1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by impar, 30 Sep 2014.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Been reading that the April update may not contain the microcode updates for spectre, anyone whose mainboard vendor hasn't released a BIOS with those fixes care to confirm if they're still protected via something like InSpectre.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I'm on the insider previews which didn't recieve a standalone microcode update and...

EDIT: That's on a Haswell/Z97 system that ASUS deemed unworthy of a full-on BIOS update...

Attached Files:

Corky42 likes this.
  3. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

If you still have it...

Enable hidden items and go to C:\Program Files\ - the hidden "WindowsApps" folder is where I think store apps are saved on the C drive (on my desktop, store apps on other drives are just saved into root:\WindowsApps). You'll probably need permission to enter and by default be denied even as an admin account - right click on it and choose properties. Go to the security tab on the window that opens and choose advanced.

The window that opens will show an owner field. My laptop shows this as "Unable to display current owner" - click on the change tab next to it and in the "enter the name of the object to select" field I find that typing my first name (which is both the local account I originally setup my computer with, and also attached to the MS account that I've switched to) and clicking OK on all open windows to close everything should give you access.

I tested this on my desktop as I was trying to find the Forza Horizon 3 data files - I found a single folder on the 2nd SSD I have (with Forza being the only store app installed on that drive) that was 55GB in size so I'm confident that it is the home of the actual app. You might find multiple folders for each installed app - I've found 3 for the MS Reader app on my laptop. I'd delete these folders on your target computer and copy the originals from the source computer in their place to ensure a clean transfer.

Hope that works.

4. oscy

oscy Modder

What's the deal with the new update? Because it won't install on my laptop due to only having 1GB RAM, talking as if it's Windows 10 when I already have it installed.

5. RedFlames

This via WU or the stand-alone updator/media creation tool?

6. oscy

oscy Modder

Windows Update.

7. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

32 or 64bit? 2GB is required for 64bit versions, based on the minimum requirements.

Also, I have no idea if memory shared with and used by the GPU is factored in to the calculation

8. oscy

oscy Modder

64GB.

FFS. Have to get an ISO and reinstall yet again then.

9. RedFlames

Fyi 2GB is the minimum for 7 x64 too, in case you were contemplating that...

10. oscy

oscy Modder

It was already on Windows 7 Starter 32-bit and slow as ****, so was hoping the upgrade to Windows 10 would make it a bit faster.

11. RedFlames

I can't see 10 being any quicker/less slow... there are a couple of things in 10 that might help but if it's a chugger of a pc - chugger gonna chug...

...sounds like one of those anaemic netbook things that struggled with linux half the time.

EDIT: there is also a certain model of Intel Atom that doesn't play nice with 10 to the point MS just went '**** it, no more updates for you'. Though iirc they were 32-bit only anyway.

EDIT 2: It was these ones

Last edited: 8 May 2018
  12. oscy

oscy Modder

It's an Intel Atom, but an N455.

13. RedFlames

Ah yes, those... they hardly set the world alight, even when new...

You might want to try one of the lighter linux distros [the L word, in a windows thread? le gasp!] like Lubuntu as i think you'll run into the same problems with 'regular' ubuntu as with windows.

14. oscy

oscy Modder

I guess it's not really a big deal. It's not even mine, it's my girlfriend's. And with smartphones existing now, she might rarely use it to play the odd ooooold game.

15. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Installed windows update 1803 everything ok. Another update after a bit of system use BSOD. 0xc000021a, at the moment working fine. SSD is Sandisk 240 only a year old.

16. RedFlames

Run SFC /scannow and make sure drivers are all ok... because iirc that bugcheck is almost always driver related.

wolf5ster likes this.
  17. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

When I rebooted again it didn't boot correctly. I've gone back to 1709 and done a file check thanks:):). All seems to be fine, I may have another crack at installing the update a bit later. This is so weird how this has happened, my daughter was trying to install Stardew Valley on her Acer laptop -intel i5 4200U - 4GB DDR3 - 500GB 5400rpm HDD. She had not used it for a while and found it impossible to work on and HDD was at 100% because windows update was running in the background, it was very very slow.

Tried it on my 2nd hand Dell lattitude 6320 -intel i5 25**o_O- 8GB DDR3 - 250GB black drive 7200rpm which I had also not used for a while and that was also at a snail pace (HDD at 100%). I like to keep auto updates on, my daughter is going to switch hers off now.

18. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

:thumb:Updated my drivers, updated, 24 hours later still ok. Skygo app still working added bonus.

19. RedFlames

Troubleshooting Windows, a guide:

Is it Drivers?

Yes -> It's drivers
    No -> Check Again, cos it's probably drivers.

20. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Problem came back, Sata expansion card at fault, DVD drive is disconnected for the moment. St lab 2 port pci express x1 with a couple of e-sata ports I can't find a working driver.