in connecting it until i someday would switch out the bulb here in this room, sorry can not tell you more, but i intend to try it out whenever i get the chance

12. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Ah yes that would be a bit pointless! Let me know how you get on with it if you do decide to give it a go. :)

13. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Dell has a long history of using LG panels, so it definitely wouldn't be a surprise.

15. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Just a word of warning: I had three LG 34UC98-W ultrawides as replacements and am now waiting for a return. The backlight bleeding on the screens is just insane - all the way up to bright grey in the corners. Judging from the comments online backlight bleeding seems to be a general issue for ultrawide screens. Also you can absolutely not trust reviews in this issue, they get cherry picked screens.

So if you buy one, buy one from Amazon so you can return it no questions asked.

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

If G-Sync is needed, this one looks interesting.

[​IMG]

• Diagonal: 35-inch /889.81mm
    • 16.7 million colour display
    • Optimum resolution: HDMI 1.4: 3440 x 1440 @ 50Hz, or DP 1.2: 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz
    • Brightness: 300cd/m² typical
    • Contrast: 2500:1 typical
    • Scan frequency: HDMI 1.4: 30-140KHz (H)/24~60Hz (V), DP 1.2: 73 - 180KHz (H) / 30 - 120Hz (V) under OC
    • Synchronization: Nvidia G-Sync
    • 4ms response time (GtG)
    • Horizontal / vertical viewing angle: 178° / 178°
    • Pixel Size 0.2382 (H) x 0.2402 (V) mm
    • Colourimetry: 100% sRGB (CIE1931)
    • Video inputs: HDMI 1.4 & DP 1.2
    • Power consumption: 70W
    • Speakers: 2W x2
    • Mounting: 100 x 100mm
    • Stand: Tilt: -5.5° ± 1.5° ~ 28°± 2°, Height Adjustment: 110 ± 5mm, Swivel: -30° ± 2° ~ 30° ± 2°
    • WxHxD (with base): 847 x 593 x 266mm
    • Net weight: 11.8Kg

17. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Backlight bleed on IPS curved monitors is just a fact of life. Some examples are better than others but I've not seen a panel without at least some and I've had at least five different models from different manufacturers. Personally I don't find it too distracting but I wouldn't recommend if you are any sort of pixel peeper.

18. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Yea I have noticed when I read real people reviews of the screens im looking at, there always something with black levels or colors getting washed out at the sides... Have not decided what the right choice would be yet, if it should even be a wide or if I should just stick to higher resolution 16:9 like 2560x1440... I dont want to make a choice I regret, I am willing to throw kind of a substantial amount of money after it this time around

19. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

My current monitor is a AOC and I am not really impressed, also it has the resolution I'm trying to avoid, because I know my GTX1070 would struggle a little driving that many pixels.

20. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I'm going to throw an LG 32K850G-B 32" 2560X1440 VA G-SYNC 165HZ into the mix - review LINK

AT0MAC likes this.